Where do your dogs travel in the car?

SarahNukka&Shadow

So I bought the Dogs Monthly magazine to read Nixys article but in the same issue is a story about a a lady who went on holiday with her dogs but was in a nasty car accident on her way there, the whole back end of her car was smashed in (apparently its designed as the crumple zone!!) So the only reason her dogs survived the crash was becuase she had them in the back seat in harnesses and seatbelt straps! If they had been in the boot of her car they would have been crushed to death!!!!

This co-insides with a discussion I had with my family about where I would put my dogs to travel when I got a car! So I have descided they will never go in the boot ever!!

So I guess Im posting this as kind of a warning to those who put their dogs in the boot! If you are going to do that you should look into getting them a crush proof crate "safedog" crates and those like it are designed to crumple to take the impact of a crash while still maintaining their shape so the dog is safe inside it.

I think Im going to be getting my pooches seatbelt staps when I get a car! :huh:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw that too, its scary isnt it! we put ours in the boot but am thinking twice about that now! those dogs are sooo lucky to still be alive, scary to think what would have happened if they didnt put them on the back seat !

the pics they show are so bad too, only the boot was effected in the crash the rest of the car had no damage to it

In the car (a Vauxhall Zafira), we have ours in a crushproof dog cage which is a foot or so away from the actual rear of the car, so there is some "crumple" room before the actual cage is hit. A couple of years ago, an accident similar to the one described (but involving a dog van) led us to completely rearrange the layout of the cages in our van. Up until then, we had the cages towards the rear of the van so that we could access them from either inside the van or from the rear doors. After hearing about the accident which killed several dogs when a vehicle ploughed into the back of a van, we rearranged the cages along the side of the van. Of course, they are still vulnerable to a side impact, but you cannot remove all risks, just the most likely ones.

Mick

Just an average VW polo Sarah.. god you should see the pics their terrifing and I thought of you as I know your boys go in the back! :(

I had an mark 2 golf many years ago,absolutely loved it! Was in great condition too.

I had only had it a couple of months when some twat drove into the back of me at about 40 mph,needless to say it was written off.

Even though the car protected me well ( I got away with severe whiplash from my seatbelt) it was pretty smashed up. The front was smashed up from being pushed into the car in front and the boot had totally caved in pushing the rear seats almost into the back of my front seats.

The whole body of the car was buckled and twisted. I still consider myself lucky to have been able to walk away from the car.

I guess it could have been a lot worse in a weaker car

Saying that I now have a VW Lupo

Help me out here everyone...the boot? Do you mean the trunk as we would say on this side of the ocean? For now mine are in the back seat. I do need to get them a tether though to harness them in. They are surprisingly well behaved back there also. Used to have a Ford Explorer and they would also go in the middle seat (back) or put the seats down and put a crate in!

Polee always travels in the boot as she's never liked the back seat. I now have a Honda CRV which has fairly good crash protection although it's always a concern that some idiot won't be looking where their going. Tried a cage in the back of the car but she doesn't like it so only option is the boot and is the reason why I changed from a Vauxhall Astra to the CRV

Help me out here everyone...the boot? Do you mean the trunk as we would say on this side of the ocean?

Yeah. . . :lol: the trunk.

We have a Citroen Zsara estate and our 3 ride in the boot (trunk) There is a hefty barrier arrangement to stop them from getting over into the main cabin area. If they are on the back seat even strapped in with a proper seat belt harness they go nuts 'cause they wan't to get into the front seats with us.

The chances of someone hitting me from behind. . . minimal. With the dogs on the back seat, the chances of me being distracted by them playfighting, or getting stressed wanting to get up front, almost guaranteed. probably end up with me rearending someone else coz I'm paying more attention to the dogs than on the road.

Best car for safety I ever had was an old Saab 900i. ( this was before I had dogs )I was sat at the bottom of a slip road waiting for traffic to clear when a guy in a new BMW hit me from behind at approx 60mph (he was on his mobile phone coming down the slip road off a dual carriageway)ohmy.gif.

The Saab had a crease in the left rear wing and the boot lid didn't want to close properly, because the chassis had been bent it was a write off, but it was still very driveable even after a 60mph rearender.smile.gif

The Beamer on the other hand. . .well the bonnet was about 4 foot shorter and the engine was in the front seat. laugh.gif

i have a honda CRV with a crate in the back, if he was on the back seat then i would have an accident with him going nuts!

I would be interested what the NCAP safety rating is for that type of car, i know my car is a 4 (out of 5)...but i think they only test front impact collisions (not 100% sure).

Glad they all got out ok though, but yes its something to think about. I did have my back seats down and moved the crate to the middle but then i couldnt leave him in there (even if i went in to a shop to get some milk or something) cos the movement would set the alarm off - where as the movement in the rear doesnt.

When I used to have my SUV (and just 1 dog... good lord that was long ago...) They rode in the way back. Much like the van pictured. When I got Cheyenne I started putting the backseats down so they could have the whole body of the car to lay down in. And I lost my backseat lol

But now with the truck they ride in the truck bed when we're going to the dog park and home, which is only a 10 minute drive through the neighborhood, no major roads. When we go any place else they all climb in the cab since I have a 4-door. I never worry about being rear ended with them in there since it's got a 6ft bed as well as a hitch. I do miss having a big SUV...

The crumple zones are a huge safety feature, so if your car has a high safety rating, its pretty Likly that the back end would crumple like a paper bag - their safety ratings aren't designed with your boot contents in mind.

For now mine go in the back seat and passenger seat with a seatbelt harness, though I'd like to get something like a hilts in the future.