Sampson is ill

dygosamikita

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**Here is the latest from the vet**

X-rays and ultrasounds done, they were not conclusive. Some arthritis in his back but not enough for symptoms(pretty much suspected this anyway but can start treating it when he gets better), slightly swollen kidneys (may have a kidney infection but again not enough for all symptoms), and some sludge in his liver(not that bad but abnormal). We are holding off more tests as the current treatment would be the treatment if the tests were positive. He is being given broad spectrum antibiotics and steroids. More waiting to see how he responds. He has to stay in again tonight for more monitoring. He is still not eating either, this is the third day of not eating so they are giving him nutrients via IV as well.

Sampson is home now! He made a shocking recovery overnight. Decided to chew his iv out and was up fussing about being in crate. He is eating some but not a great deal. They have him on antibiotics and nsaids. Not out of the woods yet as he is still in a lot of pain. He has spondylosis and they think there is/was an infection in the spine as well making it worse. Provided we can get rid of the infection and get/keep the pain under control then all will be well for the time being. Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and well wishes.

Thanks all am I well chuffed with his progress. The vet was quite shocked on Friday morning as he wasn't holding much hope for him on the Thursday.

We still need to tweak his pain meds. They have him on a once a day medicine and he seems to be getting pain again before he is allowed to have his next dose. Most of his pain comes when he is lying down and he lets out a quite pitiful but very quiet whine. For this reason I have ordered them a single size memory foam mattress, not sure if he will share with his sister though as she is still able to jump onto our bedrolleyes.gif. He is not happy about not being to jump onto the bed, so he has been laying on his bed giving me sad eyes and barking every now and again in order to voice his displeasure.

He is also getting jealous of the Dylan, Sampson is convinced that he is the only one that should be getting lovings so when I am holding Dylan, Sampson gives him proper daggers. It is quite funny, will have to try to get a picture of him doing it.

He is managing the stairs pretty well. Which is very important as we live in an upstairs flat. On Tuesday he could not make it up them at all and pretty much slid down them on his butt. He would wait at the bottom for me to come down and lift his back end up each step. So he has made a massive improvement here.

He had a little run around in the snow tonight, bouncing around like there was nothing at all wrong with him, which was heart warming to see. Hopefully with his nice new bed and getting his meds sorted he will be virtually pain free and carry one for at least a few more years.