How long do you walk your dogs each day

siberian_wolf

I know sinead (Sid_Wolf) has asked a very similar question on here but I need to ask something more specific as me and jamie have clashed as to how long the dogs should be walked (The topic came up over something different which is another story).

I swear jamie thinks we have small dogs which dont need alot of exercise as it never seems to me that he understands that we have siberian huskies that are a working breed which need ALOT of energetic exercise not a little walk around the block (about 5mins)

Walking all 3, we go out in the morning for about 10mins then after brekfast we go out for about 3hrs and hen in the evening we out for about 1-2hrs so in total we go out for a minimum of 4hrs 10mins a day walking and they also have the garden to run around in.

Before I got the canny collars I used to walk Gizmo for about 2hrs a day and Marley and Bandit together for about 2hrs and the garden too which I always felt wan't enough exercise for them but where I had to walk them like that and has loads of other things to do in the day I had no other options as that was all the time I had to walk them!

Just wondering what all of you think on this? How long do you take your dogs out for each day? Obviously every dog is different and some prefer longer walks than the next but I'm just curious if anyone else thinks I take my boys out too long :huh:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey....we dont have a set regime as we both work full time and I work shifts.....so he USUALLY gets at least 1 45min walk in the evening, he is out in the back garden for at least an hour in the garden before we go to work....and then he has our attention all night, messing around in the back garden, playing-bezzing up and down with me! lol

weekends are much different, he gets long walks at least one day.....about 2-3 hours......

he is so chilled out for a husky (well huskamute....or whatever!) if we walk him he'll come home and sleep for aaaages.....maybe he's older than 3 we don't know but he definately doesn't need anywhere near as much exercise as some other peoples dogs......

xxxx

if they are happy and content then keep it up, can u imagine what they will be like if the are used to getting 4 hours a day then it drops down to an hour? they are gonna be soooo hyper!

mine only get 3 walks a day, they used to get 6 before my mum got ill then i had to cut it down to 4 , now we only have time for 3 walks a day and the walks last about 20 mins to half hour in total

so mine get 1 hour to an hour and a half but they are happy and content with what they get :)

Do what suits you and your dogs x

Mine will get up to an hour a day but also get to run around lots in our garden, which is plenty big enough for them to run around in. Plus they will often get to run around with our working dogs.

But i must say mine are not bothered either way, there are the odd days they dont get walked and they are still happy just to play together and chill out with us.

Hey just noticed you live in Poole aswell.

I saw a lady walk 3 huskys at 9am in creekmoor, was it you?

We have a male he is 18months and i walk him off lead for 10 mins in the morning and off lead for 1-2 hours in the evening.

We are lucky as we live 200 yards from the heath, he is on the lead on the way and if hes good he can walk back off lead.

Mike

it varies but when he is worked in harness the next day he will just get a 20min casual work and play time in the garden. then the other days again it varies but usually a good hour or so plus playing, at least once a week he has a walk with other huskys and that is far more stimulating for him and this shatters him!

We have a very happy content husky & whilst i know he doesnt have as much as what some demand but i find if he has a run in harness 1-2 a week this really takes his energy levels out of him and we can 'top' him up with walks.

Today he was in and out of the garden all day following me around and then had a walk for about 30mins with a back pack on - this really satisfied him

Paul and I disagree on exercise levels so i just get on with it as i know he needs more than he thinks. my way is the right way cos he is so happy and chilled!! ;)

I am very careful with his diet so he doesnt have excess energy from over feeding etc

Depends, sometimes 20 minutes, other times 4 hours (like a dog park walk), on days when they go out in harness they dont get walked.

Your dogs need whatever they're used to, if you take them 4 miles every single day, then they're going to struggle to settle with less than that, or if you miss a day.

I vary our distance/time outside each time, so they dont need a certain amount, so my 2 are happy with 20 minutes round the park, or an hour wandering the streets. If we take them to the dog park, they're usually shattered for at least 2 days :lol:

When I work they are normally running around playing with everyone they can for about 6 hours or so. Full day shifts are around 12 hours of playtime. They nap in between, but mostly they're running and wrestling.

When i'm off, I take them to the dog park from anywhere to an hour and a half to 2 hours depending. If it's nice out, we stay as long as possible.

They get walks in the morning and at night, but it's just a quick one round the block to empty their bowls lol

It's a good system. They don't get too crazy in the house and they sleep most of the time honestly blink.gif

Hey just noticed you live in Poole aswell.

I saw a lady walk 3 huskys at 9am in creekmoor, was it you?

We have a male he is 18months and i walk him off lead for 10 mins in the morning and off lead for 1-2 hours in the evening.

We are lucky as we live 200 yards from the heath, he is on the lead on the way and if hes good he can walk back off lead.

Mike

Thats very likely I did walk around there yesterday but not sure what time it was though we walk everywhere!

Is your boy black and white? Ive seen a black white boy around upton heath once but was at least a month ago, I was talking to a lady at the time (think I only hadand a ladywalked past with him, I think he was about te same age as yours. We will have to arrange a meet up for a walk sometime :D I dont have mine off lead but I can bring the long lead and one of the boys over for a play (Can handle all 3 on long leads on my own) :D

I know sinead (Sid_Wolf) has asked a very similar question on here but I need to ask something more specific as me and jamie have clashed as to how long the dogs should be walked (The topic came up over something different which is another story).

I swear jamie thinks we have small dogs which dont need alot of exercise as it never seems to me that he understands that we have siberian huskies that are a working breed which need ALOT of energetic exercise not a little walk around the block (about 5mins)

Walking all 3, we go out in the morning for about 10mins then after brekfast we go out for about 3hrs and hen in the evening we out for about 1-2hrs so in total we go out for a minimum of 4hrs 10mins a day walking and they also have the garden to run around in.

Before I got the canny collars I used to walk Gizmo for about 2hrs a day and Marley and Bandit together for about 2hrs and the garden too which I always felt wan't enough exercise for them but where I had to walk them like that and has loads of other things to do in the day I had no other options as that was all the time I had to walk them!

Just wondering what all of you think on this? How long do you take your dogs out for each day? Obviously every dog is different and some prefer longer walks than the next but I'm just curious if anyone else thinks I take my boys out too long :huh:

I think that if you have always done that amount of exercise its fine. I do not do nearly as much as that with my guys and really wish I had the time to do that amount because they would probably love it and be far better behaved :D.

I do about two hours on days off split into 4 walks (for merlins leg) and probably and hour on work days again split into 4. The greyhound stays at home as she is good and easy for mum to care for so she gets two good runs for half hour to an hour every day.

Its not alot, BUT its all they have ever done so they don't know any different. Only the greyhound is amazingly fit (being a sprinter) and merlin is ready for a sleep as soon as he gets back from his walk. All three have access to the garden (which is big) on my days off and on work days merlin and rosie are in a dog compound. Rosie gets to play with 2-3 other dogs every day at work so she gets other exercise there as well.

Personnaly I think mental stimulation is just as important as the physical so they get alot of stuff to do that requires brain power. It certianly wears them out :)

If your happy giving your dogs that amount of exercise you go for it! They are all fit, healthy huskies designed for endurance

Thats very likely I did walk around there yesterday but not sure what time it was though we walk everywhere!

Is your boy black and white? Ive seen a black white boy around upton heath once but was at least a month ago, I was talking to a lady at the time (think I only hadand a ladywalked past with him, I think he was about te same age as yours. We will have to arrange a meet up for a walk sometime :D I dont have mine off lead but I can bring the long lead and one of the boys over for a play (Can handle all 3 on long leads on my own) :D

med_gallery_2202_686_90739.jpgHe's Brown,White & Black :D

We always walk him on upton Heath, I have seen many Huskies walking at this heath.

We should meet sometime I can walk mine on a long lead he does't mine too much.

Mike.

Personnaly I think mental stimulation is just as important as the physical so they get alot of stuff to do that requires brain power. It certianly wears them out :)

I couldn't agree with you more on that. As a working breed they need the mental stimulation just as much as the physical :)

med_gallery_2202_686_90739.jpgHe's Brown,White & Black :D

We always walk him on upton Heath, I have seen many Huskies walking at this heath.

We should meet sometime I can walk mine on a long lead he does't mine too much.

Mike.

No he's not the other one I've seen, which can only mean a good thing - Theres more huskies around here than I first thought :D

I'd love to meet up sometime. Im free most days to meet. I will pm you my mobile number and we can sort something out :)

I am lucky to say that mine are ok with a variety of exercises which makes it easier for if theres a storm or a badly busy day.

Someone was talking about mental stimulation before me, trust me its just as good if not better sometimes than long walks.

I do tricks with mine where they catch treats in mid air, fetch toys, do training that they dont realize they are doing etc, lol.

Plus, on most days we do 3 to 5 mile walks in the afternoons. Now that these two are old enough I dont necessarily place a time limit,

but rather I choose a route and we go a certain distance at a pace that is comfortable for all of us.

Amazingly, most of the time our walks are pretty peaceful these days. :)

My boy gets a brisk walk of no less than 30 min a day after I get out of work, often closer to an hour, and usually at least one 2-hour walk on weekends plus the odd dog park day thrown in where he gets to run until he drops. He seems fine with this for now, but the weather has finally started to get cooler, so I may start adding two 15-min walks early morning and at lunch.

Each day, he will also play a great deal inside (he brings us his toy to play fetch and jump to catch it in the house (fortunately, our house layout suits this).