Runny poo

Stormy

Shadow had has runny poo for probably about four days now it started because Liam put his food up a bit to much so I've put it back to normal now but he's still got really runny poo usually it's starting to become hard again by now any ideas? He does keep eating random stuff on walks etc (he's to quick for me to get it out of his mouth) he seems fine in himself all other ways

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Lyra had really runny poo for a while, we withheld food for 24 hours and gave her cooked rice/boiled chicken breast. We kind of eyeballed the amount, but it was probably about 1/4 cup rice and 1/4 cup chicken three times a day for a few days. Then I became concerned because she completely stopped going poo, but the vet said that's normal because the rice/chicken is more digestible.

If you're worried about the rice, you could also do a scrambled egg/chicken bland diet. You can also try mixing in a little bit of plain yogurt and pumpkin.

Will he be alright with no food for 24 hours :|

Yes Shadow will be ok, however he may howl and scream and shout because he's hungry. :(

we boiled the chicken with the rice. the rice just acts as a filler to help him feel full, also absorbs a lot of the excess fluids in there.

the chicken privides bland protein.

RAW chicken wings work best for ours when they've been scavving stuff they shouldn't.:o

i think everyone who has had a husky pup has been through this at one stage or another hun, so dont worry you are defo not alone on this :)

shiloh had the runs really bad for what seemed like forever when he first came home- he came home with dry food- think it was waggs beta??? anyway it was like water coming out the other end :angry: we have tried various dry foods but they all seem to just go right through him...we eventually (after being advised on here) swapped him onto the raw diet and he has been fine ever since...he would have chicken wings, offal, mince etc- pets at home do a pack of frozen mince in different flavours for 82p :D he loves it

now he is older he has thighs, drummers, lamb etc as he can chomp the bones and the lamb isnt as rice anymore

sometimes he even has tuna- both tinned and raw, if giving tins the best to give is the stuff in oil- brine is too salty for them ;)

if shiloh gets the runs now- which occassionally he does coz of the amount of carp he eats in garden and when out on walks i do what the others have said...starve for 24hrs then give either bolied chicken with rice or chicken wings with natural yogurt- this works wonders for him :)

hope this helps hun...if you get stuck with anything give us a shout x x x

I'm with everyone else here, though, you may want to ring your vet. I worried about Andy for almost 3 weeks, as his poo was intermittently runny then good, then not. The doc had us switch him to boiled hamburger and rice and an antibiotic as he had coccidia, a parasite. After taking the antibiotic usually the dog will start producing his own antibodies...but sometimes it needs repeating, and there's another med for the diarrhea to just firm things up. It's never fun...good luck....Coccidia