Crate or dont crate when you leave your husky at home?

slaves to kaya

Hi everyone,

I am just about to go and pick the children up, so popping the husky's in the crate before I leave, but this had me wondering if any of you leave them un crated when you leave the house??

We have always crated ours but wondered if any husky owners have been lucky enough to not crate and come home everyday to no destruction??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never crated mine simply because i used to be out of the house for upto 8 hours. I just got into the habbit of 30 mins before going out, making a sweep of the house and removing anything that he could get to. Yet every day without fail he would find the 1 thing i had missed and destroy it. I guess if your not out for long periods of time it isnt so bad.

Bo was never crated. He did his share of damage as a pup, but nothing excessive.

Ryn is always crated when we leave. It provides her with a safe place to be while we are gone. She has a totally different personality than Bo, and I feel this is something that will work for her, where it didn't for Bo.

i have never crated duke. always been fine,apart from the odd sock i found that he had passed through in the garden,ewwww. i did used to put him in the kitchen when he was younger but now gets the run of downstairs.if its nice though he gets put in the garden if im goin out. i have got a few craters in there though now, good job im not a garden person, i wish he'd find some burried treasure aswell ;)

Mine go in the backyard when i go out. I never crated Honey her whole life.

But am going to begin crate training them really soon because we're going to canada next year and don't want them to freak when they're boxed up to go haha.

But i'm not sure about leaving them in the house un-crated. Honey i would trust, but Osh i wouldn't so much yet. So if i ever live somewhere that i can't put them in the yard, i would definitely crate her if i go out.

I'm in the same boat as Becky. Nik was never crated, but Dakota is a different personality, and we do crate him when we leave.

Now that he's a bit older (getting on toward 3), we might start leaving him uncrated for short periods and gradually increase the time if he behaves. It's not often that he needs to be crated for more than a few hours, anyway.

most definatly...i dont think he would chew but he would run around stressing where we are. he does this when one of us leaves so god knows what he would be like if both of us left him!! We say 'bed' and he happily trots to bed and settles straight away - no whining what so ever. IT is a huge crate, with access to water so he has plenty of room.

Also we have a cat to protect

Nope never, Kira has destroyed some stuff, but nothing major (worst was a PS3 controller) and Grey has ripped up an old shoe lol

Kira was when she was about 7 months, on and off till we moved back here about 3 months ago

This is definately food for thought and now has me thinking.

We never crated our first husky we had many years ago until one day he decided that he would eat our sofa!!

So crated him whenever we left the house after that, and so have done with kaya since we had her. I dont think kaya would ever chew anything she is way too laid back,and spirit is just as laid back. So now I am wondering whether to trust them uncrated?? And just pray my next post doesn't read "HELP MY HUSKYS HAVE EATEN THE HOUSE" :lol:

I'm guessing all the un-craters haven't seen the poll, as the craters are winning.

We crate Milla when she's home alone. She doesn't care. She goes right in, gets a treat and takes a nap until we return. She's left uncrated at night and when we go out if there's someone home. That doesn't necessarily mean she's supervised--particularly when the boys are playing video games--but if there's a huge crash, they will come up to investigate.

My 3 are not crated. When we are out they get the run of the kitchen and backroom (like a utility/conservatory room), we make sure they can't get anything they are not supposed to before we go out. The worst they have had off the side was some cardboard that hadn't been put into the recycling.

However, they have never always been fine. When Gizmo was pup he was always crated at night and when we were out and also Marley and Bandit were crated when they came home to us. We only had two crates then (Gizmo has his own and Marley and Bandit were happy in together) and when it came to getting a third we were having financial difficulties and in all honesty could barely afford a bag of crisps! So what we did was left Gizmo to sleep with his blanket in the kitchen and Marley and Bandit in a crate each and Gizmo was perfect all night and the following nights and since hasn't been crated at home. Then Marley and Bandit had their own crates and we managed to get a third, just in case. Marley and Bandit have only recently been left out of their crates this year as beforehand they had separation anxiety so we left them in crates to protect them more than anything. Then we started leaving them out after their separation anxiety was 'manageable' starting at just a few seconds to a few minutes, etc etc and now they all stay together in the kitchen and backroom.

We still have the crates as we use them during camping trips but they are not used at home now.

Zoya has a kennel in the laundry room. It's four foot wide by about ten feet long. Give her a kong, lock the gate, turn on the radio, she's good.

*fingers crossed that what I put doesn't jinx anything*

Neo was supposed to be crate trained but the neighbours never understood and complained about the noise when we tried.. *our walls are paper thin*

Luckily back then we had another dog to teach him the ways.. and he hasn't ever *as I said fingers crossed* destroyed anything other than the odd sponge he's managed to get off the side..

If I were to have another pup I would try to crate train as I do think they enjoy having their own space.. plus the fact that if Neo ever needed to stay anywhere overnight and needed to be crated I could see a huge racket happening.. including a vets if the need ever happened..

for my two crating depends on how long I will be gone and what time of day it is.

If im only going to be gone a very short amount of time I leave them out since they

are generally pretty good other than causing some noise pollution lol.

If you feel you want to trust your husky to stay out uncrated when you are not there,

than go ahead and test him/her, if they dont do so well then you know what to do

the next time. If they do very well then you know not to worry every time you leave

the house.

all 3 of mine are crated when i leave the house.. they all have seperate crates and know who's is who's. they are fed in their own crate and we dont get any bickering, we crate them when we go to work for a few hours and as soon as you say crate they go and get in their own... they are also great for when one is feelin grumpy cos they will lay in their own space etc.... we dont crate at night because they slepp in my room mainly under the bed lol :) my first 2 have never destroyed anything but Harley has got a taste for wood at the moment >

Mine are both crated, as they are both still 'in tact' we don't want any accidents happening.

I found it easier to do this when they were pups so we alwasy had somewhere safe for them to go if needed. Plus they love their crates :D its their own space & they go in them when they want time out. The crates are big enough for them to stretch out in. They go in them overnight to sleep as well as when we go out.

Aiyana has NEVER chewed anything and Tikaani literally chewed one thing as a pup so i would trust them if left in a kitchen with nothing to chew left in reach ;)