A woman in her 40s has died after being savaged by a dog

KSNS

he victim suffered multiple injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene, in Wallington, near Sutton.Scotland Yard said the dog - a Belgian mastiff - was shot dead by police firearms officers.

There was at least one other person at the property at the time of the attack, but no-one else was injured.

A puppy has also been removed from the property in Demesne Road.

Police and paramedics were first called out at 8.57pm on Thursday, following reports of an animal attack.

A post-mortem examination was being arranged and next of kin had yet to be informed. Detectives from Sutton Borough are investigating.

Belgian mastiffs - which can grow to a height of 32 inches (78cm) and weigh as much as 50kg - are not classified as dangerous under the Dangerous Dogs Act.

The law refers to four kinds of dog which are banned: pit bull terrier; Japanese tosa; dogo Argentino; and fila Braziliero.

Belgian mastiffs are said to be "calm and obedient" on website dogbreedinfo.com.

The death in Wallington is the latest in a series of serious dog attacks.

A four-year-old girl was scarred for life in October after being savaged by a Japanese akita dog in Lee-on-Solent, Hants.

In April, 18-month-old Zumer Ahmed died after she was mauled by a cross-breed animal at the family home in Crawley, West Sussex.

In February 2009, three-and-a-half-month-old Jadin Joseph Mech was mauled to death by two family dogs at the home of his grandmother, in Ystrad Mynach, South Wales.

The dogs - a Staffordshire bull terrier and a Jack Russell - were destroyed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate the way dogs get such a bad rep straight away by press yes it is very serious but untill they can work out why it happend and to add all previous incidenst is just wrong the breed will get more slattig for what is by the best part of it idiotic owners who mistreat their dogs i would love to know more about this as from that reading it's just bad press and lack of fact aside from te dog not being on the dangerous dogs list appears to be the only fact so far..1

All dogs can kill if they are brought up wrong. Usualy when you read bewtween the lines a lot of these cases are about dogs on rough estates where the dog is treated as a weopon rather than a pet. So when someone gets hurt what should we expect.

Sometimes though with big doghs like mastiffs it can be caused by play getting out of hand. These dogs are extremely strong.

Talon is a big strong dog and could do some serious harm if thgings got out of hand.

We do not play wrestling or tugging games so that he doesn't get used to playing rough with us.

He is a big softy

mmm no mention of what she did to the dog to make it attack and no mention of whether is how it was brought up?! Reading between the lines it seems like another case of someone getting a dog "coz it looks tough" bringing it up badly and then being surprised when it hurts someone! And the poor dog was shot!? No attempt made to see if there was some medical or behavioural issue that could be solved, just shot on the spot! <_<

Bloody sensationalist jurnalism, it does NOBODY any favours! :angry:

its the only thing they could have done to be honest, is to shot the dog. regardless of how it was brought up, it is still classed as a very dangerous dog at that time.

the dog was dangerous, and had been reported to the police before this happened, so i suppose it could have been sorted beforehand, but prob the police didnt do anything about the complaint.

there was also another lady and their child there when it happened but they got away unharmed, so they will know how and why it happened.

I just saw an asshole old supposed friend of mine put this om facebook sayin 'a cat wouldnt do that' n ' the hippy dog owner brigade' now that really chaps my ass !

What a terrible thing 2 happen, dogs r not dangerous, its the effin owners!!! wots wrong with people r they that stupid that in this day n age its not the breed its the way they r reared................i really do give up with the human race ! :angry: HIGHER SPECIES MY ASS !

I just saw an asshole old supposed friend of mine put this om facebook sayin 'a cat wouldnt do that' n ' the hippy dog owner brigade' now that really chaps my ass !

What a terrible thing 2 happen, dogs r not dangerous, its the effin owners!!! wots wrong with people r they that stupid that in this day n age its not the breed its the way they r reared................i really do give up with the human race ! :angry: HIGHER SPECIES MY ASS !

Some people just don't get it.. no a cat wouldn't do that because cats are too busy roaming the streets being all independent.. and they don't have the size of the dogs..

I would love to shove a size five foot up the backside of people like that because as you say people always blame the breeds etc..

I agree, there is always something behind it.. and the problem as usual is people are too quick to assume..

The way it's going all dogs will be banned.. and no one will be able to own one !!

I feel for the family who are now having to deal with this and so close to Christmas :(

Very sad news my thoughts are with the family of the lady who died.

It would be good if the media could present a balanced view of such reports rather than merely a one-sided view. That said why should we expect them to spoil a good story with the facts

If history shows us anything it's that humans are far more likely to attack / kill for no reason than any animal

mmm no mention of what she did to the dog to make it attack and no mention of whether is how it was brought up?! Reading between the lines it seems like another case of someone getting a dog "coz it looks tough" bringing it up badly and then being surprised when it hurts someone! And the poor dog was shot!? No attempt made to see if there was some medical or behavioural issue that could be solved, just shot on the spot! <_<

Bloody sensationalist jurnalism, it does NOBODY any favours! :angry:

Woah, hang on. It doesn't say that they made an attempt to solve it, but it doesn't say that they didn't. Is this a local paper, cause it looks like someone only listed facts rather than wrote an article!!! Same as the actions leading up to the attack are not reported - don't let yourself fall victim just because you are on the side of the dog.

Here's a little responsible journalism, it's ITN. It explains the way the police had to deal with the dog (BBC below) before it was shot.

I think this owner needs to be found...

Police have lauched an urgent appeal to find the man they believe owned the large dog that mauled a woman to death in south London.

Detective Chief Superintendent Guy Ferguson said: "We are in the process of contacting the lady's next-of-kin. We also urgently want to speak to Alex Blackburn-Smith, who is the main occupier of the premises, in relation to the circumstances of the incident to establish facts."

Barbara Williams was savaged on Thursday night at her home on Demesne Road, Wallington.

The dog was shot dead by police marksmen.

Alex Blackburn-Smith is believed to be Ms Williams's partner and the owner of the dog.

However, getting a quote from a neighbour http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-12075849 doesn't seem like responsible journalism to me.

I think we are biased.

I live just round the corner from where this happened. Normally there are loads of dogs out walking on christmas day and today it was just us. Got some abuse from alot of people out with kids saying that all dogs are dangerous and they should all be wearing a muzzle.

Its really sad. There is a local park where everyone walks their dogs and a more quite one where i take merlin. It looks like both may be subject to dog banning because of this from speaking to the few people i did see out with dogs.

Such a shame.

Got some abuse from alot of people out with kids saying that all dogs are dangerous and they should all be wearing a muzzle.

Well based on that logic let's shoot every little brat kid that has an ASBO. Better yet let's cut to the chase and shoot them all before they get chance to be little sh!ts.

Can't we castrate and sterilise these retards yet? It's getting worse with these miscrient dole career dobbers by the week with all the cr&p they beleive and say....