Do Husky Dogs Howl and Bark a lot?

Machocopter

Huskies are well known for their howling and 'talking' (check out youtube for videos!), so yes they are quite vocal. If you're getting a puppy there's a high chance it will be VERY noisy when you put it into it's crate for bed - that's a big complaint for most husky pup owners. I've been really lucky, my pup doesn't make a peep when she goes to bed, not even the slightest sound, she just goes straight in and curls up. But any dog that does make a noise could potentially be trained to keep quiet. I wouldn't bet on it, they do love making noise! But it's not completely impossible. Your best bet would just be to regulate your dog's routine so that he/she is tired when you want it to be quiet, so take it out for a long walk/run late evening to tire it out so it's more settled at night.

every dog is different some dont stop others never make a noise my nukka is a very vocal girl my sakari hardly makes a noise this question can not be answerd with a genralisation the next persons dog being probs 100% diferent.

Huskies are the most stuborn dog in the world if your's wants to be vocal you can not train them to be any different I would seriously think about another breed if you are worried about noise a husky from pupp to adult will never be predictable.

Why do you want a husky ..befor getting one they are by no stretch of the imagination easy to maintain train or feed or exercise they will push you too the limits.

For the most part my two Huskies are very quiet.

Except when we come home, we might have been out for a couple of hours or a couple of minutes.

But you are greeted with howls and Woo Woo's as if you'd left them for days.

Daughtry will occasionally talk to you when you're eating.

But Darwin is almost silent

My German Shepherd Echo on the other hand.

Whinges and groans, and pleads all day long for you to throw the ball, throw the ball throw the ball, throw the ball throw the ball, throw the ball throw the ball, throw the ball throw the ball, throw the ball biggrin.gif

There is one thing for sure a husky will change your life when it comes into your home! When we first had Kodi he cried a lot for the first two months (they are prone to separation anxiety).

But he settled in and is part of the family, he does howl and woo woo and he barks as well, but for the most part he is quiet ie: at night. We all adore him and were prepared for whatever was to come when we decided to get him.

So I'm just thinking you might want to give it a lot of consideration as your Mum might not be prepared for all that comes with a husky addition to the family.

As others have said,they are all different.

my two aren't at all vocal....unless we ask them to be,even when we brought Shadow home,1 night of crying for about 15mins and that was about it.

,but then again she did have Marley and Jasper for company so maybe she didnt feel the anxiety some pups feel.

Mine are both are different ends of the noise scale.

Ice only ever gives us the odd grumble when its time for a walk even then i have to egg him on otherwise he's silent even as a young pup he was very quiet, Star on the other hand looks like she's going to be very vocal as she never shuts up barking/growling/howling, there's times when i think she's lost the plot, the first few nights in her crate were an absolute knightmare :)

Sarah barks when she's throwing a temper tantrum! It's hilarious. I take something away or tell her no, and she will plop her butt down and start giving me what for. I've tried to tell her I've already raised a teenage girl, nothing she's saying will change my mind, but she still does it.

Other than that, and woo-wooing when hubby and son come home, she doesn't bark much. Well, she sort-of barks in the crate when she has to go out at night, but that doesnt' count.

there is a thread with a video on somewhere of the oxford cutteslowe meet where all the dogs are quiet and then 'sparks' dog yogi decides to howl and woo and got a few of the other dogs going...

also im not sure if valkyries has posted any videos but her girl loki never shuts up!!!!! she is a very vocal girl, we loe it because we are husky owners but a lot of other people...friends relatives, neighbours etc hate the noise.

i can get my husky daughtry to howl sometimes and get her into a conversation,

my boy darwin will woo a lot and bark for attention.......although when he has a tantrum you cant shut him up and he likes to howl at alarm clocks

if you want a quiet dog then a husky is not for you

Thank`s Kell, yes Loki is very vocal and give`s our two boys some ear bashing but only gets vocal when playing or she want`s something, while Odin is just quiet unless he is playing with Loki, Thor is very quiet but if he want`s to go out he will come to me then leave the room and if I don`t respond he come`s and howls at me, so on the whole not a problem with our three.:D

I've noticed you keep thanking us for the help however when we tell you the truth that a husky isn't suitable for you, you ignore us? No matter how much info you learn it's not gonna make you suitable. Your lifestyle isn't husky lifestyle more cat or rabbit lifestyle. So take our advice and choose something else that's better for you so we don't see this husky you buy being rehomed because you couldn't take care of it properly and I doubt if you went to a breeder and told them how you wanted to keep this puppy they wouldn't let you have one unless it was a byb their just after the £££ but you'd have one very lonely,unhappy destructive husky and you'd have to live with that guilt. So take our advice that this breed just isn't for you. Their not for everyone and unfortunately for you, their not

@shadowandnittikas I am taking in the truth , I do however think I am suitable for a husky. I say thank you because 1. Its polite and 2. I am saying thank you for the information and I am building up this information.

Please do not question why I keep saying thank you , I am building up information and know what I am going to do. I am still at the point of wondering weather I should buy one.

I have this all written down , key things. I have a large back garden with tall 2 m fencing. I have a lot of space and do have time for a dog. Yes it might howl I understand , but it may not. I have found a suitable dog food and have also found out where to buy a husky (not over this forum) what it needs , how long it needs to be walked ect! That is what I am thanking. I mostly

joined this forum because I wanted peoples views on having a husky. I think I have found success! biggrin.gif

And if I do buy a husky then I will care for it the best I can because I care for animals very much!

Its a big decision financially so I am taking my time and if I do get a husky I will keep going on this forum , not for me but to help new people who do not have that much experience and do need some help

Thanks rolleyes.gif

Huskies are well known for their howling and 'talking' (check out youtube for videos!)' date=' so yes they are quite vocal. If you're getting a puppy there's a high chance it will be VERY noisy when you put it into it's crate for bed - that's a big complaint for most husky pup owners. I've been really lucky, my pup doesn't make a peep when she goes to bed, not even the slightest sound, she just goes straight in and curls up. But any dog that does make a noise could [i']potentially be trained to keep quiet. I wouldn't bet on it, they do love making noise! But it's not completely impossible. Your best bet would just be to regulate your dog's routine so that he/she is tired when you want it to be quiet, so take it out for a long walk/run late evening to tire it out so it's more settled at night.

My pups are angels when they go to bed too! They never make a peep! Kiska is such a good girl :D