Siberian Husky's Howl

mydiamond

I know that wolves howl to gather their pack members... But what about huskies? Why do they howl?

I live in a superstitious little town and the townfolks believe that a dog howls because they saw a ghost ( yes yes I know it sounds stupid )

I don't believe in that local myth so I don't mind my husky howling. But of course, his howl scares the neighbours and even the security guards! I don't know how to teach my dog to stop howling so I decided to explain to other people that my dog sees no ghosts. But first, I have to know why does my husky howls. Maybe he's feeling lonely? (I heard that we need to have at least two huskies. I only have one) Or is he sick? Pls post any possible reason.

It's definately not because he is lonely or sick! Healthy animals that have plenty of company still howl.

They do it because it's fun! Howling and other vocalisations are natural behaviours for huskies and are self rewarding (basically that means they enjoy doing it), which is often why it's so hard to train them not to do it. Just explain to people that it's just as natural for the dog to be howling as it is for you and that person to be talking to eachother, they've no need to worry ;)

Well even like their cousins, wolves, they howl because it is more effective way of communication over long distances. Now this is their natural behavior and they ARE pack breed. Yes they do how because of other reasons like loneliness (which Lana started doing ever since we had to have her outside since we are staying wiht my bother until the 15th), welcoming, bored, playing or just because they love to howl. The most common reason is as stated before is because it is more effective way of communication over long distance than barking is.

They are a musical breed....love them when they howl and talk.

I know that wolves howl to gather their pack members... But what about huskies? Why do they howl?

I live in a superstitious little town and the townfolks believe that a dog howls because they saw a ghost ( yes yes I know it sounds stupid )

I don't believe in that local myth so I don't mind my husky howling. But of course, his howl scares the neighbours and even the security guards! I don't know how to teach my dog to stop howling so I decided to explain to other people that my dog sees no ghosts. But first, I have to know why does my husky howls. Maybe he's feeling lonely? (I heard that we need to have at least two huskies. I only have one) Or is he sick? Pls post any possible reason.

Wolves don't howl when they are lonely (really, a lone wolf is very unlikely to howl because it's very vulnerable and doesn't what to attrack revaling packs). Wolves usually howl to call all pack members, just before they go on an hunt and when they are just exited. For huskies, I think it's almost always the latter. Some dogs bark when exited, some huskies just howl :)

Accoridng to some wild life research wolves do howl, however you are right that wolves are rarely alone as their chance of survival dropes by 87%

Wolves don't howl when they are lonely (really, a lone wolf is very unlikely to howl because it's very vulnerable and doesn't what to attrack revaling packs). Wolves usually howl to call all pack members, just before they go on an hunt and when they are just exited. For huskies, I think it's almost always the latter. Some dogs bark when exited, some huskies just howl :)

the only times blaze howls is when he is happy to see us, or somebody has something he wants

heres a video of my staffy x with my huskies bone - its only a small howl - but he is howling because he wants the bone back

That was so cute Nix...Jackson and Andy both lifted their heads from their naps when they heard Blaze. Jackson would have just swooped in and grabbed the chew away...kind of like he did with roadkill this morning. They each had one, with new squeakers in them, but only wanted what the other had! Go figure! Love your You Tube Videos!

That was so cute Nix...Jackson and Andy both lifted their heads from their naps when they heard Blaze. Jackson would have just swooped in and grabbed the chew away...kind of like he did with roadkill this morning. They each had one, with new squeakers in them, but only wanted what the other had! Go figure! Love your You Tube Videos!

Blaze wouldnt dare bless him he knows bingo is higher up than him lol

Echo howls a lot when her daddy comes home, because he will make howling noises at her :P

Then, we all sit in the living room howling at each other. I am sure my neighbors love it, and think

we are completely mad.

She is also really mouthy when she wants something, or when we tell her to do something. If

we tell her to sit, she will bounce around and howl before doing so :P

When I'm out in the dogs' yard with part of the pack, certain others will start a howl going - part protest, I'm sure, that they aren't out with me/us too! They will also call to me when I'm not out with them, especially near breakfast or dinner time, so I would say that is something of a 'calling the pack together' thing! Fortunately, there aren't any neighbors right up next to us to be bothered by the occasional midnight for-whatever-reason howl, and my neighbors have all commented that they think it's kind of cool when they do hear them sing! rolleyes.gif

Have you noticed any specific times when he howls?

Roxxy is a lone husky too...she howls for the following reasons:

• Police/ambulance sirens (on our walks, if one goes by, she'll stop in her tracks, sit down, raise her nose, and start howling along)
  • In the morning when I've "overslept" (according to Roxxy, anytime past 6:30am is oversleeping) and she wants me to get up
  • When she's excited and is rushing me to go for a walk
  • A bit of separation anxiety...about an hour after I leave, she starts to howl for about a minute to "call to me"...then stops pretty quickly. I know this because I've skyped her (I have 2 laptops at home and skype her from just outside to see what she does while I'm away).

Mine howl !!!! never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol well ok so Saskia every now and then, but Wolf!!!! he howls when he wants something but usually stamps his front paws at the same time which is hilarious!! and has everyone rolling around laughing, its like a child having a temper. Dont know where he got it from. Oh and he got an Asbo at husky camp for being noisy lol cos when he howls everyone knows!! lol he tries to talk to you , Sarah loves it, sorry yours are broken lol x

• In the morning when I've "overslept" (according to Roxxy, anytime past 6:30am is oversleeping) and she wants me to get up

Neo and Summer do this too - I sometimes get till half seven on a good day *that's if the kids haven't had me up already*

Plus the other half when he gets in from work usually gets greeted with a howl.. and he also howls back at them both.. lol

I would never do such a thing lol..