Eating Poop

Lil Miss Bump

A lot of times they do like to eat it - sometimes it contains proteins that haven't been taken in through the digestion - which is (I guess?) appealing if you/re a dog. (unsure.gif)

I've found that feeding raw pineapple does a pretty good (not to mention relatively cheap and healthy) job of making the poop "less appetizing". My recall is that enzymes in the pineapple do the trick... My Rebel, in particular, loves poopcicles, but a couple of small chunks of pineapple daily are a pretty effective cure! smile.gif

I have no answers, BUT

I had to chuckle when I read the heading on this post as my daughter called yesterday to let me know that her yellow lab was eating her Lhasa's poo. Her exact words were:

"Mom, she's eating it so fast that you'd think Daphnie was an ice cream machine."

Now I no longer care for ice cream...................................

I have no answers, BUT

I had to chuckle when I read the heading on this post as my daughter called yesterday to let me know that her yellow lab was eating her Lhasa's poo. Her exact words were:

"Mom, she's eating it so fast that you'd think Daphnie was an ice cream machine."

Now I no longer care for ice cream...................................

Oh, Becky! Just had to give you +1 for this, it made me laugh!!!!!!! :rofl:

Hope Dexter gets out of that habit soon, or he'll have a whale of a time at the dog park :blink::P

First and foremost, your sibe will probably grow out of it, especially if he/she is around other dogs.

The reason for this is because eating their own poo is a genetics thing. Dogs use to eat their own feces to make sure their predators didn't know they had been there. This is the same reason why most dogs scratch at the ground after they poo or pee.

Once a dog becomes socialized with other dogs that don't do this, they tend to toss those particular traits to the curb.

First and foremost, your sibe will probably grow out of it, especially if he/she is around other dogs.

The reason for this is because eating their own poo is a genetics thing. Dogs use to eat their own feces to make sure their predators didn't know they had been there. This is the same reason why most dogs scratch at the ground after they poo or pee.

Once a dog becomes socialized with other dogs that don't do this, they tend to toss those particular traits to the curb.

Actually thats not the case... they have scent glands in their paws so their actually doing the exact oposite their letting other dogs know "Im here and this is my poo, check out what Iv been eating Im a big strong dog you dont want to mess with me!!"

The poop eating thing is fairly gross and if its their own I have heard pinapple does the trick.. unfortunatly Nukka thinks its a great idea to eat cat or fox poop if she can find it! The only way Iv found to stop her doing this is to actually go round my mums garden and clear it up before she gets to it (its only my mums garden she gets the oportunity really as we dont get foxes/cats in our garden having two huskies scares um off :) )

Hope the pinapple works for you Diz let us know.

We had this issue when we had 2 labs and a husky, and we weren't sure who was eating what, but they were all doing it. You can actually get a powder from your vet to sprinkle on their food that is supposed to keep them from eating it. I like the pineapple idea better if you can get the dog to eat the pineapple without vomiting.:P

• 4 weeks later...

We had this problem too with Nanook. We asked the same questions and got told the simple answer it's appealing to them lol Don't need more food just inquisitive to what it is and the most effective was pineapple juice in the food or water, or some kind of charcoal tablet/powder you get from the vets added to food make it tastenot so good. Cleaning all poop straight away will also take away temptation. It isn't a permenant fasination :D