Those with multiple dogs; Can you feed them together?

HuskyCouture

Not a chance. I can treat together, they can share a water bowl & walk in & out of their crates together but when it comes to a bowl of food storm turns into a different dog :(

defo issues from his previous life before Shwa

he also gets very edgy before feeding & can't settle. I know when he's hungry cos he paces. I wonder whether he's previously been starving or had his food stolen by another dog

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine can be fed together (with me stood in the middle to check theres no stealing) but I feed them in their crates as 1 it means I can walk away and do whatever and 2 it re-inforces that the crate is a happy place of niceness! :) Nukka is usually the one that will steal if theres a chance and when I first got Shadow he would INHALE his food but now he realises that mum sees all and will not tollerate naughty sister trying to steal his food hes slowed down abit and actually tastes his food now! :D

I feed all of mine separate just to be safe as some of my dogs don't like other dogs around their food. The sled dogs are on chains anyways in the dog yard. When I feed the pet dogs I put one dog into the kitchen with their food and I will stand in the doorway between the kitchen and the dining room to keep the other dogs out. When that dog is done, I let it out of the kitchen and I let the next dog in and so on and so forth. :)

Mine have a different corner in the same room and they know where it is occasionaly they will swap which is ok but they know to leave each other alone if one makes even a move in the direction of the other bowl they get a very stern OI an they dart back to theirs lol

I do no tollerate food domination as far as it goes I am in charge of the food not them and they will only have what i permit them and not what they want I am the Alpha they are equals lol

Willow that sounds like a long ass way round to doing it lol but f it works then why not :)

The boys I can feed next to each other, facing each other, whatever. They each get their own bowl and stick to it. OC would love to steal from Ronan but I have taught him not to. Neither boy is possessive to the other. I switch up where they are fed and what bowl they are fed with because we do a lot of traveling so they have to be used to change. More often then not though I feed each one in his doghouse. I don't monitor them I just put the bowls down (wherever that might happen to be) and leave.

With Vix, she hasn't been taught yet about meal feedings and to clean her dish as soon as it gets placed. With growing pups I don't portion food, I free-feed throughout the day. I have started introducing the concept that food isn't always around though and soon how often it is offered will be limited as well. Eventually she will be meal-fed twice a day just like the boys.