Which Outdoor Dog Kennel Would Work Best?

Okanagan~Girl

Hi all

My boyfriend and I are planning on getting a husky puppy this coming year and are looking for outdoor kennel/dog run options. Lots of huskies have been stolen out of yards in our area recently, so we both feel an outdoor covered kennel/run with locking capabilities would be the best. We are currently renting a place so a movable kennel/run would be the best option, however this in itself poses husky-proofing problems, should it try and dig its way out.

These are some of the options we were looking at:

My link

My link

My link

My link

Or do you think it would be better/more cost effective to build our own? Has anyone on here ever built one before? A sturdy roof/cover is a must because in the summers it can get up to 38C and in the winter as cold as -30+ with windchill. Of course the dog would never be outdoors in such extreme temperatures, We just don't want to have to continually replace materials that can't hold up to the extreme weather we get.

I guess a better question would be, what kind of kennels/runs do you use/ recommend?wink.gif

Wow that is extreme weather conditions - we never get into the -C's here, and even in South Africa 38C is HOT.

I can't help with your questions as mine don't stay outside for any length of time - but I am sure someone will be able to help. Just want to say well done on doing all your research before you get your Husky/puppy. +1 added to rep :)

Hi, not an expert on kennels/runs as my dogs are indoor dogs. However, if you are worried about him/her digging out of the run you can put some chicken wire down around the edges. That is supposed to stop them from digging as they don't like the feel of it. Some people pour some concrete to stop them from digging out as well but since you are renting the chicken wire may be the better option. ;)

Not sure to what extend you plan to use the run/kennel for, but be advised that if you get a puppy you can not put him/her out there right away. So you also want to look into getting a crate for inside the house until the pup is old enough to be outdoors for longer periods of time ;). I am sure someone else can give you some advice what a good age would be if you want the pup to be an outdoor dog.

Also crate training will be great for the pup to start getting used to being in an enclosed area and then the run/kennel training should be a piece of cake :D. If the pup is used to a crate/kennel and feels comfy in it and is well exercised before put in there then the chances of him/her digging out will be not as high. Tired husky's are less likely to dig LOL.

Hi, not an expert on kennels/runs as my dogs are indoor dogs. However, if you are worried about him/her digging out of the run you can put some chicken wire down around the edges. That is supposed to stop them from digging as they don't like the feel of it. Some people pour some concrete to stop them from digging out as well but since you are renting the chicken wire may be the better option. ;)

Not sure to what extend you plan to use the run/kennel for, but be advised that if you get a puppy you can not put him/her out there right away. So you also want to look into getting a crate for inside the house until the pup is old enough to be outdoors for longer periods of time ;). I am sure someone else can give you some advice what a good age would be if you want the pup to be an outdoor dog.

Also crate training will be great for the pup to start getting used to being in an enclosed area and then the run/kennel training should be a piece of cake :D. If the pup is used to a crate/kennel and feels comfy in it and is well exercised before put in there then the chances of him/her digging out will be not as high. Tired husky's are less likely to dig LOL.

We will definitely look into the chicken wire option! Our puppy will be an indoor dog, but for days when the weather is nice we thought it might enjoy being outside more then being cooped up in the house. While we are planning on reinforcing all the fencing ( It ranges from a 4 foot chain-link fence all the way to an old 6.5 foot high wooden fence rolleyes.gif) we think a kennel/run would be safest, since thieves around here seem to know the value of a purebred husky sad.gif not that it would be hard to break into a kennel if they were determined, but it might act as a deterrent.

Check out Dog Kennel Center.com I priced a 30x30x6' kennel/run for about $2100 and then it'd be another $500 for the roof and other accesories. Not bad IMO. I'm in the process of researching things as we are moving and I finally get to put up the fence I want.

Wow great site thanks!

I would love to add to your guys' rep for your help if someone can tell me how to do it -->newbie here<--laugh.gif

We will definitely look into the chicken wire option! Our puppy will be an indoor dog, but for days when the weather is nice we thought it might enjoy being outside more then being cooped up in the house. While we are planning on reinforcing all the fencing ( It ranges from a 4 foot chain-link fence all the way to an old 6.5 foot high wooden fence rolleyes.gif) we think a kennel/run would be safest, since thieves around here seem to know the value of a purebred husky sad.gif not that it would be hard to break into a kennel if they were determined, but it might act as a deterrent.

:) I am sure someone else can give you more advice on how to properly put that chicken wire down. I actually read it on here myself in case Zihna starts digging under our fence :lol: :lol:

Yes most of them do like the outdoors and it would definitely be a better option if Husky's get stolen a lot in your area. Mine loves to be outside especially now that it is cooler. She will just lay in a spot and play with a toy or just chill or sit in the middle of the yard or on our deck and watch the birds. lol. Well thats when she is not running around like a crazy chicken. :lol: If you decide to go with a fence I would go with a wooden one. They can easily climb a chain link fence and others will be able to see that there is a Husky in the yard. With the wooden one they wont see what kind of dog is back there and it will be harder for her to get out .... but some Husky's and also other dogs can also climb a wooden fence. PLUS there is the cost of the wooden fence and if I was renting I don't think I would want to invest that much money into a rental property. So I think a run would be the best option for you at this moment. :)

The rep is added by clicking on the little green + sign on the right bottom corner of each post. Took me a lil while too to figure it out when I first joined here. :)

I put up a chainlink kennel for my guys (the kit type ones you can get at Home Depot) and while it held great for my one male, its taken tons of reinforcing to keep in my other male. At one point we had 3 layers of fencing for the kennel!!!! Now we are back to just 2 but the 1 layer is heavy gage and welded at every joint. The door is latched at the middle and the bottom because he could push with enough force to pivot/bend it so he could squeeze out the bottom. The sides are 6ft high with a peaked solid roof to keep out rain, snow and provide shade. The flooring is patio stones so the dogs can't ever dig out nor can they chew through it (my guy could easily chew through chicken wire as he has already chewed through chain link wiring). For comfort and so they don't have to lay on the cold stone (especially now that they are getting older) I put in a rubber stall mat that is made for horse stalls. Its super thick rubber so not as inviting as a chew toy. I did make sure to leave some bare stone though so they have the option of the cooler surface in the summer. The patio stone/stall mat combo are great for cleaning if they mess in the kennel (which is rare since they consider it their home). I can scrub it right down with warm water and mild soap so it never has that lingering pee/poop smell that can happen if the flooring is grass/dirt. I have a light wired right to the roof of the kennel so even when it gets dark at 5pm I can do my kennel chores with ease. The doghouses are attached on the outside so they dont take up floor space. I have 2 houses attached currently and a third one will be added in the spring. If I were to place them all within the kennel fencing there'd be no floor space left practically (I have BIG houses). The bedding in the houses is a combo of straw and cedar shavings. The shavings soak up water away from the dog and the straw. They dry much faster than any type of blanket, carpeting, dog bed, etc. They also insulate better. In winter I have a thick layer of shavings and a thin layer of straw (cedar shavings discourage fleas and ticks). In the winter I have a moderately thick layer of shavings and a very thick layer of straw.

I put up a chainlink kennel for my guys (the kit type ones you can get at Home Depot) and while it held great for my one male, its taken tons of reinforcing to keep in my other male. At one point we had 3 layers of fencing for the kennel!!!! Now we are back to just 2 but the 1 layer is heavy gage and welded at every joint. The door is latched at the middle and the bottom because he could push with enough force to pivot/bend it so he could squeeze out the bottom. The sides are 6ft high with a peaked solid roof to keep out rain, snow and provide shade. The flooring is patio stones so the dogs can't ever dig out nor can they chew through it (my guy could easily chew through chicken wire as he has already chewed through chain link wiring). For comfort and so they don't have to lay on the cold stone (especially now that they are getting older) I put in a rubber stall mat that is made for horse stalls. Its super thick rubber so not as inviting as a chew toy. I did make sure to leave some bare stone though so they have the option of the cooler surface in the summer. The patio stone/stall mat combo are great for cleaning if they mess in the kennel (which is rare since they consider it their home). I can scrub it right down with warm water and mild soap so it never has that lingering pee/poop smell that can happen if the flooring is grass/dirt. I have a light wired right to the roof of the kennel so even when it gets dark at 5pm I can do my kennel chores with ease. The doghouses are attached on the outside so they dont take up floor space. I have 2 houses attached currently and a third one will be added in the spring. If I were to place them all within the kennel fencing there'd be no floor space left practically (I have BIG houses). The bedding in the houses is a combo of straw and cedar shavings. The shavings soak up water away from the dog and the straw. They dry much faster than any type of blanket, carpeting, dog bed, etc. They also insulate better. In winter I have a thick layer of shavings and a thin layer of straw (cedar shavings discourage fleas and ticks). In the winter I have a moderately thick layer of shavings and a very thick layer of straw.

+1 added to your rep :)

My boyfriend and I will check out our local home depot store, as it may be cheaper in the long run after we calculate in all the shipping and freight charges of ordering a kennel online. The patio stones sound great! There is already an small existing patio, so I'm sure our landlords wouldn't mind if we extended it out by a little bit and the stones also would be a bit more attractive then the chicken wirebiggrin.gif

Thanks for all your great responses everyone!

I have the black powder-coated runs in my kennel right now, and I am not very happy with them. My boys like to pee on the gates and sometimes into the adjoining kennels, and the urine has really eaten through the paint and caused a lot of rusting - in a few places total disintegration of some of the metal! If I were to do it again (and may, in the future), I'd try to get some you can build yourself, with corners you would put the length of pipe in that you want (to make a given section whatever length you want it to be). That way, if it does rust, either from urine or from exposure to snow, ice and rain, you can replace bits and pieces as necessary...

I have to say im not keen on any of the kennels you suggested! purely because there is not an enclosed cosy area for them..its just a big outdoor crate. Huskys like to feel secure so i would want a 'den' enclosure within it but be able to climb on top of the 'den' too as they like to 'look out'. of course it most definatly needs a secure roof.

Due to your extreme weather - i think you need to think carefully where its located - summer in the shade with a breeze and in the winter away from strong winds!!

For the base can you put down concrete slabs?

Defo crate train your pup in the house and then move the crate within your chosen kennel so he gradually gets used to it with the security of his crate etc. Also depending on the time of year you get your pup a young pup can not be left out in the cold.

• 1 year later...