Well, we made a decision :)

Chemgrad08

We decided on the 5 year old husky over the malamute rescue pup. He was a show dog, so he has a great pedigree! Here are a few pics and we go pick him up on Saturday January 8th. The previous owner shaved him for the summer, so he's alot lighter than this now since his top coat hasn't come back in yet.

post-2890-13585959329425_thumb.jpg

post-2890-13585959329917_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, well she got him in 2005 and he was only shown for a few years before she got out of it. She shaved him bc it gets so hot in NC during the summer. We don't plan on shaving him and we hope his coat comes back in. Right now hs undercoat is in and he has a line of his top coat down the middle of his back.

What a handsome chap. biggrin.gif

Glad you are planning on taking better care of him than his last owner.

This is our first husky, so any advice is wanted as well. We have read up on the breed and have talked to owners, so we know the basics....but we need to know teh deep dirty secrets too that only an owner would know :) he was introduced to our Shih Tzu and that went ok. He just sniffed her out and was ready to run, so he didn't pay her any attention. lol. She did snip at him at first bc she doesn't like anybody being in her face where he was licking her....but he kept the tail wagging and just ignored her. She will definitely come around as time goes by.

Gorgeous boy he is! Regardless of the heat they should know better as a family who showed him... I hope you don't make the same mistake as them and shave him if it gets hot or you relocate to a hotter climate. If anything it just makes it worse for them. Odin really had a hard time dealing with it. But anyway :) Before you bring him home you may want to have him fully exercised and tired so the first night goes smoothly. Hopefully he is crate trained because it would be in your smaller dogs best safety interest if he was crated until you are sure he'll be OK with her.

Routine brushing will help the coat come in as it will stimulate the hair follicles. Supplementing with fish oil and vitamin E will help too.

Thanks! Yeah, I don't think we will shave him. He is definitely crate trained which I was excited about...just for night time though. He was/is potty trained, but has been strictly outside for the past year. Gotta get him back in the groove. lol! I work days and my husband works nights, so I'm hoping that that will make his adjustment go much easier. We WILL be buying a KONG from what I've seen on here. LOL!

How much should I feed him? I've seen a couple of posts on here, but I don't plan on doing raw meat unless its a must. Right now my Shih Tzu gets fed twice a day...1/2 cup of Beneful with veggies on top (per the vet). She said teh husky is on Purina and I'm sure she'll tell us the dosage, but I was just curious :)

The hubby has already bought him a backpack for camping!!

If you can afford to move them on to a higher quality food it would be in their best interests (nutritionally.) But of course, feed what you can afford. I see some people go broke trying to feed the dog the best money can buy... laugh.gif I feed raw but I also feed Taste of the Wild (kibble) to one of my "anti-raw" dogs dry.giflaugh.gif

At 5 years old his personality is pretty solid. Neutering him won't effect that, I don't really believe that neutering affects "personality" anyway. If he's been an outside dog for the past year you may have some issues with marking. Which of course isn't the most fun thing in the world. Prior to getting him neutered I feel it's best to sort of "drain them" with exercise which will make the neuter more beneficial.

Wow shaved and then left outside, the folks your getting him from are either really dumb or really heartless! I'd be checking him bodily all over for any sort of skin problems that could have been caused by their stupidity!

As for how much to feed, look at the back of the food packet and use the lowest estimate and then if you feel he needs more up it from there, but as a rule huskies are very economical with their food so most people Iv seen who feed kibble tend to do a 2 cups a day split over two meals.

Yep I would deffinatly say neutering is a good idea it shouldnt change him just chill him out a little. :)

Yep Kong toys are a great thing to have for him as is the backpack, with that just let him wear it empty a couple of times to get used to it then gradually up the weight you want him to carry and dont exeed the guidlines on the packet. :)

Any other questions just shout up!

Agree with everyone else, don't shave as it makes it worse in the heat. just keep lots of water or look into get a kool collar which can hold ice or ice packs to keep the neck area cool. a lot of people use kiddie pools for their huskies (including me) to keep them cool in the warmer months.

as for food, beneful will probably give your husky stomach upset because if you read the ingredients it's full of fillers such as corn and wheat. Take if from a person who struggled with stomach upset and diarrhea with their dog most of it's life, this is not pleasant. most huskies cannot tolerate those ingredients. a lot of people on here feed Wellness, blue buffalo or Taste of the Wild. I like taste of the wild more because it has no corn, wheat or soy in it. beneful gives false advertisement unfortunately and there aren't really many vegetables in it at all.

compare ingredients to beneful:

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, propylene glycol, meat and bone meal, tricalcium phosphate, phosphoric acid, salt, water, animal digest, sorbic acid (a preservative), potassium chloride, dried carrots, dried peas, calcium propionate (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

only 2 veggies, and dried... dry.gif

Here is taste of the wild: (we like the pacific stream formula, but there are others)

Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Now in this food you can definitely see the first four ingredients are a protein source and they use potatoes for starch instead of wheat or corn. also you can see there are veggies in it. definitely think about switching, it's much healthier for them and they actually need to eat less of this because of the high nutrition. Sometimes our Pongo only eats a cup and a half a day on this food, but when he was on iams he ate like 4 cups a day. Just remember a high quality food makes your dogs ESP= Eat less, Shed less, Poop less. Plus the nice shiny coat you will get a result is stunning smile.gif Let us know if you need any other help, we are all really nice on here! I learned a lot with my first huskylaugh.gif

Congratulations on your new boy - he's handsome! If you decide you like doing the packing with him, you might consider this: the Siberian Husky Club of America (SHCA) offers Working Pack Dog (WPD) and Working Pack Dog Excellent (WPDX) titles you and your dog can earn. You'll need to either have his AKC papers or register him with the AKC under an ILP (Indefinite Listing Privilege - see AKC.org if you need info on that) to get the title, but it isn't all that difficult, and can be a lot of fun! I had a dog some years ago earn it, and have miles toward it for another, but he's now old and infirm enough that I won't finish with him. sad.gif Still, we'd get together with other husky owners and walk, and have a good time.

In addition to an appropriate pack with appropriate items in it (covered at the site linked below), you'll have to walk on "natural trails" and will need a topographical map.

http://www.shca.org/shcahp6e.htm

Congratulations on your new boy - he's handsome! If you decide you like doing the packing with him, you might consider this: the Siberian Husky Club of America (SHCA) offers Working Pack Dog (WPD) and Working Pack Dog Excellent (WPDX) titles you and your dog can earn. You'll need to either have his AKC papers or register him with the AKC under an ILP (Indefinite Listing Privilege - see AKC.org if you need info on that) to get the title, but it isn't all that difficult, and can be a lot of fun! I had a dog some years ago earn it, and have miles toward it for another, but he's now old and infirm enough that I won't finish with him. sad.gif Still, we'd get together with other husky owners and walk, and have a good time.

In addition to an appropriate pack with appropriate items in it (covered at the site linked below), you'll have to walk on "natural trails" and will need a topographical map.

http://www.shca.org/shcahp6e.htm

Wow Gigi GREAT tip! Wonder if the UK sibe club does something like this!? That would be awsome to do, we loooove walks! :D

Thanks for all the info!! I've never seen Taste if Wild food here, but of course I go straight for the beneful out of habit :/ I will definitely look next time I go to the pet store! Is this something that my Shih Tzu can eat too?

Chemgrade-you are in the United States, so they would have Taste of the Wild at your local "Tractor Supply Store". www.tractorsupply.com is the link and you can search to see if there is one in your area. I am in Texas, and we have several tractor supply stores around us and we were able to pick up our first bag of it yesterday for our new pup.

PetSupermarket carries it too. And Petco carries Merrick, Wellness, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, and Blue dog food (Wilderness is best out of the Blue) which are all decent kibbles. I personally like Orijen and Acana best, but you have to find a small pet shop that sells it or order it online.

Wow Gigi GREAT tip! Wonder if the UK sibe club does something like this!? That would be awsome to do, we loooove walks! :D

Thanks, Sarah. Hope that they do, if not, join the club and see if you can help get a similar program started! Breed clubs are ALWAYS looking for new members who want to help, and in my experience, at least here in the US, are quite welcoming of people who don't show, especially if they're interested in working their Siberians!

Chemgrad08--- Taste of the Wild's web page is here: http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

If you go to the "Where to Buy" tab, you can enter your zip code to find a dealer near you. You're Shih Tzu should also be fine with the food.

Thanks for all the info!! I've never seen Taste if Wild food here, but of course I go straight for the beneful out of habit :/ I will definitely look next time I go to the pet store! Is this something that my Shih Tzu can eat too?

oh definitely! and it's an all life stages food so it works from puppy all the way through adulthood. no need to worry about senior and that. smile.gif I forgot to mention your husky is beautiful!

Congratulations!!!!

As others have said shaving is a very stupid idea....obviously the people you are getting him from have NFI your doing the Sib a service by taking him away from such silly people.

I live in Perth Aust and it is summer at the moment it reached 40 degrees Celcius the other day = 104 F .

Both my Sibs cope just fine in the hotter climate.

Good luck with everything :)