Seat Belt or Crate for car travel?

asanderd

I am leaning more towards the seat belt harness. I don't have my car yet, but it will most likely be a small sedan. It just seams a dog would be more comfortable and safer in a harness. I like the idea of leaving the harness on while in say petsmart or where ever and then just needed to belt them in. When I think of a crate in the event of a rollover, all I can see is the poor animal being thrown about and again in a crate. If I go the seat belt route I would us one of theses as well. lg-72118-52438N_002-dog.jpg

Yep I would also go with the harness purely because crates that are actually fully crash proof are SOOOOOO expensive (like four or five times the price!), if you just have a regular crate and then get rear ended your dog will just get crushed in the crate with the crumple zone! MUCH safer in the passenger area of the car.

As for worrying about whether the harness would hold... I use my harnesses to walk my dogs and I cant imagine crash movement being THAT different to what they normally pull on a walk so I wouldnt be worried about that! :)

When they're with me they're in the boot/trunk (seat guard & reinforced tail gate guard) when they're with Paul in his van - pup in crate & storm in seatbelt. I personally don't like the harness/seatbelt cos he can't move!

I've been in a rear end accident (hit by an articulated lorry) so realise the risk when they're in the back but it's the only option for us really

When they're with me they're in the boot/trunk (seat guard & reinforced tail gate guard) when they're with Paul in his van - pup in crate & storm in seatbelt. I personally don't like the harness/seatbelt cos he can't move!

I've been in a rear end accident (hit by an articulated lorry) so realise the risk when they're in the back but it's the only option for us really

I found a crash proof crate and holy hell they are expensive! For a Small size crate, they are $350.00 And that is for a dog no bigger than a beagle! I did google 'crash tested dog car harnesses' and came a cross some really nice comfy looking ones that have car seat belt quality webbing. And non I found were over $50.00 so I think I'll go the seat belt way and if I get a bigger car or SUV then I'll look in to the Crash crates. They are not like the ones we use n homes. They are huge and heavy so I can see my self lugging one up and down a flight of stairs when I have my niece in the car. There is no way one of those crates would fit in a small sedan with a harnessed Childs Booster seat.

I am leaning more towards the seat belt harness. I don't have my car yet, but it will most likely be a small sedan. It just seams a dog would be more comfortable and safer in a harness. I like the idea of leaving the harness on while in say petsmart or where ever and then just needed to belt them in. When I think of a crate in the event of a rollover, all I can see is the poor animal being thrown about and again in a crate. If I go the seat belt route I would us one of theses as well. lg-72118-52438N_002-dog.jpg

Hey Amanda,

Last night I was able to find a Kurgo seatbelt harness as well as their car hammock at Canadian TIre (not to sure what the US equivalent would be)

I'm super excited for it as the hammock will not only protect the car, but like in you picture above it will prevent the dog from potential injuring himself by falling through the gap between the front and back seats. Also the seat belt is on a pully system so they still can enjoy the car ride, but they are also secure. Plus when you detach it, the dog is still harnessed giving you control to stop him/her from jumping out of the car biggrin.gif

main-wh.gifazl_backview.gif

I've heard great things about the quality of Kurgo and I will let you know if my experience with the products is as good as everyone says. The Kurgo hammock can also be zipped on one side for a back seat passenger or child's carseatbiggrin.gif

Oh and I forgot to mention, I paid $100.00(Cnd) for both after taxes :)

Hey Amanda,

Last night I was able to find a Kurgo seatbelt harness as well as their car hammock at Canadian TIre (not to sure what the US equivalent would be)

I'm super excited for it as the hammock will not only protect the car, but like in you picture above it will prevent the dog from potential injuring himself by falling through the gap between the front and back seats. Also the seat belt is on a pully system so they still can enjoy the car ride, but they are also secure. Plus when you detach it, the dog is still harnessed giving you control to stop him/her from jumping out of the car biggrin.gif

main-wh.gifazl_backview.gif

I've heard great things about the quality of Kurgo and I will let you know if my experience with the products is as good as everyone says. The Kurgo hammock can also be zipped on one side for a back seat passenger or child's carseatbiggrin.gif

Oh and I forgot to mention, I paid $100.00(Cnd) for both after taxes :)

Oooh I like that one. It looks to be more durable. I like that it can be zipped to accommodate a car seat. I love the giant detachable bag with water bottle! I would modify so I could use my cars seat belts.

I wouldn't use the pulley system personally. I am so neurotic about safety. The handles that the pully system are not wight bearing handles. The are just screwed into the roof of the car. Now if they were metal and welded in, I would use it then, but in an accident those handles would be ripped from the car with even a 20 lb dog on it. With the centripetal force a 20 lb dog turns in to 600 lb dog. Thats SIX Hundred not sixty ponunds. Thats why its agains the law now to bring home babies with out a car seat. I love science, but sometimes it sucks! lol

Oooh I like that one. It looks to be more durable. I like that it can be zipped to accommodate a car seat. I love the giant detachable bag with water bottle! I would modify so I could use my cars seat belts.

I wouldn't use the pulley system personally. I am so neurotic about safety. The handles that the pully system are not wight bearing handles. The are just screwed into the roof of the car. Now if they were metal and welded in, I would use it then, but in an accident those handles would be ripped from the car with even a 20 lb dog on it. With the centripetal force a 20 lb dog turns in to 600 lb dog. Thats SIX Hundred not sixty ponunds. Thats why its agains the law now to bring home babies with out a car seat. I love science, but sometimes it sucks! lol

I don't know if this helps but there is also the option to attach the pully to the seat belts, not to sure how it would work with the hammock thoughwink.gif

main-azl.jpg

I agree that the system isn't perfect, but in my mind its still a heck of a lot safer then if they had nothing at all. Like Sarah mentioned crash proof crates are super expensive, and I know i personally can't afford to buy one, so this was the better option for mewink.gif

I don't know if this helps but there is also the option to attach the pully to the seat belts, not to sure how it would work with the hammock thoughwink.gif

main-azl.jpg

I agree that the system isn't perfect, but in my mind its still a heck of a lot safer then if they had nothing at all. Like Sarah mentioned crash proof crates are super expensive, and I know i personally can't afford to buy one, so this was the better option for mewink.gif

Now those probably are weight bearing. The only thing that I would be concerned with that is the Carabiner. Which is simple enough to replace with a nice strong one.

I've never needed a dog harness or a cage to put Suka in.

17082009039.jpg

17082009041.jpg

17082009040.jpg

The perfect passenger, she doesn't even change the station on the stereo! :D

In an accident Suka would fly out of that belt. In theory it would work, but because dogs don't have legs that extend down to the floor boards. Thats why children are supposed to be in boosters. They are simply bodily to small for a regular belt. That belt is not made to keep a dogs body shape in the seat. That belt would cause her more harm internally than any good. Again I'm going back to young children. Kids under 4'8 sit so low in a the car that the belt rides up to their bellies causing internal bleeding. With a dog, IF Suka didn't fly out of the seat by some miracle she would have damage to her rib cage because their rib cages are not flat like ours. I would harness her.

Omg suka is never safe in a regular belt :( she would be flown thru the windscreen :(

That's what I said.:( I hope Wayne either harnesses or crates her in the car. I am the most anally retentive person I know on Car seat, Seat belt and car safety in general. Lots of stuff goes on in the bodies of small children only restrained by a seat belt. I can only imagine the damage a belt would do to a dogs body, let alone an air bag. Kids here in the states have been know to be decapitated by air bags. It law that children under 12 can't be in the front seat with an active airbag because of that reason. If cars were not so important to everyday life I would avoid them like the plague. People drive crazy around here! And downtown is worse.:blink::(