sickness and diarrhoea

Lil Miss Bump

GSD puppy question............

We got Dexter yesterday and he did a big poo in Lisa's car........he also did a poo on paper this morning (it's great that he knows where to go already!)

He had a small sausage from the guy at the chippy last night-before I even thought that his poor tummy couldn't take it :(

Anyway he was fine all day, clean crate but when i got home he had runny poo and now he's just been sick but it was all water and a little puppy biscuit........

he has been drinking lots and lots of water,

and i dont think he's been fed properly as he is wolfing down anything....

my question is, do you think i should not feed him for 24hrs or just feed him in little amounts but if the runny poo continues then let his tummy settle??

it could be all the excitement of being somewhere new etc...................what are your thoughts????

Diz

xxx

diz, echo was like that for a week when we first got her

24 hours starve and then rice n chicken.....

gsds have cast iron stomachs so it should settle soon.......

he has had a bad start and he is just settling.....any gsd questions just pm me and ill help....

it will pass and he is gorge....x

He yDiz

Do you know if hes been wormed yet? sometimes that can upset their stomachs, or if they have worms that can also cause the same thing. There is lots of nasty bugs about this time of year and i've also heard that parvo is doing the rounds (my aunts old dog just had it regardless of being fully vaccinated) so as hes been straying i'd be a bit concerend about that.

I'd go straight onto chicken and rice and wouldn't starve as hes only a pup. 5-6 very small feeds just to set him off and i'd also use some prokolin on the food to help give him some probiotic.

I think it may be all the excitement. Are you feeding him the same food that he ate at the people that you got him from? I would also do the chicken and rice for a day or two and when you see his poo is back to normal you can start mixing his food in over another day or two. Then he should be ok...I hope... Has he been dewormed lately? I know Zihna got runny poo each time she got dewormed. Hope the little pooch is feeling better soon. Keep us updated. And Husky hugs to little Dexter from us. :)

thanks guys.....he was wormed recently.....at the home.............he was checked by the vet yesterday and was fit to be rehomed so i dont think its serious......we got given a little pack of the hills and gave him a little of that and a little puppy food as we wont be feeding him the hills....are chicken n rice etc all ok for a 16 week old puppy???

A lot of excitement with the change of owners.

Having to meet new dogs.

A change of diet, and water.

All these will contribute to having a dodgy belly.

He'll soon settle down.

Small amounts and often, as always chicken biggrin.gif

(I know there are a few dogs on here that can't tolerate chicken, but they are a tiny minority)

As other have suggested I would try him with some chicken and rice and see how that goes. As Vet has already checked him over it's probably due to change of environment etc rather than anything else. Please let us know how little Dexter gets on over the next day or so.