Harness only vs Harness+Collar

elenamarie

My male Cesar only wears a harness, which has his ID tags on it at all times. He hates a collar, and will purposely catch it on things to try to get it off. Rather than have him choke himself while I'm not home, I've just discarded the collar. He doesn't wear anything when he's in my house, but walks and any outings he has his collar. My girl Zoey wears a collar only until her teats recede (she had a litter of pups October 26th) and then she will wear her harness as well. I personally really like the way they look without a collar, so once my pups are full grown, they'll have harnesses too :D

We have a collar on Lyra during the day, which has her ID tags. We take her collar off at night while she's in her crate. We only use our harness when we're out and about on walks. She actually doesn't like getting the harness put on for some reason. :)

Your dog should get used to a collar if given time and positive reinforcement. You could give a treat every time you put the collar on, or something like that.

Some people also double up because they might have a leash attached to a halti or slip collar or something like that, and maybe the harness is only used with a second leash if the dog is walking well.

Glala and Dana only have a harness when outside and nothing when inside. It would've been afraid they would get caught behind something with a collar inside. And knowing Glala, I'm really sure she would hate it and would try to do anything to get it off. Both are chipped and Glala has an "I'm have a micro chip!" label on her harness just in case.

In the UK it is law your dog MUST wear a collar with Name and phone number ID tag.

Also if you think your Husky might "step out" of their harnes

a police training lead attached at both harness and collar will ensure you don't lose them. biggrin.gif

Skyla whilst walking has 2 collars on - her 1 which holds her tags - and her semi-slip collar for walking on (she wears a semo-slip because she can slip a flat collar)

Bingo just wears the 1 collar which holds his tags AND he walks on that 1 as he doesnt attempt to escape

Blaze wears his collar that holds his tags, his harness AND another collar when out on walks because he likes to try and escape

but after walks the only thing left on them is their collars that have their tags on

Glala and Dana only have a harness when outside and nothing when inside. It would've been afraid they would get caught behind something with a collar inside. And knowing Glala, I'm really sure she would hate it and would try to do anything to get it off. Both are chipped and Glala has an "I'm have a micro chip!" label on her harness just in case.

I'm scared of mine getting their collar caught too!

I'm scared of mine getting their collar caught too!

I've seen it happening with my cats. They where playing together and suddenly Semafoor had it teeth stuck in his band. He was pawing at his mouth unable to get it off and was obvious in panic mode. This happened a few days after we got back from holiday. What would've happened when we didn't saw it happening? Since then we got them chipped and removed it from his neck. Now, dogs aren't like cats of course, but I can still imagine it poses some kind of danger to them in some situations.

I've seen it happening with my cats. They where playing together and suddenly Semafoor had it teeth stuck in his band. He was pawing at his mouth unable to get it off and was obvious in panic mode. This happened a few days after we got back from holiday. What would've happened when we didn't saw it happening? Since then we got them chipped and removed it from his neck. Now, dogs aren't like cats of course, but I can still imagine it poses some kind of danger to them in some situations.

My boy doesn't like collars at all, so he would intentionally hook it onto things to try and pull it off. The last time he did that, he got stuck and was choking himself in a panic. After that, no collars or harnesses when inside the house!

I have collars with their ID on which they wear at all times, I'd be more worried about them somehow getting out of the house with no ID on than them getting the collar caught on something. Then they have walking harnesses for when we got out as I walk them on a walking belt so they pull me along and obey normal sled dog commands! I'm hoping to get them hooked to a scooter soon! :D

Echo has a harness and collar. Collar for at home - has her ID and vaccine tags on it.

When we go out or are going on a long walk, we put a harness on her, otherwise, we

just use the collar. :) She enjoys chewing through harnesses, so we have to put it

on and take it off, so it is a bit of a pain :P

Kiska has a collar on at all times which has her ID tag on it. I attach her lead to this when I'm taking her into the garden to pee, but when she goes out for walks although she still wears her collar she also puts a harness on and this is what her lead is attached to.

At home its collar usually, sometimes nothing. In the backyard its only collar. On walks/swims its both collar and harness. Harness is there for her to pull and theres a carabiner attached from the harness's D ring to collars D ring incase the harness snaps. When she is tethered outside (I'm with her just doing something closeby) I use a 6m chain with two clipons one for each D ring.

Yes, I am very paraniod as everywhere I take her has busy roads.