I Have No Control!

Mael

The idea of using the lead is a good one - it gives you a longer reach to be able to get to and correct/redirect her. Don't worry too much about her hating you - you haven't ever seen a mother dog correct her puppies, and while not all of them are firm disciplinarians, some are awfully tough! The "kids" still love their moms! If the best you can do is to put her in her crate for a few minutes, for a time out, do it, but do it very calmly, so that it's just the way things are, not a punishment because you're angry. If you're matter of fact about it, and it doesn't seem vindictive, it shouldn't cause negative associations - it's already a place she's used to as being "home". Sorry, I have no experience with chlorine. I would guess that as with human hair, it would cause some bleaching - if you try it, maybe give her a good rinsing after she's done swimming.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took her out on a lot of trips today, carried in my arms. I got kicked out of only one of the four stores! tongue.gif

One quick question, can I use my closet as a timeout area? She can't hurt herself in there, it's easily accessible, and I think she'll get the point that she did bad every time she goes in there. There isn't a light though, is this ok? I hope that this is a good solution because I don't want to use her crate, she's too skeptical of it already, I need her to keep getting positive messages from it.

For time out i don't think in my opinion should be put in a room on her own it wont help seperation anxiety if put there because she done some thing wrong if i were you i would try and make her stay in one spot where you can keep an eye on her and when she has done good an stayed there call her will teach her to wait and come on command (easier said than done i know) lol

dogs don't really understand the idea of a time out. Pongo was pretty crazy as a pup too and we jsut got him to run around a bit until he tired himself out. as for the biting he was always a VERY mouthy dog and still is, but he's a lot better at it. What we did was hold his muzzle closed (gently), look him in the eye and say "no bite!". they obviously don't like this and will remember next time. as for your pup getting into things, you can tie a leash to yourself and go about your daily business and this way you'll know where your pup is. either that, or watch them like a hawk! I believe I can take full credit on how well Pongo is now behaved because I watched his every move and corrected behaviors I didn't want. your pup needs to understand what is yours is yours and what is theirs is theirs. We did this by saying "ah ah!" or "no!" when Pongo went for something that was ours and handed him in return his toy and played with him with that. this way he understood that if he leaves that object that is ours alone, he gets play time.

as for walking your pup, I agree that it's too early. we made the mistake of letting Pongo walk in the petstore on the floor when he was young and we had awful battles with coccidious which is passed from dog to dog.

Puppy classes will definitely help, but not until they are 4 months at least imo. Just keep with it and your pup will hopefully be a well-mannered dog some day!