Pet Insurance...is it worth it?

Denali33

Definately a must, we've only had to use it once up to now ;) Jersey our Choccy Lab has allergies & has had numerous tests to determine what her allergies are, she now has a monthly injection for life & the insurance covers it all :)

As Sarah says check the small print to make sure the cover is for life, some policies don't cover for life :huh:

I'm not sure if you have already mentioned, but make sure you get one covering 'long term illness' otherwise they will only pay for 6 months or so and then your on your own.

It's an absolute must to get insurance though, hopefully you'll never have to use it!

i had cat insurance for years and didnt claim of it, then i nearly choked when they wanted £180 a year plus £120 excess so i sacked it and opened up a savings account. So i figered before i could even claim anything i needed to spend £300

I now have 2 woofa's and decided not to start the insurance game ...i know its a possible risk but i have opened an account and will start a savings account and keep fingers and paws crossed. if i need the money its there, if i dont its still mine.

My other reason was that when my cat was insured as a kitten she was quite poorly (& for the first 2yrs i did benefit from the insurance so to speak) but i now look back and feel that as she was insured she was experiemented on by the vets and went through unnecessary invasive ops...although older and wiser i would ask MUCH more questions.

If you do decide then defo get life cover and if you dont then join SHCGB to ensure you have liability insurance - for anything like your dog causing a car accident and you get sued for damages etc

It is worth it if you get it when they are young. Once they are older the monthly payment is outrageous. I just did a quote through Tesco here. This is for three of the animals as you can only do three on one quote, plus they won't insure Nikita

Sampson born 1997 siberian husky male neutered with an excess of £60, wait for it...................................£45.81 a monthblink.gif (bad thing is the husky was the cheapest breed I could find, malamutes, labs and Alsatians were even more)

Dylan born about 2007 Birman cross cat male neutered with an excess of £50, £6.42 a month

Indigo born 10/2006 Ragdoll cat male neutered with an excess of £50, £9.23 a month

This is more than a spend a month to insure two vehicles...........so definitely start when they are young and try to get one that doesn't increase like mad as they age.

Okay so general consensus is go for it, but read the fine print, most of you guys/gals are "across the pond"... Anyone want to help me find good carrier, for Houston Texas??

Hey Danali definitely get the insurance. My father carried insurance on his dog granted he did not use it for a very long time but she came down with cancer. She got chemo injections and medicines out the waazoo and it covered it. Had it not there is no way he would have been able to cover the bills. When I adopted Kayla I put insurance on her. Like someone else said it's better to pay into it and never use it than to have an animal get sick and not be able to cover the bills. As everyone stated DEFINITELY read the small print! You live in the US like I do we both seen the Health Care insurance for people laugh.gif here is one that is there in Houston plus there is no increases for an aging pet. Haven't really read the fine print but here ya go.

Trupanion

Well, I'll be filing the first claim on Zoya tonight. We have PetPlan. (More on that in another post.) It does not cover routine exams or prevfentive meds, or vaccinhations. It does, however, cover injury, illness, heredity issues like hip displasia. We have a $200 dollar deductible and after that, it pays 80%. Premium is around $200 per year. And the benefit limit is around $20,000 per year. Never had unsurance before on a dog, but so glad we have it on Zoya. I researched them all, and for us, PetPlan made the most sense. Your situation may indicqate3 another company's coverage better suits you, so read the3 fine print.

Okay so general consensus is go for it, but read the fine print, most of you guys/gals are "across the pond"... Anyone want to help me find good carrier, for Houston Texas??

Oh and here you go here's a list of different pet insurance carriers and allow you to compare plans and give you more of an idea of what you would be looking for.

Pet Insurance

I looked into this when we first got Milla and our other dog was failing. I talked to several friends who are vets and they all told me not to bother. They've found when filing claims for their patients that the companies were not reliable about payment and tried to weasle out of covering things they were supposed to be covering. We've opted to self-insure like Claire is doing: pay the "premium" into a savings account for a rainy day.

I think its worth having, Sky is insured and so was my last dog from a puppy, i worked it out and i pretty much broke even from payments i made on the insurance vs claims made with my last dog Storm, but it was nice that i never had to worry about all off the sudden getting a bill for £1500 or any ongoing meds that he would need.

Even tho i have insurance i'm on the fence cos Scoob has always been ok so i lost ALOT of money with pet plan booooo.

Now with Tesco n ive found they have been the best 4 mine n the cheapest n they do just as good cover as the expensive companys.

Any1 else reading this stay away from Equine something... they may give u the cheapest quote thro confused.com but they r absolutly rubbish !

Ive heard the same with the Equine insurance company you are on about.

When we got Vix she came with 6 weeks free insurance. When that expired I looked around for the price of the pet insurance.

To carry on with the exsisting insurers (cant remmebr which one is was) it would have cost me £38 a month.

But after much phoning around we found that Asda was the best deal for us. It did cost us £13 a month, this year it went up to £15 after we made a claim. This is the superior cover were you have more cover and there is no limit on the time frame of claiming for fees of particular conditions.

One interesting thing I noted when was shopping about that Direct Line (i think?) did the 12month claim for a condition BUT the fella explained to me that unlike most, at the end of each payment year, that clock was reset. So for example you could claim up to 6k of fees for diabetes each year, every year, but if the bill went over 6k one year then it would have to be out of your own pocket until the new payment year started...

I have Whisper on VPI Pet Insurance. I got it when he started limping one day and I thought he had Hip Dysplasia I pay about $16 a month or so. And I have the plan that only covers Illness and Accidents with a $50 deductible (I think) I never had to use it and when he did have to see the vet it was never over $50 except shots which are not covered but he only gets it 1 time a year so I can handle that. But I thought $16 is not bad if something serious ever happens.

http://www.petinsurance.com/

There are also the Banfield Vets all over the US. http://www.banfield.net/

They have some kind of payment plan where you get a membership and pay a monthly fee, then when you bring them in you don't have to pay. I never really looked into it but a friend of mine in Texas takes her dog there and she never pays for shots and I think she only pays $7 a month. But thats all I know and it has been a while since I talked to her about it.