Hello from B.C., Canada

HeatherHendricks

[ATTACH]7224.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7223.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7225.IPB[/ATTACH]Hello, my name is Heather and my puppy's name is Aura. We got her at 7 weeks old from a reputable breeder. My husband and I have read tons about huskies prior to getting one continue to do so. I'm looking to share ideas and confirm we're doing the right things. We built a 6ft fence in our yard prior to her arriving so she has a decent sized yard to play in. She gets 3 walks a day 5:30am (30-40min), mid-day 30 min walk (from a dog walker), and a 30-45 min run in the evening. She seems to be happiest with this routine. She is crated during the day (except now when I'm off work for Christmas) and does not cry out anymore....(used to have major separation anxiety). We'd love to eventually save $ and have her loose in the basement with her crate open, but we worry she will eat the couch stuffing or chew the tv eletrical cord..... We love her to bits...we look forward to trying skijoring and bike-joring in the future when she is over one year. For now we enjoy hiking, running and walking.......

Thanks for listening!! I look forward to making some connections and friends on here as no one quite understands a husky dog better than another husky dog owner!

Heather :rolleyes:

post-2902-13585958868944_thumb.jpg

post-2902-13585958877743_thumb.jpg

post-2902-13585958886452_thumb.jpg

welcome heather and aura.....

welsome to the pack and congrats on getting a husky......

depending on how old aura is now....that seems like an ok amount of exercise....is she is young then its too much....

im glad you have joined this forum its the best!!!!!!!

everyone is super friendly and will all want to help,

more pix please.......

kelly

Welcome biggrin.gif

Any questions you may have, we'll do our best to answer.

As Kells says you need to be careful about how much exercise she gets.

It should be approx 5 mins per month of age, so if she's 16 weeks then a 20 min walk is sufficient.

yes she can have several walks per day.

Why ?

Although she may be eager to do more, too much exercise at a young age can cause joint problems later on in life.

Not having a go, just trying to give you the best advice so you can have a long and problem free life with your Furbaby. biggrin.gif

post-3406-13585961095248_thumb.jpgpost-3406-13585961091949_thumb.jpgpost-2219-13585961106648_thumb.jpgHello, my name is Heather and my puppy's name is Aura. We got her at 7 weeks old from a reputable breeder. My husband and I have read tons about huskies prior to getting one continue to do so. I'm looking to share ideas and confirm we're doing the right things. We built a 6ft fence in our yard prior to her arriving so she has a decent sized yard to play in. She gets 3 walks a day 5:30am (30-40min), mid-day 30 min walk (from a dog walker), and a 30-45 min run in the evening. She seems to be happiest with this routine. She is crated during the day (except now when I'm off work for Christmas) and does not cry out anymore....(used to have major separation anxiety). We'd love to eventually save $ and have her loose in the basement with her crate open, but we worry she will eat the couch stuffing or chew the tv eletrical cord..... We love her to bits...we look forward to trying skijoring and bike-joring in the future when she is over one year. For now we enjoy hiking, running and walking.......

Thanks for listening!! I look forward to making some connections and friends on here as no one quite understands a husky dog better than another husky dog owner!

Heather :rolleyes:

Welcome Heather! This forum is great and full of information and wonderful people who have helped me in decided what breed of dog to get. I am also from Kelowna! ( near Knox Mt) I have recently decided though that it is best to hold off on my husky for a few years, as I can't guarantee what exercise commitments I can give him 5-6 years from now, when its a harsh winter, and I potentially have small children. I'm a little anal about planning ahead like that but thats just me! I will have my husky furbaby some day, but for now I am in the process of rescuing a 10month old Black Lab from the Penticton SPCA, and hopefully will be bringing him tomorrow!

Everyone here is so kind and friendly, regardless of my breed choice they have told me to stick around and made him an honorary husky.laugh.gif

You will meet tons of great people here, always willing to help, welcome to the pack!

P.S Aura is beautiful wub.gif Can't wait to see more pictures!

Hi Heather and Aura and Welcome

As has been said, there are a lot of helpful people on this site.

Just post what you need to know and you'll get an answer or two-

Aura is beutiful How old is she now?

And if ya havent noticed, people here will ask you for

MORE PICS PLEASE!!!

Hi Heather, welcome to the Pack. Aura is such a beauty. Sounds like she is being well cared for. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good for you on using a crate. Nothing worse than to come home and find a Husky who has chewed through an electric cord or torn up some furniture.

]Wow,

it's only been a few hours and there are lots of you who have responded!! I have to figure out how to make a signature... Aura is 7 months tomorrow. She was spayed a few weeks ago, it's been her only pathetic sad day (real drama queen). Other than that she has a very sweet, loving personality.

As far as walks, that is the max.... The walk in the AM is often followed by 4 hours of crate time. The midday walk is with our dog walker *(when I'm working as a teacher). Then 3-4 more hours of crate time. The evening one- we have gone without before and man she eats everything!! Especially the cat- we have a tabby cat that defends herself to a point.... we installed a wooden baby gate so the cat gets the whole upper floor - that is where her food and litter box are. Our bedroom and living room etc.. is on the main floor, where Aura hangs. When it comes to running - we gradually added it in and did exclusively trail for the first while and gave her plenty of walk breaks. We watched her behavior and monitored the intensity. My husband and I are both runners. She does well with 30mins and sometimes a bit more....with walk breaks and occational "chats" with her doggie friends.

Thanks for the encouragement....... Lately it's been interesting with the Christmas tree- all the decorations have moved up to the top half - she stole a few and chewed them.... she also runs circles around the tree, which makes all the needle fall off!! argh! We have a very study metal base so it will not topple. She is not left unsupervised in the living area for the cat's and furniture's sake.....

Any tips for steeling food off the counter?? She is just tall now...and she has stolen a WHOLE STEAK!! she ate it before I got it back... now I am very cautious when cooking meat...

Here are some more pics.. I need to some more at this age..... Her mother was a cinnamon and white husky and her Dad a grey and white... She seems to be a lovely combination of them both.

Some of these photos are from her in the first week....very small and cute ;-)

[ATTACH]7228.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7229.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7230.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-2902-13585958899695_thumb.jpg

post-2902-13585958908464_thumb.jpg

post-2902-1358595891698_thumb.jpg