Husky Vs. german shepherd

I've owned a male German shepherd for about 2 years, now since he was 8 weeks old.. It's been the best dog ever, just yesterday, we decided to add a second dog, a husky .

I've done the basic research on the dog, from what I've read, they are similar accept make poor watch dogs, as they are friendly to strangers, and in some opinions, some feel they need MORE attention then a shepherd...

Is there anything else I'm in for ? anything else I need to know ? I've read the basics, and understand it is a high energy dog ( hence the reason I picked it )

I suggest perusing the forum before picking out a pup. We have a lot of experts here, all willing to share what we know (much of it through personal experience). Huskies are not the dog for everyone though their beauty attracts many.

Your question is quite broad for any to answer simply. They like to run, that's what they have been bred to do and it is a part of who they are. Exercise, exercise, exercise is the name of th game when you have a husky in the family. They shed, snowstorm style, a minimum of twice a year. I mean fur everywhere - on your clothes, in your dinner and in your coffee - EVERYWHERE. The are quite vocal, not usually through barking, but through a series of 'woos' and 'rrrrooos' ; They like people. All people. A husky seldom finds a human that they don't like.

Ask us anything - we all share what we know!

Huskies are great dogs, as long as you're educated about the breed and know about their bad habits. My first husky, Whicket, had a best friend in our neighbours German Shepherd, they were totally in love. A major difference between them is that a husky will be more difficult to train than your German Shepherd, as they are very stubborn and strong willed. And they can't be let off leash like a German Shepherd.

Interesting, the only thing I didn't know is that they will run away, I guess I'm so used to the shepherd I just took for granted that they will stay by you unleashed. ..

Also, the pup met the adult shepherd, and they are doing great together, they fell asleep with the puppy laying on top the shepherd, both snoozing .. .lol

As you can see from my Signature I have both.

Yes you can let the Shepherd off lead, Our Echo loves nothing better than non stop ball launching. biggrin.gif

The Huskies though have a very high prey drive and will chase anything from

other dogs, cats, squirrels, birds, plastic bags, crisp packets, leaves blowing in the wind. ohmy.gif

If they are off lead and something grabs their attention, they will be gone and except in the most rare cases

WILL NOT RESPOND to recall.

The only time IMHO you can let your Husky off lead is in a secure fenced area.

There have been plenty of posts on this subject both for and against.

Have a trawl and have a good read.biggrin.gif

ive not read the replies so sorry if i repeat anything already been said

they will dig

chew

escape

cant be offlead

the SHED ALOT twice a year (the blow their whole undercoat out)

they are strong willed and not the easiest to train

give them a chance to run away - they WILL take it

they pull - but you can train them not too - with time , treats and patience

they are VERY clean - only really need a wash if they get REALLY flithy - n even then sometimes if u leave them over night you will wake up to a clean husky - strange but true

but they do make FANTASTIC companions are very loving - even if they do love EVERYBODY and once youve lived with a sibe you pretty much wont want any other breed (i say this but our next dog is going to be a samoyed lol)

also welcome to the pack - lots of pics of your GSD and your sibe please :D

They are not the loyal sit by your side and live for your love kind of dogs. They do their own thing and only come to you when they want lovies. The are, in that respect, a lot like cats :D Very independent. That, coupled with their high predatory drive makes them terrible off-lead. Recall should be taught (as with any dog- regardless of breed) but it's highly advised to not let your Sibe off lead unless it's a secure fenced in area OR you don't mind spending hours and hours chasing and hunting down your escapee dog.

They should grow to be good play mates as Huskies have a very rough play style to which GSDs can match :)

I'll post some pics when I get home from work..

I'll have to finish fencing in my yard, there is a corner that is open to the alley, it's never been a problem for the Shepherd as he know's where our yard ends and never leaves .. .

I'll assume our Huskey (dakota) will dart right for the opening and never look back ..

Welcome and congrats on the new pup... all of the above is true plus they can have quite sensative stomachs so usually require grain free hypoalergenic kibble or better yet a raw diet, check out the food and diet section for more info on this. The also eat less than other breeds so go with the lowest estimate on the back of the food bag and go from there. :) Most of them are toy destroyers too.. that high prey drive of theres often takes it out on the toys so the tough the better where huskies are concerned! oh and Pictures please! :D

everyone on here has made some great comments about both breeds. i have both and find them vastly different from each other. please don't ever let your husky off lead as they will run away. i think everyone has pretty much nailed the differences between the two but in the end it comes down to the individual dog too. my Smokey (husky) has been very easy to train to do tricks, granted he doesn't always listen while Zeeva (gsd) has been a bit of a challenge (she's still a pup though). anyway if you have ANY questions, continue to ask and do research. huskies are sometimes a bit of a tough breed for some to handle and i'm glad you're asking questions and doing research! :)

Thanks, yeah the GSD gets tons of exercise ( mostly jogging , and playing in the partially fenced yard ) and is a perfect dog. I'm looking forward to the husky .

everyone on here has made some great comments about both breeds. i have both and find them vastly different from each other. please don't ever let your husky off lead as they will run away. i think everyone has pretty much nailed the differences between the two but in the end it comes down to the individual dog too. my Smokey (husky) has been very easy to train to do tricks, granted he doesn't always listen while Zeeva (gsd) has been a bit of a challenge (she's still a pup though). anyway if you have ANY questions, continue to ask and do research. huskies are sometimes a bit of a tough breed for some to handle and i'm glad you're asking questions and doing research! :)

Awwww, Apollo is a handsome guy, and Dakota is gorgeous! Sounds like you're off to a good start, just be as consistent as you can be, and try to work on any behaviors you want asap, so they don't snowball on you! With Apollo well trained and behaved, it may be easier to get Dakota where you want her. Best wishes! rolleyes.gif

everyone gave great advice! your dogs are so beautiful!! imo huskies are the biggest babies! my dog thinks he's a lap dog! puppy classes should help with obedience and they get tired of these classes very fast lol. never shave your husky as their hair doesn't grow back quite right and it's actually worse in the warm months for them to not have it.

also make sure you have a secure collar or harness even. huskies can be great escape artists and we've had ours slip his collar a few times. lots of people use semi-slip collars when they're older and use harnesses when they're young. my favorite harness is the ezydog harness and I think a lot of people here will agree. also as your pup grows you may want to look at the ezydog collars as well. this is the only collar Pongo has not broken... lol

crate training is also a good idea because these dogs can get into everything while your gone. my dog loves his cage and considers it home and likes to eat his food in there better than when it's not in there. it keeps him and my cats safe while we're not home. also if you have any cats or small animals watch out because these dogs think they're snacks.

anyway, welcome to the forums and ask away! everyone here is so helpful and nice, i'm sure you'll enjoy it smile.gif

Personally I would have a done a lot more than basic research before getting a new breed but that's just me - I am totally obsessive when it comes to those sorts of things!

I wouldn't say Siberians are similar to GSDs. Sibes a spitz breeds so they have your typical spitz traits - independent, stubborn, strong willed. They aren't as naturally biddable as some breeds so will take more work training wise in some instances.