ground raw meat and bones

SiberHusky97

I found a place that sells ground raw meat/bones/organs with no other additives. I would like to start feeding my boys this, but I am wondering if anyone has anything negative to say about this. I understand that ground meals will not help clean their teeth (I am OK with that), but beyond this, are there any major concerns why one should not feed this way? I am concerned of course with bone shards getting stuck inside of them or puncturing their digestive system. With this being said, here is my reason for wanting to go this route. My husky either has bad teeth (break off easily), or he doesn't know how to chew. He has chipped teeth on "innocent" things such as pork necks and ox tails, which are definitely not supposed to be as hard as knuckle bones; I have never fed those to them before. The only "no no" bones they've had in their lives (very rarely) were soup beef bones with marrow (as treats), but they will def not be getting those again. My little dog seems sturdier than the husky, because his teeth are still all fine, while on the same diet, which is why I don't understand why the husky's teeth are falling apart. I am in fact taking him to the vet this week to discuss this issue, and I really hope he doesn't need to have extractions. Anyway, I hate feeding them kibble and ground meat/bones seems like the only comfortable alternative at this point. What are your opinions? Thank you for you input.

P.S. I have fed them RMB's before and that's when the teeth troubles started. I have since gone back to kibble, but I resent that option.

As it was suggested to me by my vet and i pass on to others:

It is great that you are going to the raw diet, however completely understand what you are responsible for. Raw diet does not mean just any raw meat with bones but it also mean what not to give your dog. It was suggested to me by friends that started me on raw diet, have thier friends on raw diet, and confirmed by the vet to not give any pork bones sto my dog as they are the hardest of all bones. Some have disagreed with us but just our suggestion.

Along with raw diet we suggest that you add a dog supplement daily to your dogs diet like a multi vit and fish oil. Don't forget to give your dog one organ and fish a week to complete this raw diet. Good Luck.

Lesson learned the hard way, that's for sure. I don't have any vets in my area who support raw feeding, so I've been a bit in the dark about the types of bones/cuts that should be avoided etc. This vet that I'm going to seems to be more open minded, so we'll see what he has to say. Yes, I understand there are risks associated with feeding raw, but then everything in life has a certain risk to it. That's why I was curious to know if anyone had direct experience with ground meals.

Yes there are a lot of vet that dont approve because it requires time and effort that most vets know owners will not put the proper tie and effort into. I had to do a drawn out plan and explain to my vet step by step how i would but Lana on a raw diet. I am glad i did too because it does take proper time and knowledge to successfully but your dog on a Raw diet. Vets dont want the dog to suffer because of the lack of knoweldge, effort, expenses, and other.

Lesson learned the hard way, that's for sure. I don't have any vets in my area who support raw feeding, so I've been a bit in the dark about the types of bones/cuts that should be avoided etc. This vet that I'm going to seems to be more open minded, so we'll see what he has to say. Yes, I understand there are risks associated with feeding raw, but then everything in life has a certain risk to it. That's why I was curious to know if anyone had direct experience with ground meals.

Soft teeth surgests a calcium/phospherous defiecience so perhaps look into what foods you can feed that wioll help with this.. I personally feed minced chicken with bone, you are worried about bone shards but actually the bone is ground really quite finely so it will not harm the dog.

Phospherous foods are greens things like spinach (these should be juiced to get the goodness out for the dog) and also oily fish like sardines and mackrel and offal like liver, heart and kidney. These foods combined with the minced meat with bone should up the intake of calcium and help with the soft teeth, however if they are VERY soft then the vet might need to perscripe some supliments that can get your husky back on track before being put on foods that will keep the levels even. :)

Hope that helps.

from looking at your picture, is your husky still a pup? If so the teeth falling out would b his puppy teeth and nothing to worry about, if not then as others have suggested it might be best to get the vet to check them out.

As for minced meat, the only question i have is why not just feed whole raw foods such as chicken quarters, pork hocks? Obviously after you have sorted his teeth issues out.

The minced meat will stick to his teeth causing tartar build up, if they are weak now they will be terrible when hes older! Also you dont know what parts of the animal have been ground up, plus its going to be harder to judge what ratio of bone to meat is actualy in it.

Which company is it your looking to get the minced meat from? Its possible that it will be owned by a dog food company as a lot of them have now branched out into providing raw foods, which means it will be the same poor quality meats that your already feeding in the kibble.

This is just my opinion but if it was me i would be looking to get his teeth sorted first and then go onto a raw food diet that includes whole foods as apposed to minced up meat and bone.

The company I was going to use is https://hare-today.com/ They seem to be independent farmers/providers and they just sell meat with no crap added to it. Of course, like any other similar businesses out there, it's not cheap.. Local butcher would be better, although honestly, even the meat we as humans eat here in the States, is of terrible quality. By that I mean it is grain fed and full of hormones and antibiotics... I wish organic was more affordable for us humans and the dogs.

As for Riley, he's not a puppy anymore :) He just turned 4 at the end of October. He chipped right molar because he doesn't take his time chewing, but I don't know why some dogs get away with not breaking teeth, while others do not.

I feed a raw chicken ground meat in the winter racing season. I get my meat from Alaska and it looks like a puree. I really like the meat and so do the dogs. I have never fed a completely raw diet as my dogs are also fed kibble but I know many mushers and pet owners who feed a completely raw or B.A.R.F. diet and it works out well for them.

I see nothing wrong with feeding a raw diet as long as it is done right which I am sure you will do. biggrin.gif