Close Call...Husky Escape

Removed #2

Well, we had our first escape with the new boys last night. Usually when the door opens, Andy lays down, and while Jackson is getting better, he's just learning not to jump on the door when he gets his leash on to go for a walk.

Jeff (my partner and doggy daddy) was going out to finish cleaning up in the garage, and of course, it was open, and as the house door was swinging shut, the little sh*t Jackson, took off like a bat out of hell. He headed towards the park, following our walk path and once I verified he was gone, I grabbed Andy on his leash, threw on sandals (mind you it is about 40 degrees at this time and it was nearly dark), and we took off towards the path.

Didn't have my glasses on so navigating wasn't easy, but as we got to the path saw Jeff with Jackson, and someone from the neighborhood who had so kindly stopped with his very old golden retriever and allowed Jackson to torment him while Jeff was able to finally grab his collar. He brought the Golden very close to him as if he was lovin' him up and Jackson then felt like it was okay to come close.

By the time I got there with the leash all our hearts were beating out of our chests! Jackson thought it was the same game he and Andy play which is "chase me, chase me" only this time, there was no fence.

The rule has always been never to open the house door unless the garage is shut, but sometimes, it just happens, and we now know how fast Jackson is and we thought Andy was the fast one. Relief to not have lost him....lesson learned! Hopefully. He did not get punished...in fact, got treats for "coming home." Then we went for the walk we were getting ready to do in the first place. This morning, no worse for wear and I don't think he even remembers!

I just wanted to post this in the wake of Zhinia being gone and found, and how careful, no matter how much you think you can trust your Husky, that they are runners, and even when they let you know how grateful they are to be fed and loved and have a home, they just want to run! So hug your Husky this morning, and be happy he/she is home safe![ATTACH]6761.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-2509-13585957666679_thumb.jpg

great post glad you managed to get him back so fast, i know how fast mine are as my boys have got out twice, now my front door is locked by the key at all times (they can open front door) an if i have to open door for post my chain goes on. lol like a prison here xxxxxxxx

We learned quickly, that just like our Stormy girl, they are both able to open the patio door that is a handle that just pushes down. Now if they would just close it once they come in, it would be great. Stormy slipped out one night during a terrible rain storm, (and a storm going on in the house!) and she was gone all night, showing up the next morning on a neighbor's deck, staring in at their kitty. It was a great relief. It happens so fast, if my post will just remind one person not to trust their perfectly in house behaved husky (as mine are!) then it will be one less lost Husky. We were even talking about and saying that so many end up as strays, even with tags...this is why!

Thanks for posting this Nanci - I am so glad everything ended so well, and so quickly.

When Keath posted about Sakari taking off so soon after Zhina, it was a wake up call for me. I always just presumed that all the gates will be closed (we have four on our property - we stay in a company house on a very busy industrial site :blink: ) I now check each gate before I let the huskies out, just in case someone had come onto the property and left a gate open. I also make sure they are well away from the door when I open it. There is no such thing as being too careful when it comes to a husky :(

I appreciate all the comments. He was surprisingly calm most of our morning walk, though tried to get out of the canny nearly half a dozen times. When he stopped, he got praise and a treat! It was a slow long walk. They have a tendency to set the pace, and if it were up to them, we'd be jogging. At 50+, though young at heart, I'm not a jogger (never have been). They do like running though with the walky dog on the bike. And YES...the weather coming....SNOW...it's predicted to be 4-5 inches. Our Stormy girl loved the snow and the colder it was the better for her, even when she was 13 and arthritic. Almost as if she liked sitting on a permanent ice pack for her hips.

When we interviewed with the rescue organizations, they all checked the yard and gates, and then said they had theirs on tie outs. I know people do it and are successful, but I'll take a yard any time. It's worth the fence investment. I also go to each of the neighboring homes with fences and close their gates daily, because when/if they decide to dig, at least they can get caught in another yard! That's what Stormy would do all the time...she made a tunnel to the neighbor's yard and they were bad about closing gates, so I did it.

Thanks again for all the notes. Huskies like to run!

Awwwww thank you Nanci that is so sweet of you. :wub:

I am so glad you guys got him back so quickly and thanks god for that Golden to get his attention so you guys could grab him. No kidding on their speed....I tried to chase her after I realized that she was not listening to me calling her. There is no way....not for me anyway....I am so out of shape!

But it is so true....it only takes a split second and POOF they are gone. They are just too quick. And its not even that they want to run away I think they really just can't help it!!!

I learned my lesson. I can't say that she will never run away again, but I sure can try my best to keep her safe by knowing how quickly they are gone if given the opportunity to slip out. Better safe than sorry even if they may not like it, its for their own good they just don't know it ;).

So happy to hear you got him back safe and sound.

Darwin has escaped out of windows (he learned how to open them :o ) and dashing through legs as people came in the door.

He also plays the "chase me" game.

We DON'T chase him just approach calmly talking softly eventually he'll let us get hold. :D