Christmas in South Africa

Rosemary

Well, all our visitors arrived safely and in time from the UK, Australia and upcountry. It was fantastic to see everyone and everyone came laden with gifts. Christmas is always held at my daughters house as she is the only one with a house / table large enough to accommodate us all.

These are the two 'children' who are the center of our Christmases - my daughter and niece

gallery_1365_790_41739.jpg

gallery_1365_790_50848.jpg

The 'kids' playing Santa and helper

gallery_1365_790_100650.jpg

gallery_1365_790_81155.jpg

gallery_1365_790_28289.jpg

Lunch - self service - everyone brings their favourite dish

gallery_1365_790_12297.jpg

Pudding - lots and lots of pudding - my husband is a pudding monster :blink:

gallery_1365_790_11713.jpg

And of course - Santa Paws - my daughter's two daschunds (sp?) :) They are the reason why Ozzy and Micah had to stay at home - the daschunds fight with the huskies who just want to play (Ozzy and Micah think they are toys to play with) :blink:

gallery_1365_790_69740.jpg

It was great - we had a real international Christmas with Mint sauce, cranberry (sp?) jelly and Christmas pudding from the UK, Christmas crackers and wine from Australia. My favourite Christmas gift was Liquorice from Australia called Darrell Lea - fabulous :) My husband got a beautiful wolf puzzle - which he has already started.

Most of the gifts were home made - biscuits, bath products (fantastic stuff), slippers, craft items, garden items - the list goes on and on. Oh yes, my Mom made quilts for most of the girls, which she made by hand - she is 75 years old. That is what I love about Christmas, not a lot of money is spent, but a lot of time and effort is spent making stuff for everyone. My father actually joked that the wrapping of the gifts were the most expensive part of it all. Its great :)

Everyone who joins us for lunch pays R50 (5 pounds). This money is then paid to the homeless shelter in our area two weeks before Christmas, which helps them prepare a Christmas lunch for the homeless. My Dad's idea.

Glad you all had a great time. biggrin.gif

If we knocked all the interior walls through in our house. . .

We might. . . might just fit that table in. . . LOL laugh.giflaugh.gif

:lol: :lol: Andy - that is one of the bonuses of living in South Africa, the houses are big. My daughter's house is bigger than average I admit, but her husband inherited money from his grandfather and they built their dream home. The house prices in South Africa are roughly a third of what you pay in the UK. If I sold my house here, I would not be able to afford to buy a house in the UK :huh:

Oh Rosemary, sounds like a wonderful time. What a great looking table, and the food; my gosh the food. But what struck me most about your posts on this thread, was giving money so the homeless could have a meal. To me, that says what Christmas is all about. Sharing so others can enjoy.

Thank you :) Dave we have a HUGE unemployment rate in SA, and as the economy worsens - yet again - more are joining the ranks. Is it as bad in the USA and UK ? We also have thousands of street children. The non-profit organisations do what they can, but it must seem like they are fighting a losing battle at times :(

Thank you :) Dave we have a HUGE unemployment rate in SA, and as the economy worsens - yet again - more are joining the ranks. Is it as bad in the USA and UK ? We also have thousands of street children. The non-profit organisations do what they can, but it must seem like they are fighting a losing battle at times :(

In some parts of the USA, unemployment is very high. Homelessness is on the rise, and people are losing their homes in this economy. Where I live in Iowa, there has been some of this, but not to the extent in some states like Michigan. Thankfully, the company I work for has grown by leaps and bounds the last two years, and 2011, looks to be even more robust for us. I am very fortunate.