Should workers be forced to clock out to smoke?

Lil Miss Bump

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - cos I would want to make it as difficult as possible for people to smoke anyway!

Actually having just thought about this question I realised that the only person who smokes where I work is our SENIOR PARTNER (and a bloody Doctor at that!!!!!!!!!) and who's gonna tell him he has to clock out to have a fag.

a general manager of a bowling alley my staff pester me for Fag breaks and then still stick to the exact minute for their dinner breaks... if we call them back early from their break they moan and winge for the rest of the shift abou not having a full break......

it is actually a health and safety requirement that people leaving a workplace and not on the premises should clock out in case of a fire.. but we all know they wont do that to lose money...

We don't have time cards where I work and for the most part people don't abuse it. I do not think anyone should have breaks other than their contracted ones. I am a supervisor and it is my responsibility to make sure we are getting the right output and running efficiently. If I had people popping out for cigarettes all day the output would suffer. I was a smoker for many years and I never took smoke breaks. I smoked on my contracted breaks and that was it. There is no reason why a smoker can't go without a smoke for 2-3 hours. I smoked 20 a day easily and could still manage the 2-3 hours between breaks.

Drinking coffee and tea while working is not an option where I work as we work in a clean environment, but I would not agree with people running out to make tea or coffee all the time either.

But having said that I am very lax with my staff, as long as they are surpassing their targets then I don't mind if they wander off and have a short chat with someone else every now and again. But smoke breaks tend to be quite regular and sharp add up to lost output.

as an ex-smoker, I would like to say YES, they should be made to make the time up somehow, if, as Marc suggests, you work somewhere where you are trusted & you don't have cards, then the least you can do is make up the time spent outside puffing away. Why should I work a 37 hr week & get paid £xx and miss smoker next to me have 10 fag breaks a day, working less hours, being less productive yet still getting the same pay? I work in an environment where we don't have specific tasks to complete, ours is an on-going role. This smoker not only has 10 fag breaks but takes 15 mins in a morning, every morning to go the kitchen in work & make herself toast :rolleyes: .