When to neuter/spay?

Rob

what i mean is no matter how much you try to keep them apart theres always a chance - no matter what - that they can find each other and tie - and what if u cant seperate your dogs - theyve grew up together never been apart them suddenly for a month they arent allowed near each other for the best part of the day

they are going to go MENTAL and work themselves up so much that they are either going to hurt themselves or make themselves ill

i dont explain myself very well lol

again its cheaper and safer to get them neutered then it is to let them have a litter - yes theres always a chance a spay/neuter could go wrong but theres also alot more risk if you let them tie and have pups - or just dont get them fixed in my opinion

ETA: also like i said we didnt get Blaze neutered because we got Skyla - we DID manage to keep them from tying - whilst she was in season - we got blaze neutered because he had a few behavioural problems - neutering has fixed, but i would not want to go thru what we went thru keeping apart 2 intact dogs twice a year

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what i mean is no matter how much you try to keep them apart theres always a chance - no matter what - that they can find each other and tie - and what if u cant seperate your dogs - theyve grew up together never been apart them suddenly for a month they arent allowed near each other for the best part of the day

they are going to go MENTAL and work themselves up so much that they are either going to hurt themselves or make themselves ill

i dont explain myself very well lol

again its cheaper and safer to get them neutered then it is to let them have a litter - yes theres always a chance a spay/neuter could go wrong but theres also alot more risk if you let them tie and have pups - or just dont get them fixed in my opinion

ETA: also like i said we didnt get Blaze neutered because we got Skyla - we DID manage to keep them from tying - whilst she was in season - we got blaze neutered because he had a few behavioural problems - neutering has fixed, but i would not want to go thru what we went thru keeping apart 2 intact dogs twice a year

I know exactly what you mean, i grew up around dog's, i've spent over 30 years been around them and have seen first hand the lengths some will go to, to get to each other, especially males, i'd consider myself fairly experienced with dogs(first experiance with Huskies but to be honest i don't find Ice that much different from any other dog this size and i must be doing something right as he's very well behaved) but the one thing i know nothing about is breeding them and its not something i want to be thrown into the deep end with.

One thing that is fact is that there are far, far too many accidental litters the world over, both mine are solely pets so for me removing the risk altogether is being responsible. It will also save him 2 months out of every 12 of what to him will be like hell because their locked away from each other.

you go to the toilet and bam there pregnant?? lol umm why you would leave an in season bitch with an intact male together whilst you went to the toilet is what i was saying about being irresponsible.

If you got your dog neutered to make it more convenient for yourself thats up to you, but if your home all the time and responsible with your dogs there are other options, but each to their own.

Emmmm... I've known more than one person (responsible people involved in showing and/or working their dogs) who have had accidental breedings where the dogs have gone to some pretty amazing lengths to get together! My Strider is one such. His breeder thought her bitch was done, but she evidently was fertile quite a bit past where she should have been. She kenneled the two dogs outdoors in adjoining runs, and the male managed to break through the chainlink to get in with the bitch. I've heard a number of similar stories, over, under or through doors and fences (even through the mesh!) to do the deed. I had a bitch bred 26 days after I first saw blood, once - they're supposed to be fertile around 10 - 14 days!

BlueWolf, one good reason to spay Dana is the risk of pyometra. It's an infection of the uterus that is more likely in older, intact bitches, and if not caught in time, they can easily die from it. Here's a link to some more info about it...

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2109&aid=918