Gonna let the vet have it!

elenamarie

My pup was infested with worms and losing all goodness from food due to worms.....i started him on raw feed not long after we knew he had them...he has piled on the pounds since....you do what you feel is best for your dog let us know how it goes

How long did it take you to get rid of the worms? Am I being unreasonable to expect a month's worth of worm treatment to work?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming that she wasn't dewormed by the breeder, in which case she had worms growing in her that would have been at different stages of development when you first wormed her, so would have likely had eggs and smaller larvae that might not be caught by the wormer, which affects the adults. Strongid-T is pyrantel pamoate, which is a fairly mild but effective wormer. The instructions for baby puppies are something like at 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8 weeks, so I'm not surprised that it would take more than a month to clear up the worms. If you feel it isn't working, ask your vet for something stronger, but I believe that it should work in time, once you get the various ages/stages of worms out of her system!

One of the worst ways to wake up:

Sarah came out of her crate this morning, and her stomach is making those god-awful noises that indicate a mass of mucus-encased worms sometime during the day.

Ugh.

I am SO ready to give that man what-for!

And poor Sarah, it obviously hurts her, she just lays there and looks miserable. Once the mass passes she's back to herself within an hour but until then. . ...

Oh, and she's started vomiting occasionally, which I understand is due to the worms.

And she won't eat until the mass passes, which she definitely does NOT need. Given the gut noises and pain, it doesn't surprise me but I wish she'd eat something. She definitely has an appetite afterward, though.

Ohhhhhhhh, I am going to give that man a chewing he'll never forget!

Hey Stevo, when you give yours the raw chicken wings, how do you keep your dogs from dragging them all over the house? I can see Sarah carrying it to her pillow to knaw on, and I really don't want raw chicken droppings all over the carpet. And does it have to be wings? I have a freezer full of boneless chicken breasts. Will those do? What about raw beef?

Thanks. :)

You can hear her gut all the way across the room, so it's little wonder she feels so bad. I just hate that she's so sick after supposedly being "cured."

Could the gurgling be due to anything else too?

Marley has a rumbling,gurgly tummy very occasionally and he hasn't got worms,he just goes off his food for half a day and then back to normal,no other side-effects

or is he just 'odd' :unsure:

ps-sorry dont mean to hijack poorly Sarah's thread :)

Could the gurgling be due to anything else too?

Marley has a rumbling,gurgly tummy very occasionally and he hasn't got worms,he just goes off his food for half a day and then back to normal,no other side-effects

or is he just 'odd' :unsure:

ps-sorry dont mean to hijack poorly Sarah's thread :)

The first time she had the growling tummy I thought she'd gotten ahold of something behind my back, but after about 6 hours of it she had the most awful, hour-long expulsion of worms. Since then, every time her tummy starts this she passes a mass within 12 hours. If she doesn't pass any today I'll be really worried!

I haven't had enough time with her as a healthy pup to know how her tummy is going to react normally. I'll remember Marley if it happens after the worm issue is resolved. Does Marley act sickly when it happens to him?

And don't worry, thread hijacking is ok. :)

No, Marley is just bit mopey and just misses a meal nothing else,no runs or vomitting just noisy tum.

then he's just back to being his normal 'stoopid' self :lol:

think he just does it for attention!! has been checked at the vets and he's perfectly healthy.

I think its much the same as when we get grumbles...there's nothing wrong (or at least i hope not)

Progress, perhaps? Sarah just had her expulsion, lots of mucus but the worms were small (less than an inch.) Twenty minutes later she's eating and ready to play. Her tummy must've been at it overnight.

Still gonna let the vet have it, though. Negative fecal my butt!

OH. MY. GOD.

I gave Sarah her first dose of Panacur this morning, and a few hours later she started throwing up worms.

I nearly lost my stomach.

She hasn't had any out the other end yet, waiting for that.

I've been so busy with her today I haven't had a chance to call the vet. Which is probably a good thing, the only words I've managed today are swear words at those people. And love words for poor Sarah, of course. She's just miserable.

Two more days to go for the first round of treatment. I sure hope this does the trick.

Hey Stevo, when you give yours the raw chicken wings, how do you keep your dogs from dragging them all over the house? I can see Sarah carrying it to her pillow to knaw on, and I really don't want raw chicken droppings all over the carpet. And does it have to be wings? I have a freezer full of boneless chicken breasts. Will those do? What about raw beef?

I would stick to chicken until you are sure that her tummy is settled. Beef can be a bit richer for them so can sometimes upset their tummies. The only way to stop them dragging the raw meat through the house, if they are so inclined, is to contain them in one room or feed outside. You will find as she gets older that their isn't much gnawing going on, it is generally a chew chops and gone. You can give the boneless chicken breasts as well. If you put her on a raw diet in the future then you will need to include meaty bones, i.e. chicken wings, legs, beef ribs, not just meat.

Hope she gets better soon, sounds like she has/had a particularly bad case of worms.