When to neuter/spay?

Rob

I read about this the other day.................

" A study by Salmeri et al in 1991 (Salmeri et al JAVMA 1991;198:1193-1203) found that bitches spayed at 7 weeks were significantly taller than those spayed at 7 months, and that those spayed at at 7 months had significantly delayed closure of the growth plates than those not spayed (or presumably spayed after the growth plates had closed). The sex hormones close the growth plates, so the bones of dogs or bitches neutered or spayed before puberty continue to grow. This growth frequently results in a dog that does not have the same body proportions as he/she was genetically meant to. For example, if the femur is normal length at 8 months when a dog gets spayed or neutered, but the tibia, which normally stops growing at 12 to 14 months of age continues to grow, then an abnormal angle may develop at the stifle. In addition, with the extra growth, the lower leg below the stifle becomes heavier (because it is longer), causing increased stresses on the cranial cruciate ligament. This is confirmed by a recent study showing that spayed and neutered dogs have a higher incidence of CCL rupture (Slauterbeck JR, Pankratz K, Xu KT, Bozeman SC, Hardy DM. Canine ovariohysterectomy and orchiectomy increases the prevalence of ACL injury. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004 Dec;(429):301-5)."

It seems no matter what age you decide to have either sex done there's alot of pro's and cons, my brother-in-law has 2 female labs, one just over 2 years old the other is around 3 months old, the older one was spayed after her first season on advice from the vet, , when they took the 2nd pup for her shots the very same vet advised spaying her before her first season. If the vets can't make their minds up how are we supposed to know the best time to have it done.:blink:

The difference makes one wonder, doesn't it?

I'm guessing that around a year should suffice, just to be on the safe side.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not going to argue the point too much as its been done to death but is the only reason your getting your dogs neutered because you dont feel you can control them? You say unwanted pregnancy, but if your responsible and cautious when shes in heat you shouldnt have any problems?

In regards to the plates not fully closing, the reduction of testosterone and estrogen after spaying has an effect on the way your dog grows and in some studies it was shown that doing this at a young age can have adverse effects. In some it means they dont grow to their full potential and in others it meant mechanical problems such as HD, dogs can take on a "leggy" appearence, with the leg bones growing too rapidly and not allowing the hip joint to form as it should.

There are a whole host of problems with spaying that you need to read up on and from there make a decsion. IMO i wouldnt have it done as the problems it can cause are problems that huskies are already genetically poor for such as Hypothyroidism, if it was a necessity then i would only consider it after 18-24 months.

whatever you choose its your choice, nobody elses, just do whats best for you and your dogs and you will be fine :D

Im not going to argue the point too much as its been done to death but is the only reason your getting your dogs neutered because you dont feel you can control them? You say unwanted pregnancy, but if your responsible and cautious when shes in heat you shouldnt have any problems?

In regards to the plates not fully closing, the reduction of testosterone and estrogen after spaying has an effect on the way your dog grows and in some studies it was shown that doing this at a young age can have adverse effects. In some it means they dont grow to their full potential and in others it meant mechanical problems such as HD, dogs can take on a "leggy" appearence, with the leg bones growing too rapidly and not allowing the hip joint to form as it should.

There are a whole host of problems with spaying that you need to read up on and from there make a decsion. IMO i wouldnt have it done as the problems it can cause are problems that huskies are already genetically poor for such as Hypothyroidism, if it was a necessity then i would only consider it after 18-24 months.

whatever you choose its your choice, nobody elses, just do whats best for you and your dogs and you will be fine :D

Unwanted pregnancy is the only reason, there's no issues keeping them "under control". I'm confident i can keep them apart but i have 3 kids, all it takes is one of them to leave a door open and i've got a pregnant dog, something i don't want and i'm sure the world doesn't need yet another accidental litter.

all it takes is 1 second and BAM pregnant dog

tho the reason we got blaze neutered - he had started growling towards us! and no matter what we did - he was getting worse - he has always been a dominant dog - but growling at family is a no go! - he has now calmed down n the only time he growls at us? is when we grab him from behind - he doesnt like that

thats not us not being able to control him, thats us protecting our family incase he decided to go further than a growl ]

skyla will also be getting spayed once i feel she is ready for it - we arent going to breed them so she doesnt need to be kept intact theres more chance of her getting a female related cancer intact there there is if she is spayed - so spayed it is :)

same goes for males too

you would discount the people who benefit financially - even tho they are doing a job!? so if your dog got cancer and your vet said they need to operate - you would dismiss them - 'because they will benefit financially' and get paid for saving your dogs life?

again ill say - you cant get cancer in what you dont have

if my dog had cancer would i ignore the vet? lol a bit extreme, but i get the point your making. Unfortunately ive had far to many incidents with vets recommending far to drastic solutions to very simple problems, luckily ive now found one that i can trust and who is up to date with a lot of the new research being produced.

So from one simple point to another, if your dog had a tummy problem and your vet recommended a brand of "special" dog food to help, would you use it? Or would you use your own methods from research you have done i.e chicken and rice?

well considering my vet would reccomend chicken and rice then obv i would go with my vets methods ;) then again if my dog had a tummy upset i wouldnt be rushing straight to the vet unless i thought it was serious - i would however ring them and get some advice

yup it was an extreme way of putting things but im glad u get my point lol

i think so long as we have vets WE trust - then if we think they are suggesting the best for our pets - and not just suggesting it to get money out of us - and we can usually tell a difference right? then why argue about it - it was our choice to get blaze neutered - we researched the pros and cons - and couldnt actually find any cons as to our reasoning to get him fixed - and thus we have only seen the pros in him

If your vets good like that then your lucky lol trouble is far to many people take a vets advice without doing the research, you have seen from here the number of different opinions given from peoples vets whose to say which one is right?

If you did the research and found that you felt it right to neuter then fair play, like i said at the start its not about being right and wrong as there really isnt any conclusive evidence to show which route is better, you just have to do what you feel is right for you and your dog.

I just want the OP to know that getting a dog neutered isnt the only option, do your research and see what you think.

Glala is spayed and Dana isn't. It's a big heap of money (it is not the problem here, but it IS much), and we where actually wondering if it's even worth it. She is 8 years now, and she only gets a bit winy in her season and gets much more affective towards us. But she is very clean. So that's barely a problem for us.

On the other hand, cancer. It might be just me, but it seems you can get cancer from basically everything these days. Don't get me wrong, I surely believe you. But how was this in the history when spaying wasn't de facto? Did dogs all die because of cancer?

I once read that dogs have "a higher change" of getting another type of cancer when they ARE spayed/neutered. I just hear too much information that completely goes against each other. Not just with dogs, but with everything that involves cancer.

Statistically, dogs have a higher chance of dying with a condition with their overies than if you had them removed.

So if you don't want a litter of pups, and you want to avoid some dangerous health problems, then by all means spay your girl.

Like I said in my post with the pros and cons, you are not guaranteed a 100% fine and perfect operation, but if it goes successfully, it could be very beneficial.

Just incase people are thinking I'm biased towards getting dogs spayed, I'd like to point out that Aleu's still intact and has not been spayed (yet - not sure whether I will or not yet).

Stacey xxx

Kira is being done 3 days before her 2nd birthday

She has had 3 seasons, and is now fully grown and matured alot mentally aswell. Even if you have a neutered male they can still tie, and neither me or Rick can take a month off work to watch them (if they tie and then freak out they can rupture their 'bits' and bleed to death pretty quickly)

I also dont fancy her getting:

Pyometra

Mammory cancers

Cancers of the womb

The benefits far outweigh the risks at her age tbh

that depends also doesnt it tho - my breeder knows of dogs who have tied thru a crate and also if they are that detirmind to get to each other they will find a way - which could risk in them getting hurt if they are in crates

u think ur lucky u only have the 1 male - but for those of us who have 1 of each its cheaper to get them spayed/neutered then it is letting them have a litter

lol i have two boys. Putting it simply Nix there are plenty of owners out there with both sex dogs who manage just fine with them intact. If you work long hours and arent responsible for your dogs then no i wouldnt recommend keeping them in a crate, in fact i wouldnt recommend you having a husky full stop.

Neutering dogs because its more convenient is wrong in my eyes, if you dont think you can keep control of two sex dogs then dont get them?? pretty simple but again just IMO.

sorry i didnt realise u had 2 boys lol

thats the thing - we dont work full time - my dad does but me n my mum dont - i actually have 2 jobs so does my mum (well she will when shes back at the other)

yes there are plenty who manage just fine - but like i said it only takes 1 second for them to tie - you could have gone to the toilet n bam - youve got a pregnant bitch - you know

and to say dont get 2 diff sex dogs is just silly - tbh we never wanted a bitch we were all set on getting another male - but skyla at 14 weeks old - already needed a new home after only being at her previous home for a week - how can u just say no 2 a pup in need? you cant - thats why we ended up with a bitch instead of the male we wanted - not that i regret it for one second

but like sid said - a male can still tie with an in season bitch n then freak out they can rupture their 'bits' and bleed to death pretty quickly - even if they are neutered - which is another reason why its best to get a bitch spayed too

fair enough you have your reasons to not want to get your boys fixed - your not the only one on here BUT most of us on here have decided that we are going to get them fixed as we feel thats whats best for our dogs and nothing will change our minds :)

ETA: also im not saying its more convenient - im saying its cheaper - puppies cost ALOT of money - and if you see how many are in rescues - or being pts because there are so many that people/rescues cant cope with - take staffies for example there are THOUSANDS of staffies in the word - and HUNDREDS are being pts everyday because there are so many of them around - and huskies are becomming the new staffies in the world

so imo its cheaper and safer if you get your dogs/bitches fixed

you go to the toilet and bam there pregnant?? lol umm why you would leave an in season bitch with an intact male together whilst you went to the toilet is what i was saying about being irresponsible.

If you got your dog neutered to make it more convenient for yourself thats up to you, but if your home all the time and responsible with your dogs there are other options, but each to their own.