Marking my home

chumee

We have a lot of space around our home and when our boys are loose, they go around marking their territory freely and at their leisure. I recently moved to a flat close by. I'd like to take Azure with me (as selfish as that may be). He is 9 months now and when I take him for a 'visit', he tries to mark random areas in the flat - like my brand new couch, or the cupboards, etc... Is there any way to get him to stop?

If they aren't yet neutered, this might help - intact dogs have more "need" to mark territory, and while neutered and spayed dogs still will mark, it often isn't as extreme. You might also want to keep him on leash when you take him to visit; in keeping him near you, if you are watching/paying attention, hopefully you can catch him as it occurs to him to mark, and firmly tell him "No!", pulling him away from what he was going to mark. If you can do this (timing is very important - try to catch him just before he does it!) consistently a number of times, you may get the idea across to him that certain areas are not permissible places to mark. Designate a specific area or areas where it is ok, and take him there to relieve himself. If you have a specific command when you want him to relieve himself, say it when you take him to the designated area. Good luck!