Hello from Ontario, Canada

ScubaJo

Hello everyone,

I first wanted to say thank you to those who started this forum, and all of you who have made it what it is today - it's truly the most wonderful repository of valuable information I've come across to date on my research into the breed.

Last year, my husband and I rescued a young male Alaskan husky from our local SPCA who had been in and out of the shelter mutiple times with unknown history - and we bit off more than we could chew as first time dog owners... I'll admit it was pretty moronic of me to succumb to the "oh he's so cute" and coercions at the shelter (anyone out there ever have a member of the SPCA staff tell you the dog is going probably going to get destroyed if you don't adopt him? I am a card carrying bleeding heart). I am happy to say there is a silver lining from my naiveity, I was able to find a very experienced family for him and his special needs, we get regular updates and know he's in his forever home now.

After that rather life altering experience I made friends with a very reputable local sibe breeder and have been on her puppy list for a while now... one of her ladies whelped last week and I think it might be time to try again with a puppy. It'll be a couple months yet until "it's time", and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit scared that I'd fail again as a husky owner. And thus - I continue to read your experiences and tips here. Thanks again and looking forward to "meeting" many of you.

Joanna

Hi Joanna, and welcome to the Pack. Sometimes, older dogs that have been cast from one owner to another, have issues, and it does take someone with a special ability to cope and work with such animals. So, there's no shame in admitting you bit off more than you should have. At least you saw to it that he went to a home where they could take care of his needs.

Welcome! Do you know if the breeder you're talking with shows her dogs, races, or both? A dog/puppy out of showing lines is likely to be a little more laid-back than one out of strictly racing lines - and Alaskans are bred for running, so I'm not surprised he was more energy than what you expected! If the breeder shows, and her dogs are fairly laid-back, you should have an easier time... At least once you get past the puppy stage - wishing you well!

Hi Joanna, welcome to the pack :wave:

I'm sorry to hear your first foray into the furry world we live in was not the best, but you did what was right for you & the dog at the time & it sounds like he's happy where he is. And this time round, you can read all about the good (and bad :unsure::rolleyes: ) sides of being a husky owner! Any questions you may have, feel free to shout up, there's always someone around to help out, xxx

Welcome to the forum! I also live in Ontario, in Waterloo. I own 2 huskies as well as 2 of their offspring, so if you'd like to meet up sometime to see firsthand how it is to have a husky pup, I'd be happy to help :)

Taylor, +1 for offering the husky experience!

Hi Joanna, welcome :) We have had Huskies for a year now, and I still consider myself a novice :blink: When I got my first husky, people told me I was crazy to take on a puppy at my age - but after doing more research I got one anyway. This forum saved me from making too many mistakes and I now have two huskies :lol: Every day is an adventure with them. They are inquisitive, loving, intelligent, stubborn, high energy (but they do sleep a lot :lol:), playful, gorgeous, hard work - in other words - AMAZING, and I wouldn't change what I have right now for anything in the world.

Good luck in making your decision. If we can help in any way, let us know :)

Hi everyone!

Wow, I'm overwhelmed seeing all of your posts and warm wishes in here, thank you! I'm absolutely thrilled to be joining this amazing community.

The breeder primarily breeds for show and many of her dogs are also St. John Ambulance therapy dogs on the side so she definitely has temperament as a priority trait in her lines - here's hoping a leg up with "nature" and the right "nuture" from us makes for happy future husky.

Taylor - greetings from Winona B) Will definitely take you up on that offer sometime, thank you so much!

Joanna