What to do....any ideas?? plz

lokis_mom

So few days ago we found a husky running around our yard (no tags), he's not neutered (so he tries to mark everything so keeping him inside is outa the question sad.gif ) so at the moment we have him outside with a place he can go to get out of the rain (a little shed thing, but i still feel so horriblesad.gif). We have tried to find his owners and nothing yet,

anyways here is my problem....we got him dog food and he just won't eat it, he'll dump it out and it just sits there....so for a theory I tried (and I know this is going to sound very bad) I gave him a chicken finger i think thats what its called..and he ate it right up and looked at me for more..I've tried gravy type stuff on the food and few other things and he just will eat one or two kibbles and thats it doesn't matter if you take it away or not he will dump it out and not eat it. (maybe who had him only fed him human food ? idk or maybe he's been eating out of trash cans? I think he's been lost for a while his fur under his collar was very matted)

I don't want him to starve till we figure out what to do (don't want to place him in a shelter here he wouldn't last long and the rescue they told us to keep him for a few weeks to see if we can find the owner b4 doing anything..closest real rescue is like i think n hr or so away)

so any ideas??? i thought maybe he just didn't like the brand of food so i gave him a hand full of lokis and still same thing happened...like i said I don't want him to starve and I don't really know what to dosad.gif

so plz any advice i would really appreciate it, thanx in advance

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you taken him to a vet to check if hes microchiped? That would be your best chance of finding his owners. Also google the US doglost pages and post up in the found sections... maybe put some posters in local vets and pet shops to say you've found him.

For the food if he is a RAW fed boy.. check with your local butcher see if he will do you a deal on his left overs at the end of a day its the cheapest way to get the pooch some food if he wont eat kibble or you could try him on some wet foods??? Good luck! Bless you for helping him! :)

Well Done for taking him in. biggrin.gif

Sounds like he's just been fed human food and not much decent Husky type food.

If he won't even eat "normal" dog food then the Chicken wings idea sounds superb. Usually the first time they are not sure what to do with then

They lick them and nose them around the floor, THEN. . .they have a crunch and WOW, gone in seconds

and looking for more. laugh.gif

This may sound odd but have you tried having him work for his food? Kiana has developed a stubborn streak in her and now she has me work her through several tricks before breakfast and dinner not sure why but I'm not gonna argue LOL. If I dont exercise her mind enough she just won't eat even if we've been at the park for hours or gone on a long walk. Maybe he's just stubborn lol.

Dogs usually eat what's there when they get hungry enough. Sometimes Huskies can be stubborn. Here is the link for Adopt A Husky that covers Washington. Not sure where you are at, but there are details on the site for the areas they cover. They are a well known rescue around the midwest. Adopt A Husky

Have you taken him to a vet to check if hes microchiped? That would be your best chance of finding his owners. Also google the US doglost pages and post up in the found sections... maybe put some posters in local vets and pet shops to say you've found him.

For the food if he is a RAW fed boy.. check with your local butcher see if he will do you a deal on his left overs at the end of a day its the cheapest way to get the pooch some food if he wont eat kibble or you could try him on some wet foods??? Good luck! Bless you for helping him! :)

Yea we checked for a chip the moment we found him...found nada...and the butchers around here well how do I say it, they are on call they only open their shop if you are going to buy big chunks of meat.

I have called and left fliers and stuff at the vets around here and called a few shelters just in case someone calls for him

Dogs usually eat what's there when they get hungry enough. Sometimes Huskies can be stubborn. Here is the link for Adopt A Husky that covers Washington. Not sure where you are at, but there are details on the site for the areas they cover. They are a well known rescue around the midwest. Adopt A Husky

Thats what I thought, and have heard that a lot but the food sat there for like 2-3 days and on about the third day he just dumped it all out on the groundhuh.gif...I live closer to the coast. I don't think id qualify for something like that the want places with fences and well we don't have one atm

As far as Adopt a Husky you can call them and ask if they can rehome him for you. Yes, they want fences, but you'd be surprised. The volunteer that came to do our home visit kept 3 huskies on tie outs in his front yard and then criticized my 6 ft privacy fence. He also claims to walk 4 dogs at once on a belt, I think not based on his size and demeanor. You could just be a foster home for them, and they could cover vet and food costs and advertise him for adoption. Give them a call....it's worth a shot!