my neighbours bought rabbits arrrgghh help !!!!!

tanya maggs

my neighbours have bought 2 rabbits which live outside and also are free to roam their garden as and when my neighbour lets them, problem is Storm can smell them and now everytime he goes outside the back he whinges and whines for a bit of rabbit supper :blink: any suggestions as to handle this (besides just letting him eat them and be done with it !!!) :D would be fab

thanx in advance guys !!!

Do you think your neighbours would consider getting a rabbit run for their rabbits rather than letting them have free reign in the garden. This will be safer for the rabbits as it will offer them some protection from Storm and neighbourhood cats or urban foxes. I've kept rabbits outside previously but wouldn't consider gving them free reign in the garden as it's too dangerous

The alternative is likely to be that they rabbits don't survive very long

Do you think your neighbours would consider getting a rabbit run for their rabbits rather than letting them have free reign in the garden. This will be safer for the rabbits as it will offer them some protection from Storm and neighbourhood cats or urban foxes. I've kept rabbits outside previously but wouldn't consider gving them free reign in the garden as it's too dangerous

The alternative is likely to be that they rabbits don't survive very long

i will put it to her about a rabbit run because there is alot of cats around here and i have seen a couple of foxes. Storm is on a long lead in the garden because my neighbours fencing is too low but accidents happen and my kids will leave the door open one day and i know exactly what direction Storm will go in :D

eh oh!! PMSL

Defo speak to your neighbour (& possibly inform you dog warden that you are aware of this potential problem and get it logged that you are being a responsible dog owner & trying to encourage them to keep their rabbits safe ;) ) & raise the concern about their hunting instincts etc. Your husky aint gonna be happy til he's eaten them...if she doesnt want to have her kids crying then she needs to keep them secure. The run really needs to be more secure than chicken wire though...he rip through that in no time at all.

I have heard of a young husky who jumped a 6ft fence and ran through the conservatory to get to the neighbours cat...he ran through the double glazing! ....if he wants the rabbit he will get it! Be prepared for tears and tantrums and YOUR dog is gonna get blamed :(

OMG ran through double glazing :o :o their rabbits dont stand a chance :( she knew he was really bad with rabbits before she got them he skitzed when he seen a loose one and even Luna ran after it because he was making such a fuss

I am definately going to see if she is willing to make a run for them i dont want to fall out because my dog ate her kidz pets my OH just told me that she suggested putting a blanket in their cages and then let Storm have them afterwards but i am not sure if that will increase his appetite :lol:

I think I would print out some information for them about Huskies and their prey drive. Let them know that while it is not your intention for their pets to be harmed, there are going to be times that you will not have control of natural animal instinct and it might be a good idea to house them safely. On the other hand, since my two boys have taken over the yard, the bunnies don't come around anymore!

was gonna say the same as the others about seeing if she will let them be in a run instead of having free reign in the garden, much safer for everybody that way, thy only have 2 burrow out of the garden n then anything could happen to them, it doesnt have 2 be your dogs who have done the damage

well the rabbit run idea is a non starter she wont consider it her rabbit quote "scares cats away" :blink: today hasnt been bad though tbh he hasnt whinged for them once but that could be because of all the horse poo that my other neighbour has caked their garden in :rolleyes:

I've watched my cat twist a live rabbits head almost clean off before. Don't worry about it, the problem wont exist for very long.

well the rabbit run idea is a non starter she wont consider it her rabbit quote "scares cats away" :blink: today hasnt been bad though tbh he hasnt whinged for them once but that could be because of all the horse poo that my other neighbour has caked their garden in :rolleyes:

In the unlikely event that the rabbits could scare a cat away there is no chance they could scare away a fox or Storm for that matter.

Is it possible to replace the fence with something a bit more substantial?

In the unlikely event that the rabbits could scare a cat away there is no chance they could scare away a fox or Storm for that matter.

Is it possible to replace the fence with something a bit more substantial?

I think i am going to have to replace the fence, only problem is i am on a corner so the fence to the left of me (which is 4ft ish) he can jump over and then access their garden over their other fence. i know the neighbours with rabbits dont have any money to replace the entire fencing so that bit would be left and i cant put a higher fence on the left of my garden because their garden is tiny and it will block out all the light ......................if any of that makes sense :D my neighbour isnt concerned with foxes :(

oh yes rabbits...... about the second week after we moved into our new house, when Maddie was going through a rebellious phase, she got out and went over to the neighbors. She later came back with a headless bunny in her mouth and presented it to Steve. :blink: He was mortified (I was on travel for work). She loves bunnies. The joke was "Look at Maddie's magic trick, she can pull a rabbit out of a hutch and make its' head disappear!. She has not escaped since then, but if she did, that would be the first place I would look. Also, when we take her hiking, she loves to chase jack rabbits, fortunately, she gives up quickly and comes back to us.