Re-House Training an Adult Husky

Rgoley

Some background: Our Husky was found tied to a tree outside an abandoned trailer at about a year old (she's five now). We know she was abused (when my boyfriend first got her she wouldn't go through a door without peeing, among other things).

After my boyfriend got her, he did re-house train her with a crate and he didn't have any problems when he lived in Texas. Since he moved to Georgia she has been having problems with her house training. He doesn't get to spend as much time with her so we think she's feeling neglected and possibly acting out. He works and I stay at home, so I try to give her as much attention as I can.

She'll be fine for a while then it's like she forgets what she learned. I've been doing research and most places recommend crate training, however she will go in her crate and lay in it. She does see her crate as her 'safe place' because when we're traveling that is where she spends her time, and she also goes in there at home on her own.

The main problem with her house training is that she won't always tell us when she needs to go out, she just goes inside even with someone home. We try to watch her but obviously we can't do that every second of the day.

She and our other dog get walked in the morning, afternoon, and night unless one of them tells us they need to go out between those times.

We really want to solve this issue and I was hoping someone on here would have an idea.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you need to go right back to basics; with regular trips to the toilet. (Every hour if you can and then increase the length of time).

If she has dramatically increased the amount she pees, is going more than usual or the urine has a strong smell, you should consider seeing your vet and watch how much water she's drinking.

Stacey xxx

Not to sure how long you have been at your new house but all the new strange smell's may have set her back a little. Crate training is really the only thing i can sugguest as you know yourself Huskys do not like to go where they sleep. Do you have a secure garden?...If so maybe leaving her access to the garden at all times may help.If she was abused that could explain alot....some dogs just dont like change and with her being 5 y/o it will prob take her a while longer to adapt to her new surroundings....I'm sure in a few weeks she will settle down and be back to herself again....I'm not as knowlagable as most on this forum and prehaps other can help you more than i can...I wish you all the best and i hope she settle's soon for you

welcome to the pack, good on you for taking this girl in - would love to see some pics, agree with stacey - looks like you will have 2 treat herlike shes a puppy again and take her out every hour or so and after eating drinking sleeping playing ect

is she peeing ALOT tho? if so get her checked for a UTI (urinary tract infection) just incase

You may want to tether her to you when you are around the house so she can't get a moment alone to go in the house. Take her out at intervals and watch her water intake. When you can't watch her (or have her tied) she needs to go into the kennel. A few days of serious "back to basics" will get them back into their routine and generally the problem will cease. I've had to do this off and on with the dogs but it's easy to fix for the most part.

She has lived here two years. I moved in a year ago. Unfortunately we live in an apartment on the second story so we can't let her have free access to the outside. We're hoping to move to a house next year and install a doggy door. When my boyfriend lived in Texas his place had a doggy door, and she was on a tie-out that was long enough so she should could go inside and outside as she pleased. He didn't have any potty issues there. I haven't noticed any change in her peeing habits really, it's mostly poop that she has a problem with.

I think the suggestion of just starting over completely will be our best bet. The only issue is that she will go in her crate without telling us she needs to go out. Any suggestions on how to break her of this?

Get her out on a very regular schedule, as suggested above, praise her a LOT when she does poop outside - reward her so she wants to please you by doing it more in the future!!! It sounds like she may not want to "bother you" (maybe she got in trouble before you got her when she did something that attracted attention, so now wants to keep a low profile, so to speak?), and doesn't know HOW to ask to go out. I would suggest the same thing I do for a puppy, there, and that's to hang a bell by the door you'll go out.

When you take her out, ring the bell and say "Let's go outside, and go ___________ (whatever your key phrase is)!". Make a game of it to see if you can teach her to touch the bell and ring it - it should be a good thing to do, and fun! Each time she rings it, she goes out, and you're positive - at least as long as she's not just messing around, and I'll bet she won't likely do that - at least not for quite a while! Then, when she does do her business outside, give her more praise!

Being consistent is the key - good luck!

Hello, I am the other "owner" in this relationship, and here is a little more background info:

Shaunasy is actually closer to 7 or 8 years old now, she was around 1 or 2 when I got her. We do not know her actual age, but between my Vet and I we came up with this time line, based upon her teeth and general size. I have had her about 6 years now.

As stated, she was very obviously abused, before I adopted her. I don't know if it was physical or mental or what, but just from the behavior she had, it was plain to see I had happened.

here is a pic of our girl:

The_Look_by_Dragonsys.jpg

I look forward to reading through all of the posts and information on here, and I hope we are able to find a good solution. I moved to GA a little over 2 years ago, and her behavior started getting bad about 6 months after I moved. and it has just gotten worse since then.

The amount of water intake has not changed, and her potty doesn't smell any different than it ever has. Her pee really does not have a high order, and never really did. But then her peeing is not the problem here. The problem is she poops in the house, without warning. We walk her, she decides when she is done, and heads back to the house on her own. After we get back inside, she gets in her kennel, waits until we leave the room, and goes to the bathroom.

It started getting bad when I started working more.. a LOT more, and therefore I can't spend as much time with her as I would like to. This is part of why we think she is feeling neglected by me and acting out.

I like the bell idea. I did not think of that. We have started praising her more when she goes potty outside, and even started giving her treats for it, but we have not seen any changes yet. Maybe it's just too soon to tell.

Get her out on a very regular schedule, as suggested above, praise her a LOT when she does poop outside - reward her so she wants to please you by doing it more in the future!!! It sounds like she may not want to "bother you" (maybe she got in trouble before you got her when she did something that attracted attention, so now wants to keep a low profile, so to speak?), and doesn't know HOW to ask to go out. I would suggest the same thing I do for a puppy, there, and that's to hang a bell by the door you'll go out.

When you take her out, ring the bell and say "Let's go outside, and go ___________ (whatever your key phrase is)!". Make a game of it to see if you can teach her to touch the bell and ring it - it should be a good thing to do, and fun! Each time she rings it, she goes out, and you're positive - at least as long as she's not just messing around, and I'll bet she won't likely do that - at least not for quite a while! Then, when she does do her business outside, give her more praise!

Being consistent is the key - good luck!

Recently every time she does her business outside we give her a treat and lots of praise.

Sometimes she will let us know that she needs to go out. For example we walked the girls last night and about an hour later she told me she needed to go back out. I took her out, she pooped, and she got lots of praise. So I'm not sure that the problem is that she doesn't want to bother us. I think her previous owners "taught" her it was okay, or even preferable, to go in her crate or whatever area they kept her that she thought of as her den.

I'll show the bell idea to my boyfriend. Maybe if we can get her used to using it to tell us every time, we'll start making progress. We don't want to get rid of her so we are open to any idea to try to fix this.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Hello, I am the other "owner" in this relationship, and here is a little more background info:

Shaunasy is actually closer to 7 or 8 years old now, she was around 1 or 2 when I got her. We do not know her actual age, but between my Vet and I we came up with this time line, based upon her teeth and general size. I have had her about 6 years now.

I'm glad you got on here. Lol, I always forget how old she is. She acts younger than her actual age.

Lots of really good advice given here. biggrin.gif

Good luck getting her back on track.

Oh, yeah and welcome to the BEST damn Husky Forum in the WORLD !!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Perhaps she is nervous about going in front of you? Cheyenne is nervous about eating in front of anyone... Have you tried waiting outside until she goes to the bathroom? It would really help to put a cue to going poo (we use "Go poo poo" in an incredibly idiotic voice lol) that way when you're walking her you can try to get her to go outside before coming in so she's "empty" and can't eliminate inside. And just maybe it may becoming uncomfortable to poo? I know when animals get urinary tract infections (painful) they often stop eliminating in appropriate places...

You may also want to try putting a bed or something she likes to sleep on in the crate and she may not want to soil that? Just a thought.

Perhaps she is nervous about going in front of you? Cheyenne is nervous about eating in front of anyone... Have you tried waiting outside until she goes to the bathroom? It would really help to put a cue to going poo (we use "Go poo poo" in an incredibly idiotic voice lol) that way when you're walking her you can try to get her to go outside before coming in so she's "empty" and can't eliminate inside. And just maybe it may becoming uncomfortable to poo? I know when animals get urinary tract infections (painful) they often stop eliminating in appropriate places...

You may also want to try putting a bed or something she likes to sleep on in the crate and she may not want to soil that? Just a thought.

We wait outside as long as she seems to be focused on using the bathroom and not trying to go back inside. We use 'go potty' as her bathroom cue. There is a bed in her kennel but she goes to the bathroom on it and will use it to hide the evidence. We'll have to take her to the vet for a check-up to rule out a UTI, she hasn't been showing any signs of one, but you never know. Thanks for the advice.

I doubt that, she doesn't seem to have that problem, and never did before. We don't stare at her while she goes either...

We have tried walking until she will go, but like I said earlier, she decides when to go back inside, and just pulls us along for the ride.

She does go outside sometimes, and it doesn't seem to give her any discomfort. She doesn't act any different than she ever has, while going, but I know that's not 100% sign.

She almost always has something soft to lay on. Usually if she doesn't, it's because she has soiled it and we took it out to clean it. I have tried without her having anything in the kennel, and that seems to work for awhile (very short while, maybe a day or two).

I think she might also be a little depressed. We had to move her kennel out of our bedroom, because she has decided to try and eat the cat, instead of get along. She will tear her kennel up trying to get at the cat, and she has already killed one, so I really don't want to take the chance of her killing another one. But even before we moved her kennel should would still go in the house. I ended up having to kennel her at night because of it. She used to have free run (of the bedroom) at night, but I got tired of having to clean the carpet every day.

She will pee in the house every now and then, but it's rare, and usually when she doesn't get to go out in a regular fashion/time, like she normally does.

UTI's effect urine, not so much deification. It may simply just be a house training issue... Is she going more often than normal or on a strange schedule? Perhaps it may be the beginnings of incontinence.

nope, right about the same amount as normal.

Her food & water intake are normal as well.

welcome to the pack :wave: She's stunning, I love her mask :wub:

I'd just be sure to take her out after she wakes up, after she eats, after she plays

Thank you :)

Yeah, I know that is part of the problem, because I can't walk her in the mornings when I get up, like I used to, and the G/F sleeps in later than I do. I had actually made a suggestion that she get up with me, and walk the dogs 1st thing, to see if that would help any.

Just wanted to give a quick update. We haven't had any accidents since we made the post on here. We give her lots of praise and a small treat when she goes poops outside. At her last walking we also won't go in until she goes. I'm gunna have to break out my gloves and hat though, if this cold weather keeps up, it was freezing last night! It's only been a few days but things are looking better. Thanks again for the advice.

• 8 months later...

Unfortunately, due to recent financial set backs, I'm not sure we can actually afford to give her the life she needs anymore. I'm afraid I might have to find her a new home soon, because of this.

I have also injured my back and it is not healing properly, this makes it difficult for me to walk much, which again impacts me being able to spend time with her like I would like to do.

Also, I am working long hours, which keeps me from being able to spend the time with her that she requires, and this is causing her to act out more as well.

Since he moved to Georgia she has been having problems with her house training. He doesn't get to spend as much time with her so we think she's feeling neglected and possibly acting out. He works and I stay at home, so I try to give her as much attention as I can.

She'll be fine for a while then it's like she forgets what she learned. I've been doing research and most places recommend crate training, however she will go in her crate and lay in it. She does see her crate as her 'safe place' because when we're traveling that is where she spends her time, and she also goes in there at home on her own.

This is a new place, but you don't say how new......so she could be having difficulty relating to the fact that she needs to do her business outside. Confusion more than regression???? Also, is there any possibility that there could have been other animals in the home prior to his moving there? Perhaps flooring wasn't cleaned properly and is now an invitation for her to potty inside?

Just a thought (or two).

This is a new place, but you don't say how new......so she could be having difficulty relating to the fact that she needs to do her business outside. Confusion more than regression???? Also, is there any possibility that there could have been other animals in the home prior to his moving there? Perhaps flooring wasn't cleaned properly and is now an invitation for her to potty inside?

Just a thought (or two).

Actually I did say how new, you just have to scroll down in the thread a bit ;)

While possible, I think it is due to her feeling "neglected", since I am not able to spend as much time with her as I used to. Also, it got really bad after Renae moved in. I think she sees Renae as a "threat" to my time, and she does not want to accept that she isn't the top female anymore.

She has always acted out when something happens and I don't give her the attention she demands (whether it is because I am sick, traveling, etc), just never like this. Usually she would tear up her bedding or chew on something she shouldn't chew on.

She handled moving several times, it is only since moving from TX to GA that this has become a problem. Since I have had her, I have moved about 3 times and she never had a problem, before.