Question about Huskys and cats

Jpr

My first husky lived with our cat from the age of six. He couldn't have cared less that we'd gotten a cat. They were friends until the end (unless Kat showed an interest in Bo's food - then Kat was sternly disciplined by Bo - a low growl and a turn of the head).

My second husky, Ryn, finds great joy in chasing Kat. Teaching her to live with Kat has been difficult and ongoing, to say the least. For the most part, she understands that Kat is MINE not hers but she does have a hard time when Kat begins to run away.

I watch them constantly and have noticed that Kat will actually coerce Ryn into chasing him. Dumb kitty! At the same time, Ryn doesn't do much to Kat when she 'catches' him, places a paw on him, but no biting. They are learning that they must live together in peace or else Mum gets bent out of shape.

As of yet, I don't trust Ryn alone with Kat for any length of time, but we'll get there.

You have to know both the dog and the cat. Some huskies just can't handle living with 'prey' - others do ok. If you're unsure, don't chance it.

(Edit: FYI - Kat has his claws. If he didn't have a defense, I wouldn't even consider leaving them alone at all....)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic