Gonna let the vet have it!

elenamarie

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it took another visit to a new vet and a Drontal, but Sarah is FINALLY free of worms. :banana:

In case anyone does a search for this issue, the new vet informed me that roundworms and whipworms are almost completely resistant to StrongidT. While Strongid may get some, it rarely does the job. Apparently people have been misusing it and the worms have adapted accordingly.

The Panacur got most of the rest but because Sarah really needed to get this resolved--and my bank account was just about depleted in the effort, all told it was just over $600--the vet decided to dose her with the Drontal. Man, that's good stuff!

And to ensure that she isn't reinfested, we've put her on Advantage Plus for monthly heartworm/intestinal worm/flea treatment. Despite what the first vet told me, Revolution is NOT an antihelmentic for dogs. The new vet also says that Revolution is far too finicky for dogs, if it isn't applied exactly right it will not provide good heartworm prevention. She says it's great for cats but she does not recommend its use for dogs.

Wow, so glad that's over. Sarah is a much happier puppy! Growing like a weed too, she's at 23 pounds and gaining weekly. Her coat is so much nicer too. See the difference? (Same pillow)

[ATTACH]8051.IPB[/ATTACH]

December 2010

[ATTACH]8050.IPB[/ATTACH]

Today

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support during that most unpleasant time.

post-2927-13585961871089_thumb.jpg

post-2927-13585961874456_thumb.jpg

my goodness just read this right through, poor sarah and poor you. Our vet charge almost 10 pounds per dog for worming so we now buy them from a company called www.petdrugsonline. its half the price as there is no vet profit :D we also buy our frontline (flea treatment) from them too, so have a look to see if there are online pet drug suppliers where you are ;) so glad sarah is ok now bless her x