Those with multiple dogs; Can you feed them together?

HuskyCouture

I was curious. I know a lot of dogs tend to have food agression when it comes to being around other dogs.

The first week we had Zoey, Embry was grumpy so Zoey was fed in her crate and Embry in the kitchen, now they're both fed in the kitchen next to each other, we haven't had any issues. Sometimes though, little Miss Sassy Zoey goes to eat Embrys when he walks away to get a drink :P But I always stay around until they're done, just in case.

Do you feed all your dogs together? Or separate, different rooms? kennels?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed all mine together I watch them in case but as of yet no fights with any of them gus are malamute will wait until everyone finished there dinner and then go eat there if he gets a chance lol. The only time I seperate them is I take ice the pack leader away when I give them raw or tuna and paste because he will take the food of them lol poor guys so now he eats his in his crate x

I feed them separately just because Elara always thinks she's starving and Siku has been picky with her food lately. So I know Elara would steal Siku's food. I have put Siku's unfinished dish out for both to pick at and they actually both ate out of it at the same time without putting up a fuss. BTW, they were both totally ignoring it until my cat walked up and started eating it. Then they were very interested in the food and had to eat it themselves.

My mom has a lot of dogs. She feeds most of them together, but there are a few she has to crate cause they either eat too slow or too fast and will steal other's food. Just depends on the dogs.

George & Jersey are fed in the kitchen & Maia in the living room. Maia is fed seperately as when she first came to us she ate crazy fast like she didn't know she would be fed again :( she is now a steady eater but still doesn't like George or Jersey near her food. Although she doesn't think twice about trying to take George's, he's a very slow eater :P

Odin always eats with me in my office, no he's not spoilt but he wont touch his food till some thing off my plate as gone into his bowl lol

hahahaha dont know any dogs like that crazy.gif.

mine dont show any aggression with food, although suki eats faster and then tries to eat michas.

micha was becoming a little agressive when we gave her a treat and another dog came over, so i fed all the other dogs with treats first then her. she got the message very quickly.

Blaze and Skyla can be fed together - we feed Bingo upstairs tho otherwise Skyla would steal his food

Blaze wont let Skyla near his food n she knows it would be stupid to even attempt to take it off him - all he has to do is look at her n she will sit down n submit lol - but she will just push Bings out the way because Bings wont stick up for himself with her

Zoey and Cesar have always eaten side by side. Cesar recognizes Zoey as being "above" him in their little pack, so if she tries to eat his food, he just lets her. So I sit on the floor in between the two of them while they eat, to keep her from trying to take his food. It's also helpful for me to sit beside them, because if they start gobbling it too fast I take the bowl away and feed them handfuls to slow them down. Kyrian and Blaze are fed in separate crates because they're still in puppy litter concept of one big bowl of food for everyone to share, so they'll both eat out of one bowl, then move on to the other bowl. In their separate crates, they're learning that one bowl of food and one bowl of water are theirs and they don't have to share. Once they learn to only touch their own bowl, they can eat in the kitchen with their parents :D

We feed them together. But they have access to food throughout the whole day anyway so there is not much competition going on there. Both sometimes show a bit of food possession, and sometimes they eat just find out of the bowl at the same time. There is an additional bowl with food in the other side of the house just in case, but they rarely use it.

I think both my boys had to fight for what they got before they came to me. Alone, Andy would graze all day, and some days not eat at all. Once Jackson came, he ate so fast (there's video posted on you tube) that Andy had barely started. From previous experiences with other dogs, we just decided to feed them in separate rooms (actually just opposite ends of the kitchen), but at the same time. Jackson watches every move from opening the closet door to putting food down in the bowl. Andy always gets his first and Jackson seems to respect that. I think it will always be this way, as they have taken to their spots as their safe spots. When we leave, they both get a peanut butter bone, each in a separate corner and I've yet to come home to blood splatter, so I'm guessing they respect each other, until one walks away. Then, Jackson will snatch away anything.

we only got Indi afew days after xmas but he doesnt seem comfortable eating around Logan. He takes his time to eat things and sometimes will hide it to have later, if Logan goes near it he snarls and gets really vocal at him. Think i should let it happen a couple of times so Logan learns to leave his food alone?

I would pick Indi's food up when he stops eating, and only feed him an amount he'll eat at a given meal. If he snarls and growls, I would let him know it wasn't acceptable, but I would also discourage Logan from trying to steal it! This way, they each know that you are in charge, and that they need to eat it when it's offered if they're hungry, and that they don't need to hoard or defend it from the other dog - gives less reason for a fight, as Indi grows up!

Most of mine eat in the kennel, and where there are two dogs to a kennel, each has their own spot to eat. They know I will make sure that they get their share, and they also know I don't approve of it when they try to take their kennel-mate's food - they get in trouble for it, and don't like having me reprimand them - verbal is enough. Shad generally gets fed in the house - he's special, and knows it, lol! rolleyes.gif

At one point, I had 6 dogs (who didn't want to eat my cats) in the house at once, and fed them all in the kitchen at one time, each in a separate spot. I was always there to keep an eye out and make sure no stealing or arguments came up. They knew the order they got fed, and that they'd get their food, so waited more or less patiently! rolleyes.gif

Not a chance. I can treat together, they can share a water bowl & walk in & out of their crates together but when it comes to a bowl of food storm turns into a different dog :(

defo issues from his previous life before Shwa

he also gets very edgy before feeding & can't settle. I know when he's hungry cos he paces. I wonder whether he's previously been starving or had his food stolen by another dog