I did it, I bought one.

Storm Angel n Auroras Mum

After a series of sprained elbows and clicked shoulders I caved in today and bought Storm a Canny Collar. OMG it's the best thing I ever did, just a walk around the street and what a difference it makes. I know some of you think I'm cheating by doing this but I feel like I had no choice as he is really too strong for me and I had to do something. He wouldn't listen to me and pulling him back didn't work. So there you have it, Storm has a canny collar. Shoot me if you must. :o;)

no one should judge you at all!!!

we use a halti on darwin cos he is a bugger when he pulls on walks, he is getting better and with the halti/canny it helps restrain their pulling whilst you try and train them out of the bad behaviour.

after 6 months of the halti, echo is now on a flat collar and walks like a dream, daughtry is on a harness and walks lovely.

darwin needs a bit more training....

not every owner wants to be hauled everywhere and if you have to use a training aid then thats fine imo....

as long as you keep up the training with a normal collar inbetween uses of the canny he will get better x

Thanks guys. I thought I would be judged coz when I posted the other week about it and which one should I get a few people commented on how I should train him better instead of "just slapping on a head-collar". Wasn't any of you guys though. :D xx

some of us have to use these training tools to help our dogs walk nicely.....

i walk all three together and having two adult dogs draggng and a pup trying to pull....headcollars were a god send to me

they are better and two are off them now but at the time i really needed the headcollar.....

not everyone had their dog trained to perfection and not everyone likes being pulled by their dogs...

most of us agree with you and wont say anything nasty

Actually, what I said was:

The first part was in response to your comment that you won't use other tools like check chains or semi-slip collars because they are cruel. Head collars are just as aversive, if not more so, to the dog than tools like check chains, prongs etc. It is a training tool just like any other, not a replacement for training. I have no problem with people who choose to use tools, but they need to be used properly otherwise they won't work; could hurt the dog; won't actually teach the dog anything. You also run the risk of having the dog learn to pull on the tool which will make it completely redundant and the dog even more resistant to training.

It's great you have found something that gives you a bit more control, now use it to your advantage by doing some training with your dog to reinforce the behaviour you want to see more of ;)

We were suggested to use a halti on Kira.... What a HUGE mistake that was.

He pulls.... really REALLY hard. He could pull through the halti, it worked for a few days then all hell broke out.

I have him on a walking harness and it's much better for him because it won't break his neck if he pulls ;_;

From a lot of articles that I've read, a lot of trainers refuse to use the haltis. There are many people that swear by them. All depends on what you prefer and what works for you. I tried using a prong collar and that didn't even work, WTF! Sled dog much? Ha. I use to be against them but after doing a lot of research, I've come to find that they are probably one of the most humane collars besides the martingale collars.

Edit: Bec - Yes, that is true but they are aiding tools that help use better to get our message across to the dog. Hence why there's so many different tools. They're all great and work for all kinds of different dogs and people.

I tried using a prong collar and that didn't even work, WTF! Sled dog much? Ha.

This is kind of my point - a tool in itself won't teach a dog loose leash walking. I've seen dogs pulling on prong collars, head collars etc - it means nothing unless you have the right training program (method) to go along with it :)

Edit: Bec - Yes, that is true but they are aiding tools that help use better to get our message across to the dog. Hence why there's so many different tools. They're all great and work for all kinds of different dogs and people.

I agree :) I think it's brilliant the OP has found a tool that can help her walk her dog without aggravating her shoulder injury, it is far better than the dog not getting walked at all or the owner getting frustrated and giving up etc. But many people don't realise that a tool is just that, a tool, and there is no quick fix or magic bullet when it comes to training a dog to walk nicely on the leash - no matter what tool you use, you need to use it properly and back it up with good methods and training.

Honestly Storm'sMummy, I mean no personal offense and apologies if you took it that way. I was simply trying to clarify my post in your other thread as it seems you have misunderstood my post. I have no problem with people using training tools as long as they are used properly. I am an obedience instructor and I see people whose dogs learn to pull on tools like head collars all the time. I'm posting simply from personal experience. I wish you all the luck with your dog.

:)

Haha, yeah, I don't disagree with any form of tool to help them walk right, I've tried everything and for a while. Tried checks, all kinds of different collars, treats, you name it. My dog is really stubborn. He's slowly making progress on the walking harness, slooowwly, ha. I had him walking perfectly one day, ONE day *cries* I don't know why, I guess he just wanted to tease me.

A friend of mine has a Golden Retriever and a Shetland Sheepdog and the two of them pulled just as bad as my huskies on regular collars. She works at Pet Valu and the owner suggested she use Halti's. Her dogs walk great in them now, but they've never worked on my two. Zoey would always find a way to get it off her face and Cesar just flipped his head around like a fish on a line, screeching and struggling the whole way. I'm glad Storm is walking nicely for you now Louise! Zoey's sprained my wrist and 3 of my fingers, so its definitely not a fun experience walking them when they injure you !