fresh fish...

pokerking1

hi all... this may sound a stupid question to some of you but my father has just given me a bag of frozen trout out of his freezer for the dogs... all deheaded and degutted, the question is do i nhave to cook them before feeding to my dogs or just cut them up into chunks for them as raw? i won't eat them myself and they are too good to be thrown away and as i feed sardines to the dogs each day thought i can add them in to their food so any idea's would be much appreciated...

mark

It should be fine if the trout was caught in this country

Following info from vetblog

Salmon itself is not poisonous. However, there is a syndrome in dogs called salmon poisoning. This creates some confusion. Salmon poisoning occurs when a dog consumes raw salmon or trout containing a dangerous parasite. The parasite causes the inappropriately named disease, which can be fatal.

The parasite involved in salmon poisoning is most common along the Pacific coasts of Oregon, Washington, and Canada. There have been reports of salmon poisoning in northern California as well.

Cooking salmon kills the parasite, as well as disease-causing bacteria that may be present on the meat.

For the raw food fans out there: yes, raw fish can be included in dogs’ diets. But I recommend that you take some precautions. Feed only sushi grade fish, and avoid raw salmon.

Just to add to Lee B's post, I am no expert on parasites but I used to work as a sushi chef and I know that freezing the fish was a proper way of getting rid of any parasites that were present. This could be a very resistant parasite though, so I can't say for sure.

My husband does a lot of fishing and while he cleans the fish before bringing them in the house, there is still some cleaning to do (he calls it 'zipping' the fish - it's a dark streak of meat in the Walleye that, if cooked, gives the fish a 'fishy' flavor) Both Ryn and Kat enjoy it and it has done them no harm.

thanks everyone for advice...

the fish are all cleaned etc because my old man normally eats them himself but is clearing his freezer out for xmas food and wanted room so i offered to have them :P ..

stevo.. yes we only feed raw as a treat probably 2-3 times a week and are on kibble with sardines for breakfast and just kibble for tea sometimes with rice or pasta depending on what i get for tea :D ..

Andy.. i will ask him next time for full fish when he go's fishing..

i fed them a trout this morning and they were a little unsure if they liked it B) but guess it will grow on them..