GPS tracking units

steved28

Just wondering if anyone has tried any of the GPS units avaialble for canines. I recently purchased a SpotLite GPS which is the one recommended by the AKC. I did this after we lost our dog for 5 agonizing days. Even though in our case it looks like our dog was held for ransom/reward, it was still something I always wanted to try. We take some pretty long walks into the woods and she is always off leash when I walk her. I've never lost her on walks and she is well behaved, but it only takes that one rabbit.

Steve

lol @ 1 rabbit... cause i let lana chase rabbits.....or used too. I didnt even know there was a GPS tracking unit out for dogs.....how much is it? Where can i get one? Is there a monthly fee? Who monitors the units or is it like a Car GPS where no one monitors it you just need to update the map very so often? I would be very interested in this DGPS

lol @ 1 rabbit... cause i let lana chase rabbits.....or used too. I didnt even know there was a GPS tracking unit out for dogs.....how much is it? Where can i get one? Is there a monthly fee? Who monitors the units or is it like a Car GPS where no one monitors it you just need to update the map very so often? I would be very interested in this DGPS

This is the unit I have. The one on sale ($99) works very well. You do need a monthly service, it's 12.99 a month if you pay for a year in advance, 14.99 otherwise. The unit uses a cell phone service as well as satellites. You can track the dog real time on a PC or smart phone, and it sends text messages and emails if the dog leaves it's "safe zone' . You can shut off the alerts if you go for a walk or drive, and just track in real time. You can set up multiple safe zones too.

[ATTACH]7075.IPB[/ATTACH]

meika_walk.bmp

I think this is great. Do you get a device like you do with a car GPS or is the cellphone and PC the only means of tracking? I notice that you have it fo the last 6 hours. Is that the lowest time search you can set it too because 6 hours is a long time to get the last know location from a husky. 6 horus later he could be on the other side of town and you could be chasing shadows if your dog were to get loose. Is the tracking unit on the dog on implanted like the micro-chip? What is the name of the GPS unit so i can do some research of my own/

This is the unit I have. The one on sale ($99) works very well. You do need a monthly service, it's 12.99 a month if you pay for a year in advance, 14.99 otherwise. The unit uses a cell phone service as well as satellites. You can track the dog real time on a PC or smart phone, and it sends text messages and emails if the dog leaves it's "safe zone' . You can shut off the alerts if you go for a walk or drive, and just track in real time. You can set up multiple safe zones too.

post-2509-13585960391655_thumb.jpg

mmmm thats rather expensive and on a collar so if the dog looses the collar or someone removes it then you cant find you dog again. I'm wating for the GPS microchipping and then will get my dogs fitted with those as soon as they are widely avaiable.

You might be waiting some time for a device like that. I mean think of it technologically. A GPS receiver is easy, it's low power consumption and is just that, a reciever. But now you need the device to transmit it's location! That takes lots of power. And you can't transmit back to a satelite, they are not meant to recieve.(well, a few can recieve, but not GPS sats) So you need a network that is designed to recieve, i.e. cell phone networks. Now you are essentially talking about a cell phone, implanted in your dog, that never needs recharging. That's Star Wars stuff. It is way way out there in the future. For now, we are bound to a power source that must be recharged on a regular basis. And a unit that is far larger than anything that can be implanted.

It is true, that if someone removes the collar, than it's game over. But unfortunately it's the best option we have right now.

I think this is great. Do you get a device like you do with a car GPS or is the cellphone and PC the only means of tracking? I notice that you have it fo the last 6 hours. Is that the lowest time search you can set it too because 6 hours is a long time to get the last know location from a husky. 6 horus later he could be on the other side of town and you could be chasing shadows if your dog were to get loose. Is the tracking unit on the dog on implanted like the micro-chip? What is the name of the GPS unit so i can do some research of my own/

There are GPS devices that track from a handheld device directly to the dog. These are meant to cover an area about a mile from you. The handheld device talks directly to the collar unit, no PC or cell phone network (or payments) involved. These are mostly intended for hunting dogs. They run a bit more money up front.

The 6 hours history is the lowest setting, but keep in mind you can always go "real time", and even with the 6 hour history, every spot is timestamped, so the most recent may be only 30 seconds old. Just because it goes back 6 hours does not mean it does not have info that is minutes or seconds old. It just means it is going back 6 hours to the present time. The unit is a collar unit, or you could place it on a harness I guess. There is a link to the device on my previous post, just click on that and it will connect you to the home page for the unit I have.

Will buy one when I find one (haven't been looking) that you don't have to pay any ripoff monthly fee (GPS service is FREE), on top they have the nerve to use googles FREE maps while charging you. 15y ago my boss had a GPS device and 3 transmitters he could place somewhere and it would show up on his main GPS unit. Surly there has to be something like that still around.

Just a quick search revealed this, range 7miles:

http://www.very-happ...CFUqApAod82aTHQ

or this, supposedly no monthly cost, looks like a normal GPS unit:

http://www.gpsdogcol...ct/ESSPetRoameo

This actually doesn't look to bad, 30$:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110622035675

HOW it works?

• Simply insert a GSM sim card into the GPS unit. Whenever you call the unit it will respond with the coordinates of its location thru a SMS message. You can then use these coordinates on any mapping software (for example google earth) which will show where exactly the unit is located.
  • With some little setup, you can also have the device to send the data directly to a computer thru GPRS and display its location on a map with our bundled software for real-time location tracking.

Will buy one when I find one (haven't been looking) that you don't have to pay any ripoff monthly fee (GPS service is FREE), on top they have the nerve to use googles FREE maps while charging you. 15y ago my boss had a GPS device and 3 transmitters he could place somewhere and it would show up on his main GPS unit. Surly there has to be something like that still around.

I guess it depends upon the way you look at it. First of all, GPS is only free when you are RECIEVING the signal. So yes, it's free to get your location. The problem is, your dog's collar knows exactly where it is, but you are not with your dog! The real challenge is, how do you transmit that info back to you! There are two methods for this. 1. transmit that info back to a handheld device you carry. This will be limited to your distance from the dog, and these type units usually require huge antennas mounted from the dog's unit. They are really meant for hunting dogs. 2. Send the location info back to you via a cell phone network. In this case as long as the dog is within a cell service, you will get the dog's location. This costs money since you are now using a cell phone network. But the collar unit is much smaller, and all the text messages, email, and live person support is included. If you pay up front for this service, it will cost about $156(US) per year.

When I lost my dog, I placed a $1000.00 reward for it's safe return. After a week, the dog was returned and I paid the reward.

• Simply insert a GSM sim card into the GPS unit. Whenever you call the unit it will respond with the coordinates of its location thru a SMS message. You can then use these coordinates on any mapping software (for example google earth) which will show where exactly the unit is located.

Whoa! Stay away from this one. Chinese junk. "SImply insert a GSM sim card!" This means you have to take your cell phone SIM card (which must be active) and use it for this device. Not only are you paying for cell service, your phone is now inactive! Because you are using your SIM card for this tracking device. Note it states "you can call the device" , which means it has a telephone number, which means it requires a cell plan.

Whoa! Stay away from this one. Chinese junk. "SImply insert a GSM sim card!" This means you have to take your cell phone SIM card (which must be active) and use it for this device. Not only are you paying for cell service, your phone is now inactive! Because you are using your SIM card for this tracking device. Note it states "you can call the device" , which means it has a telephone number, which means it requires a cell plan.

Yeah, but that is the thing. Get another sim card on pre-paid with credit that lasts for 1/2 year or more for 20$ and your good to go.

Solar powered magical none removeable GPS =]

Stacey xxx

I think it would be cruel to shave the dogs head and install solar panels into its skull.

On a more serious note(not really), they could implant a transmitter under the skin somehow powered by their own kinetic energy. The more they run the more they power it, use their own thing against them :)

....What happens if the battery runs out?

Imagine being confident about having the GPS tracker and then it runs out of battery? And in most cases, if people steal your dog they will take their collars off.

My suggestion:

Solar powered magical none removeable GPS =]

Stacey xxx

I agree, which is why in my initial post I said "If the dog is stolen, all bets are off". It's definitly just another line of defense in locating a dog, it has it's flaws. But with regard to the battery, it does send a warning (text, email) when the battery drops below a certain percentage (you can select the percentage). Under normal conditions, the battery lasts 3 or 4 days. I think it's those first critical hours that I really want it to work. Get a direction/location of the dog. Know which way to head. If someone steals the dog, and throws the collar, at least you would know (presumably you would find the collar since you can track it). As opposed to not knowing if the dog is roaming or was stolen.

I know this thing (gps) has it's flaws, no one should rely on it solely. But if your dog ever goes missing, it is another tool. Having gone through that, I don't wish it upon anyone.