Shad's Christmas Present

sutsibe

gallery_2099_649_79242.jpg

gallery_2099_649_49636.jpg

My buddy Shad had a fall about 2 weeks ago - probably a combination of some meds he was on and his age - he'll be 14 in the spring. He's on the mend, but still sore. He wasn't able to walk more than a few steps at first, but now mostly needs help getting up and down the stairs to the house. Anyway, Becky (Austinville) and I went shopping yesterday, and Shad got a new bed for Christmas! His old one wasn't too bad, but wasn't as large - not as tall/cushy, and if he wasn't careful when he'd lay down, one end or the other would usually fall off the edge. You can see he's enjoying the new bed - it not being disturbed so that I could take a picture!

Pretty nice bed! It has the "egg-carton" type foam on both sides. The "top" side is a durable twill/canvas type material, and the current bottom is fleece. The old bed is similar, and I'd had the fleece on top, figuring it would be more cushy - he kept complaining he was too warm, so when I got this bed, I put this side up, and he isn't complaining as much! He's been awfully good through all this - very patient with having to have help to do much of anything! rolleyes.gif

WOW! I wouldnt mind sleeping on that! Looks well comfy! I also got my lad a big bed for Christmas and got my girl a nice little one coz she curls up proper husky style and he likes to lay stretched out.... well my little miss being a bossy little sod she curls up right in the middle of his big bed so he cant fit on it and he lays fully stretched out on her dinky little one! Poor Shadowbear! :blink:

Anyway, hope your Shadow gets to keep his bed and is nice and comfy this christmas! :D

gallery_2099_649_49636.jpg

he isn't complaining as much! He's been awfully good through all this - very patient with having to have help to do much of anything! rolleyes.gif

I've got a mental video of him woowooing to you "Mom, I'm really warm with the mattress this way up, can't you do something about it?" :P

He is such a gorgeous, cuddly fella, he certainly doesn't look his age :wub: it's amazing how they know we're helping them & just get on with things, though :)

He is happy with the new bed - it's comfy - and not so hot with the fleece down! Actually, he never "said" a word, just lay there panting, and giving me looks! He isn't much of a talker - but his looks and actions speak volumes! If the answer is "no" to something (Do you want to go out? Do you want a bath?), he'll shake his front half - the greater the shake, the less he wants it, lol! laugh.gif

He is slowly improving. His rear is weak, and probably always will be, given his age, but he's feeling well enough to want less help. That's good, until it causes him to do too much! He went to greet Becky when she came over after we had pictures with Santa on Saturday (he loooooves Becky!) and as he went to turn around, he slipped and fell - he limped a bit the rest of the day! Was very happy to have her fussing over him, though! tongue.gif

Not much competition for the bed - except from me! If it were a little larger, I might consider it, myself! The other dogs aren't loose in the house because of the cats - even little Zeke isn't terribly trustworthy! He has only to give the cats "The Look", though, and they decide to behave! They love their Shad (while he likes the cats, he tends to be crankier with the young ones!) but he's boss dog! rolleyes.gif