Microchip not the normal question on them

KSNS

Ok so i now have sakari back and buying the guy a beer but here is where i am stumped.

She is micro chipped i was there when it was done i have seen her scanned many many times now the guy took her to the vets and the vet scanned her all over and no sign of the microchip i know they can move and slip around to the front but allegedly the vet scanned her all over and nothing any one else had this and do we actualy need to get them redone after a certain amount of time :S...!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was taking Bear to the vets once and they were scanning a westie for a chip.

It was eventually found in her armpit area. ohmy.gif

Some scanners don't pick up certain chip types/manufacturers. There was a movement a while back to try and get everyone put on the same chip or at least have a reader that could pick up all chips, but not sure what happened with that. Have her re-scanned some place where it's been scanned before to check... but most likely it was that whatever scanner they used, wasn't one that picked up the kind of chip in her.

thunders breeder told me not to get him chipped until he's bigger cos if its not done properly (ie not in far enough) it will come out. this happened to one of her dogs...she thougth he was chipped..but nope it was no longer there!

I guess this is something which should be checked on a regular basis at the vets to make sure its still there

I would get the vets to check the chips at least once a year - they're electronic devices at the end of the day and can fail - also, the power for the chip comes from the scanner - a radio signal inducts a current into a coil which allows the chip to send its number back to the scanner. I'd guess that there's a maximum distance the scanner is effective to - if the chip's moved towards the middle of the body, it might be out of range....

i used to have a british blue cat (b4 he vanished 2 and a hlf yr ago :( ), he was chipped- although i dont know what type it was and sometimes the scan at our vets wouldnt pick it up...he told us that i can move around slightly- god knows how like??? maybe its the same for dogs too????? thats not for defo, jst a thought....:huh:

i've just emailed thunder's breeder to get her opinion on pet tattooing...just out of interest i would like her opinion. i dont know anything about it myself.

As husky ears are standing up and you can see in them i would look rather odd being about to see a code printed on the inside..but if it meant i'd get my boys back...then its something to think about ????

info should be here - if i did correctly!

My link

ooh i dunno, bingo was chipped when we got him 8 years ago, hasnt needed to be scanned, and never will - every1 around the area knows who bingo is and where he lives lol, he has a tag too but if he didnt it wouldnt matter, might get them all checked when they have their booster vaccs tho just to be on the safe side

I have heard that the fact that they move and that sometimes certain scanners don't get them, my vet has like 3 diff scanners for that reason

• Depending on the brand of microchip and the year it was implanted, even so-called universal scanners may not be able to detect the microchip.
http://dogs.about.com/od/toyssupplies/a/microchipping.htm

Not sure about the UK but here there are three diff kinds of chips and there are about 15 diff kinds of scanners that all read at diff frequencies

• ISO Conformant Full Duplex
  • The Trovan Unique
  • FECAVA type or Destron
  • AVID brand Friendchip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(animal)

when we got loki's done our vet suggested either get a tag that says im micro-chipped or x-ray me (because if it doesn't come up on the scanner in the xray will show it, and that way they can try to find a diff scanner to scan the dog with)

thats great but i cant imagine for one moment a rescue centre with very limited funds would get a vet to x-ray...may be they would but i would be surprised

Yeah there are different ones. When I was getting the dogs done for moving from the US to the UK they had to have a particular chip so that it could be read by the scanners at Gatwick.

I haven't had any of my animals chips checked lately. Might be worth doing when I take them to the vet again. Not like anyone wouldn't know where my two belonged around here though....Nikita is a bit noticeable to say the leastsmile.gif