food

carriebyrne

ok im sure this has been discussed somewhere here but i cant find it as im still trying to work out how to use this, but niko is 5 months now and constantly has runny poos, we have changed his food, and we have tried just giving rice and chicken for a while and that worked , then i gradually introduced his food to him again and its back to runny poos, he is on royal canin and loves it, someone please help!!!! thanks

This sounds like a typical grain allergy, extreamly common in alot of breeds and especially huskies. Have a look at the back of the packet I would bet there is actually nothing very good in that food at all.. I just had a look at the basic royal canin puppy food and theres actually no meat in there at all just chicken meal then looooads of other cheap fillers so for the price you pay for that food its an absolute rip off! Try switching him (gradually) onto a grain free food like taste of the wild or anything that says grain free or holistic on the bag. He should get on much better. Also have a look at how much you feed him huskies are VERY economic with their food and very rarely need as much as it says on the back of the packet! 2 cups per day for an adult dog seems to be a general concensus and since your boy isnt six months yet I would say this should be split over at least 3 meals per day, little and often is best for little puppy tummies! :)

as mentioned the food your feeding isnt the best quality so try something different. The amount your feeding and the number of meals per day will also effect him, so either 3/4 meals per day and always go to the minimum, if not lower, amount that the bag recommends.

Im also going to suggest a raw diet and would recommend doing some reading on the idea, its what they would eat in the wild and what they still eat in Siberia so cant get more natural than that :)

Defo check the amount your feeding if is states 150-220 you want to be feeding the lower amount. Defi check the ingrdients & compare with a good quality one like orijin or taste of the wild. Huskys do have sensitive tummies & need a high quality food

btw - a few days of raw chicken wings (bones Inc) will sort the yum out immediatly. I know it sounds bizarre & vets don't get it (!!!) but it works every time!!

Hi Carrie, I had the same problem with Kodi until I switched him to Orijen large breed puppy, which he adores.

It is totally grain free, I order it online and it's delivered to the door (I dont think you can get it anywhere in Ireland). He has 3 cups a day. The only time he is a bit soft is if he has sardines (which he loves as a treat).

If you are switching him to another food do it very gradually over about a week and mix it with the royal canin gradually increasing the amount.

Have a look at the ingredients below to compare it might be of help , maize apparently is to be avoided.

Royal Canin

Ingredients:

Dehydrated poultry meat, animal fats, wheat flour, maize flour, maize, dehydrated pork protein, beet pulp, wheat, hydrolysed animal proteins, maize gluten, minerals, fish oil, yeasts, soya oil, fructo-oligo-saccharides, DL-methionine, yeast extract (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), egg powder, taurine, marigold extract (source of lutein).

Orijen Large Breed Puppy

Composition Featuring Fresh Canadian Ingredients:

Fresh chicken (boned), Chicken Meat, dry turkey, russet potatoes, fresh salmon (boned), herring, sweet potatoes, peas, fresh whitefish (boned), fresh perch (boned), chicken fat, chicken liver, salmon meal, fresh turkey meat (boned), fresh eggs, fresh herring (boned), sun-dried alfalfa, salmon oil, chicory root, seaweed, squash, carrots, spinach, beets, apples, cranberries, juneberries, blackcurrants, choline chloride, psyllium, licorice, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, fennel , peppermint leaves, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savoury, rosemary extract, sea salt, high-quality vitamins (vitamin E, choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin B1, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin), minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese, copper, selenium), Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

Orijen Puppy Large Dog Food does not contain artificial preservatives.

I echo everybody else. Although I don't know much about the food you are feeding, from the ingredients posted above, it doesn't look very good.

Also, constantly changing or immediately changing( as in giving your dog a new food right away rather than mixing a little bit of the new food with the old food a little at a time) can upset your dogs system.

So, try to find a food that has more natural ingredients and I would also look for a food that has no corn, no wheat and no soy as these can be the culprit for upset stomaches and allergic reactions. I don't really know what they have for dog food in Ireland though.... :)

Defo check the amount your feeding if is states 150-220 you want to be feeding the lower amount. Defi check the ingrdients & compare with a good quality one like orijin or taste of the wild. Huskys do have sensitive tummies & need a high quality food

btw - a few days of raw chicken wings (bones Inc) will sort the yum out immediatly. I know it sounds bizarre & vets don't get it (!!!) but it works every time!!