Gonna let the vet have it!

elenamarie

Hi, need you guys' advice.

Sarah came home slam full of worms. I've spent over $200 at the vet's office to get rid of them. She had a fecal exam Monday which was supposedly negative, but Sarah just spent an hour defecating a HUGE number of worms, most of which were alive and ranged in size from small to humongous.

:ran_confused: :angryfire: :banghead: :bash: :cussing:

She had three doses of StrongidT, one week apart, which obviously didn't work.

When I call the vet Monday (they're closed now) and let them have it, I need to know what to demand they give me to solve this problem once and for all. Anyone know what is guaranteed to get rid of these vile things?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drontal Plus XL Dog Worming tablets for XL dogs...i know huskys aint extra large but these bad boys will get em gone.Also am i right in saying that they only come out after have had a dose of anti worm?

No, they're coming out after a dose of metamucil and barium the vet gave me to address the severe diarreha she had during treatment. She was having the runs last night and I gave her a dose thinking it was because of something she got ahold of, not realizing she still had the damn worms.

Sarah is 14 weeks old, can she take the Drontal? She's 15 pounds right now.

Thanks!

Drontal Plus XL Dog Worming tablets for XL dogs...i know huskys aint extra large but these bad boys will get em gone.Also am i right in saying that they only come out after have had a dose of anti worm?

Right on the nose, Steve.

The treatment is working, and it can take up to a week until they are clear.

The fact that you are seeing them is a GOOD sign.

However you might still want to ask why it took 3 weeks for the treatment to start taking effect.

Right on the nose, Steve.

The treatment is working, and it can take up to a week until they are clear.

The fact that you are seeing them is a GOOD sign.

However you might still want to ask why it took 3 weeks for the treatment to start taking effect.

The problem is that she passed copious numbers during the treatment as well. It was quite unpleasant for both of us. I may never eat spaghetti again.

She had the last dose of StrongidT on the 20th, almost two weeks ago. Does it really work that long? I know in horses you have to change your wormers every three months or the worms develop resistance, is it the same for dogs?

And how the hell could the fecal have been negative when she's LOADED????????? :wtf:

Change your vet.

Sounds like this vet is gonna scam your money. Best thing to do at the moment is to say fix the worms or your taking your business elsewhere. Dunno over the pond but vets are quite competitive and will make sure to keep you (and your money).

We used to be at one vets in Cranbrook, our kitten got sick and no matter what they did and charged for the pleasure of it, he just got sicker, so we went in and siad if they can't sort him out he's being PTS (thats my mum saying that - I was only 12 at the time). The cure? 6 x 12p syringes of medicine for sick cows.

After that we went to a nearby vets that was cheaper, more helpful and didn't charge you for just walking through the door.

Change your vet.

Sounds like this vet is gonna scam your money. Best thing to do at the moment is to say fix the worms or your taking your business elsewhere. Dunno over the pond but vets are quite competitive and will make sure to keep you (and your money).

We used to be at one vets in Cranbrook, our kitten got sick and no matter what they did and charged for the pleasure of it, he just got sicker, so we went in and siad if they can't sort him out he's being PTS (thats my mum saying that - I was only 12 at the time). The cure? 6 x 12p syringes of medicine for sick cows.

After that we went to a nearby vets that was cheaper, more helpful and didn't charge you for just walking through the door.

Even if they don't charge me for this next round, I think I'm going to find another vet. My old equine vet was great but she only does livestock. I just can't believe the fecal was negative. UGH!

Anyone know if dog worms develop resistance to specific wormers?

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I dont think they can develop resistance to worm but the worms can to certain Meds for sure

Sorry for being unclear, my communication skills decline in direct proportion to how angry I am! I thought dog worms might develop resistance like horse worms, but wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming!

First off, your vet should have explained the worm cycle. Worms, not the eggs, are affected by wormers. So, when you give a dog of dose of wormer, it will only kill worms, not eggs. Only the worms will release their hold, but any eggs that remain in the gut, are not affected by the wormer. If the wormer is working, you will see worms in the stools. Otherwise, the worms won't release and you won't see them. Eggs take around three weeks to develop into adult worms.

I have used Panacur C for Zoya with great success. It is a powder in a packet. The packets are dosed by weight. So, there's a 1 gram packet for up to 10 pounds in weight, a 2 gram packet for up to 20 pounds in weight, and a 4 gram packet for up to 40 pounds in weight. You simply select the correct combination of packets for the weight of your dog. For a fifteen pound dog, you'd have to get two one gram packets and use one full packet plus half of the second packet. Mix with some wet food. Repeat the same dosage for a total of three days in a row. Then three weeks later, repeat the dosage again for three days in a row. This second treatment will get those eggs that existed the first go around.

The key is to keep all stools cleaned up from your yard to prevent reinfection. Doing just the wormer, and not keeping the stools picked up, may simply result in reinfection or perpetual worm infestation.

Did you say your pup in 15lbs? at 14 weeks old

We have Northern Inuit pup who is 12 weeks and weighs 25lbs i know they are bigger dogs but that seem light

Worms could be the cause of an underweight condition.

She's probably underweight a bit because of the worms. That doesn't sound right from the way you're describing it. After the second dose (and 11 days later on top of that) you should't be seeing live and dead worms squirreling around.

My thoughts exactly! Why is she still infested???? Three doses one week apart, and a negative fecal later, I shouldn't be seeing huge roundworms.

We are cleaning feces regularly, and she's on Revolution which is supposed to be an antihelmintic. I'm just totally hacked about this. Not only has it been a lot of money but Sarah is still suffering! UGH!

And I'm feeding her lots of homecooked meals to help her catch up with her weight.

Well your doing your best it just seems the vet is not........as for feeding have you tried raw chicken wings/portions for weight gain?.......they work wonders

Nope, haven't tried that just yet. Mainly I've been making her meat--mainly poached--and adding it with small amounts of fats to her food. And sometimes I make her chicken and rice, which she LOVES. And homemade puppy cookies.

Once we get this worm issue resolved I'm going to try her with the raw meat. Right now her tummy isn't feeling well, I can tell, and I don't want to stress her any more than she is now.