Digging in his water bowl

rab1957

Hi All,

I am a new member, so I hope that this has not been covered before.

My Siberian Husky constantly 'digs his water bowl' and I can't understand why he does this? The floor is always very wet around his eating area and it's becoming a real pain. Does anyone else have the same situation and if so, what can I make him do to stop this.

He is 8 months old, by the way, so maybe he might grow out of this habit.

Thanks Richard.

my 1 yr old female does this - its a way for them to keep cool, as they will tip the water out then lie in it

she will only do it if her water is in a metal bowl, if its in a heavy ceramic bowl she wont - wonder if she doesnt like the feel of the ceramic bowl under her feet

Check out your local bigger pet shops, I have seen some other kinds of bowls meant for travelling with an edge on them that would be hard to put paws in.

But yeah it's pretty normal, my female Malamute does this a lot, especially in summer or in the kiddie pool :)

Ozzy used to do this a lot. Not so much in the house anymore but he did do this when we were camping a few weekends ago.

What we did that mostly stopped this was to put a smaller bowl inverted in his water dish. that way he couldn't really get in to dig well and had to drink the water ring that this formed.

I think her really grew out of it for the most part, rather than this training him not to do it.