would a flexi giant help?

BingBlaze n Skyla

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have flexi giants for both of mine, Nix, I wouldn't use anything else, TBH, you can reel them in when you need to & if Diesel (all 8 stone of him) can be held on one, I'm sure Blaze would be fine! :lol: I find a fixed lead has the possibility of becoming wrapped around the dog & other stuff, I love the retractables

its just i think he might pull less if he has abit more freedom? - just gotta find £30 now lol

jett from a young age i taught blaze to go 'round' things so when he goes around a lampost i say 'Blaze round' and he will back up and go around the right way :)

They're the only ones strong enough to hold a sibe but if he has a real problem with pulling and lunging at other dogs I'd keep him on a standard lead - they are quite unwieldy and would be useless to 'reel in' a big dog in that kind of situation. For walking cross-country where you won't meet many other dogs, go for it. :)

They're the only ones strong enough to hold a sibe but if he has a real problem with pulling and lunging at other dogs I'd keep him on a standard lead - they are quite unwieldy and would be useless to 'reel in' a big dog in that kind of situation. For walking cross-country where you won't meet many other dogs, go for it. :)

we dont see many dogs on our walks - only a few n sum days none at all , we dont rly walk him anywhere else just around the area as there isnt anywhere to go

Is it Blaze that's walked in a headcollar? Do bear in mind that you ought not use one with a headcollar, the continual tension of the lead around the head would be horrid. I would also never use one around town but only in open spaces, seen too many dogs killed/injured and humans injured by their use near roads - I know I'm being really horrible and negative but I see so many people using them badly and have been injured myself by someone losing control of their dog and allowing a cord lead to wrap around my legs. :angry:

yeh he is - i wouldnt use it on him WITH the head collar dont worry - tried him on the flexi weve got and he just RAN so ive just saved myself £30

did he take you flying Nix ?????? i was considering getting one for Storm but dont know whether he will stop at the end of it :( Luna has an extending lead and when she is hyper its quite hard to stop her when she pulls and i think she is half the weight of Storm

lol no - nearly tho - i can walk skyla on one fine as she dont pull but blaze had to go back on his normal lead n head collar - just glad i decided to take it with me

probably for the best good job you didnt just buy him one :) i dont think i will bother either now not unless he settles down when out wallking maybe when he is older :)

Something to be careful of with all retractables is. . . .

if they are running around and come from behind you, they can get up quite a head of steam before they reach the end of the line.

And then TWANG the handle is yanked out of your hand.

First problem obviously is loose Husky.

Second problem is the handle bouncing on the ground scares the dog, causing him to run away from it, but it follows (obviously) so he runs away more.

It can be difficult to get a dog with superb recall to come back when this happens, let alone a stubborn Husky.

I manage with Shadow OK on a giant flexi and hes strong but does know what steady and whoooa means! I find if I'm just walking him (Glenn having Nukka) its best to hold on with both hands and brace yourself when their coming to the end of it! LOL after they get the RUN out of their system they do tend to walk nicer so maybe give it a few goes before desciding finally Nix. :D

if they are running around and come from behind you, they can get up quite a head of steam before they reach the end of the line.

Second problem is the handle bouncing on the ground scares the dog, causing him to run away from it, but it follows (obviously) so he runs away more.

It can be difficult to get a dog with superb recall to come back when this happens, let alone a stubborn Husky.

And this is why I prefer a long line to a flexi lead! :P

We have a Flexi Giant for Zoya. First saw them on my visit to the UK last year. Sarah and Marc had them for their two boys. Got home and ordered one for Zoya. When she nears the end of the lead, I push half way down on the button and get a ratchet sound. She hears that, and slows up. Taking her for walks where we live, the Flexi Giant gives her some roaming room. Using a standard lead, she simply just pulls all the time. I understand the issue of them pulling the handle out of your hand, but I've not had that problem.

its just i think he might pull less if he has abit more freedom? - just gotta find £30 now lol

jett from a young age i taught blaze to go 'round' things so when he goes around a lampost i say 'Blaze round' and he will back up and go around the right way :)

We have to do that with Neo.. he knows 'round' too lol

I have a safety feature on mine after what has happened with others - plus I have little hands and they don't wrap the handle as well..

It's another lead with a ring on the end.. that is looped round the lead part..

ETA Pic..

med_gallery_1183_7_7140.jpg

Lead goes round my wrist.. and hold onto the handle of the flexi.. if the flexi is yanked out of my hand it's only a matter of seconds and the loop round my wrist stops the flexi from going anywhere..

I have a safety feature on mine after what has happened with others - plus I have little hands and they don't wrap the handle as well..

It's another lead with a ring on the end.. that is looped round the lead part..

ETA Pic..

med_gallery_1183_7_7140.jpg

Lead goes round my wrist.. and hold onto the handle of the flexi.. if the flexi is yanked out of my hand it's only a matter of seconds and the loop round my wrist stops the flexi from going anywhere..

Great Idea we have a short lead like that, will use it with ours. +1 biggrin.gif

I use a Flexi lead with Polee and found there are pro's and con's to using it.

Pros

It does provide a greater degree of freedom without actually being of the lead.

It's easy to lock and retract the lead to regain closer control when required

She doesn't pull as much when using the flexi lead

Cons

When she's in a hyper mood she can generate a fair bit of force when running to the full extent of the lead which can easily pull me over if not ready for it.

She also likes tangling the lead when we meet other people / dogs which can be rather awkward.

My preference is the ribbon style flexi lead although I currently use the rope style