How Long should I walk my Husky and How much exercise do they need?

Machocopter

Hello , I am thinking of buying a Siberian Husky (AN INCREDIBLE DOG) and need to find out information from actual Husky owners . ( not cross bread , pure husky )

I need to know how much I have to walk them. I have 15 minutes in the morning and about 1-2 hours in the after noon. Is this enough? plus I have decades at the weekend.

I was also think of taking him to my local park for walks with my family.

I have a Medium/ Large garden good for running about and catching and throwing balls (football too)

Is this a good environment for a Husky and Can I get the exercise he needs in the time I have?

Thanks for Your Help

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes in the morning is probabley not enough if your then going to leave the dog all day.. If Im going out for any length of time and have to leave my dogs they will get at least an hour before I go and a big kong toy or bone to keep them occupied while Im away and then the 1-2 hours in the afternoon/evening.. otherwise you would come back to utter chaos in your house and one rahter unhappy husky! Other than that sounds fine.. lots of fun at weekends.. basically huskies are the type of dog you could walk all day and they'd still be up for a game of tug in the evening! :D

I have on one side (Next to the road about 2 1/2 m fencing on 3 sides of the garden and on one of the sidse about 1 1/2 m , next to the neighbor. I would have to build a gate to keep S/he so they do not go into the neighbors garden. I also have quite a big garden and we do have somebody at home this month so he will be able to be in the garden for the time I am away.

I would also have to block up the small homes just incase he tries to dig through or escape. Concrete fence blocks though

Well for the first month while we have people in the house , but I have a rather larger ally where I keep doves and I was thinking to make it a gate where it could not get out but has quite a bit of space and where the kennel would be. I am not taking him inside the house. I say if they can live outside in Siberia they can live outside in England. I would make it a really nice warm kennel. I would look after it like it was my brother ;)

Thanks

TBH I wouldnt a leave a husky in any garden unattended! They are escape artists - Isis (my husky) has found that if she jumps on the wall of our pond she can easily clear the neighbours fence - so someone is always outside when she is!

If you plan to keep your husky outside when you are not at home, it is advisable to buy/ make some kind of secure run, so that you know when you get home your husky will be waiting for you. However when we go out Isis is in her crate, and just sleeps most of the time were not there!

I was thinking of keeping it on a long lead and mike a pole which is attached to the lead and so she can move around foward , back , left , right. And the lead slides on the pole. I know they are escape artist but I had a rabbit for 4 years and it had never escaped , we found dozens of escape attempts. I am sure I have a good secure garden and know what I am going to do. I will make a sort of run or Pen , There is only one door and surrounded by 2 1/2, walls.

Thanks Alex , your a really good help

Agree with Sarah and Alex if you are leaving him in the garden for any length of time unsupervised I'd get a run or something, 15 min walk in the morning ain't gonna cut it when he gets older I'm afraid. If you get a 100ft lead off eBay and take him on the park for a blast or maybe meet with another dog you can tire him out much quicker than just walking on a short lead but still not in 15 mins ...... I'm not trying to annoy you just going on my dogs exercise

only just seen this

tbh i would NEVER leave a sibe (or any other dog) out in the garden unsupervised weither it on a long line or not - people could come and steal it - it could chew thru the line or even get tangled up and hurt itself even strangle itself

why wont you have your dog inside? as a puppy they wont be able to cope with cold as they wont have their protective undercoat untill they get older

i think if ur leaving a sibe all day aswell then no 15 mins isnt really enough

If you get a full grown older husky, you might be ok with a covered run, however, I've seen enough videos of huskies escaping every kind of fencing imaginable- check out you tube videos. Here are some funny ones:

- my favourite, the husky climbs the fence...without a running jump!

(not a husky but probably true for a husky)

(dog thinks he's a cat)

(here is a husky jumping a 6ft chain link fence)

Yes, dogs do stay outside in the north- but they also grow very thick coats first, then they get out for long exercise sessions dog sledding. Sometimes the dogs are not nice dogs to pet or play with because they are chained up most of the day. My parents lived in Nunavut, Yukon and Northwest territories and I visited them in several of the communities. The Inuit people (in Canada) mostly keep their working dogs outside and some pet dogs outside.

Personally I find because our husky never smells and hardly sheds, she is a pleasant dog to have inside. In fact at 7 months old, we have managed to condition her to be cuddly... (she was not this way at first)

Just my two bits.....

Siberian Huskies are pack oriented and love to be with their 2 (and 4) legged family. There are people who keep their dogs outside and don't bring them in, sure. But with just 15 minutes of exercise in the morning, you're going to have one bored, lonely, restless Husky. Who is already outside. That's not a good combination. They are excellent diggers and one of my foster dogs was a Husky/ Aussie mix. I had to leave him home one day when I had to work (the dogs come with me.) I got a call not even 4 hours later that he had dug out of the yard (family was in and out of the backyard/house.) When they are bored, they will find things to entertain themselves. If that just so happens to be a human-less stroll around the neighborhood... so be it. They are nothing like rabbits.

They are extremely vocal, some more than others. I hope you don't have crabby neighbors because these guys can really let it rip when they want to.

Overall, from just reading your posts I don't think a Husky would be in your best interests right now. They are high energy, and the more they are ignored and isolated, the worse (and more 'wild') their behavior becomes. This is a breed that needs you to be totally committed to. This isn't a breed that you can take for a walk or so a day and be done with. They live/need/thrive off human interaction and exercise.

Hello , I am thinking of buying a Siberian Husky (AN INCREDIBLE DOG) and need to find out information from actual Husky owners . ( not cross bread , pure husky )

I need to know how much I have to walk them. I have 15 minutes in the morning and about 1-2 hours in the after noon. Is this enough? plus I have decades at the weekend.

I was also think of taking him to my local park for walks with my family.

I have a Medium/ Large garden good for running about and catching and throwing balls (football too)

Is this a good environment for a Husky and Can I get the exercise he needs in the time I have?

Thanks for Your Help

No, I don't think that's enough. Huskies are very active and have lots of energy, especially puppy huskies. They have husky energy + puppy energy.

There are some breeds that excel when left outside as an outside dog, but not most huskies. If you get one, you should bring the dog inside with you

and keep it contained while you are gone in a crate.

If you can make some adjustments, a husky wouldn't be a bad choice.

Like other people have said 15 minutes is just not enough regardless if I have to work or not I get up extra early to walk my two for atleast two hours before I leave come home on my break walk them for another hour go back to work then three hours out before bedtime. I'm sorry but after reading all your posts I honestly don't think it's suitable for you to own a husky. If you were going to treat it like your own brother why lock a puppy outside? It would be misrable like people said Sibes are pack dogs they LOVE being with their people I would never imagine having my two anywhere but with me sure they love it outside but they'd howl to come inside if I'd locked them out 24/7 and a puppy taken away from it's mother and siblings and put straight outside to pretty much fend for itself cause come on lets face it you're not gonna be there all the time? Is the only human interaction this puppy is gonna get when someone goes to feed it? That's just not enough for any dog let alone a sibe, they need far more respect than that. I don't think Siberian huskies are for you or any dog if you're just gonna keep it outside. I don't care what anyone says dogs are supposed to be family members not things you can keep in the garden like a rabbit.. Again I don't think you're suitable for this breed, they need alot and deserve so much more.. I may seem mean or harsh but I'm fed up of people getting this wonderful breed and mistreating it because they want this cute siberian husky puppy and it ends up of preloved full of problems just because people just don't don't bother about it's basic needs

I'm have to advise against leaving the dog in the yard. We rescued a husky who was raised by a young single guy who left in the yard all day while he worked. Tika ran away so many times (jumped the fence, dug under the fence, chewed through leather leashes) that eventually the owner just gave up coming to pick him back up. When we got him, he was about 2 yrs old and very anti-social: wouldn't come in the house unless the weather was terrible, not good with kids, liked me but only me, growled at house guests and started charging the fence when neighbors would walk by. He was a lovely dog otherwise... blink.gif

We had to give him back to the Humane Association after 8 months because I realized even my grown-up friends were afraid of him, and then he decided to discipline my 10 year old son as though he were a puppy (knocked him over, held him down and nipped above his neck). I felt terrible, but I just couldn't control him. Had he been properly socialized as a puppy, I think the story might have been different.

i'm now on the laptop and not phone so can see you live in london. There are plenty of owners your way. Mick and Terry Brent live in that direction, they run SHWA (UK) which is one of the husky welfare organisations. they have around 12 or so huskys themselves - they show them, run them on rigs and do lots for the welfare of other huskys as well as foster themselves. They are very experienced and welcome new comers to the breed who are willing to learn about huskys and decide whether they are the right breed for them or not.

Im sure it would be worth touching base with them, you would learn loads. They are terrysibe or raindog on here

I agree with the rest huskies don't belong outside mine love to be in the garden but as soon as door is shut they howl and bark and jump at the door. Huskies or any other dogs should not be outside all the time in my view its cruel. If you want a pet to leave outside maybe a cat is better as they like to be out. I really think you should look more into this then just buying a husky

Huskies and any other breed of dogs are not hamsters or rabbits. You can just lock them up or tie them to a post. I don't know how anyone can think tethering a dog outside all day would be a good idea, I have to ask, if you're only planning on giving your dog 2 hours of attention a day, why do you want one??

Ideally dogs should be in a home where theres someone there the majority of the time, Cats are individual and can get on with things indepenantly quite well, but dogs need our frequent support.

Stacey xxx

my three get at least an hour before i go out and i would never leave my dogs unattended in a garden....they would chew through or get tangled as others have said....

my dogs are all indoor dogs with the family...it will howl if left alone as they are pack animals.

15 mins is not enough and your dog will be unhappy and lonely and with way too much energy and this will lead to detruction....

also ALL fences should be 6ft with maybe 2ft underground so an 8ft fence...

from your time constraints i would say get a yorkshire terrier or small breed......however these should not be left outside either....

im aware that my dogs have two thick coats and are made for winter, however when we had all the snow they were tucked up with their blankets in my warm living room.......i couldnt leave my dogs in that weather

• 4 months later...

why wont you have your dog inside? as a puppy they wont be able to cope with cold as they wont have their protective undercoat untill they get older

BLING BLAZE N SKYLA!! my dog is outside all day and night every day, and loves it.. they have their fluffly undercoat at a very young age and can live in very cold tempuratures.. that is exactly what they are bread for. they are not meant to be cooped up inside, i think its terrible to leave a husky stuck in a house all day when all they want to do is run. juno was born in december, in -20, and she was outside at 5 weeks old... and lovin it.

and ALEX T!!! 5 minutes per month???? juno is 6 months and runs hard for minimum 45 min, at least 3 times a day.

This thread is nearly 6 months old.

they are not meant to be cooped up inside, i think its terrible to leave a husky stuck in a house all day when all they want to do is run. juno was born in december, in -20, and she was outside at 5 weeks old... and lovin it.

None of these Huskies are being "cooped up" inside. They live the life of beings pets and included in the family. My dogs are walked throughout the day as well as get taken to the dog park and wherever else I can bring them. They are a part of our family and enjoy being inside or outside with us. My dogs love nothing better than curling up with us at the end of the day watching some TV on the couch. I think it's unfair for a dog who thrives on being in a pack and with it's family to live it's entire life day and night segregated from said family.

and ALEX T!!! 5 minutes per month???? juno is 6 months and runs hard for minimum 45 min, at least 3 times a day.

5 minutes per month at a time is the general rule for exercising puppies. They are young and are still growing. Serious and/or strenuous exercise on a pup that young could cause pain or growth problems either now or down the road.