car travel

husky princess

i know its been discussed before whether people use the boot/trunk, seat belt harness or a crate etc but what i wondered is if you just use the boot/trunk of the car and you have more than 1 sibe - how do you keep them in the boot, while you open the door, hook them onto lead etc?? when both (or more) are super eager to get out for their walk

Just wondered if its a problem or you have learnt a 'knack' of doing it correctly??

When Embry and Zoey are put in the boot I leave their harnesses and leashes on, and usually when we're going somewhere both me and my boyfriend are in the car so when we go to let them out, they obviously try to both run out we both take a side, open the door quickly and grab whichever one is closest. :lol: It's quite the event.

My 2 travel on the back seat and when they come to get out are usually well behaved and wait ( i only have a 3 door car) for the seat to be moved forward- up until recently Kia has started jumping on to the front passenger seat and going out the door but we're ready for that and always have their leads ready. im reluctant to get get a new car as they would go in the boot if i did and id wonder how id get them out as i know kia would bolt and knowing our luck shed end up running into a car- shes terrified of them but runs towards them!

It's just made me think. I have a tailgate guard with 1 door (bought 2nd hand but had I bought new I would have had 2 smaller doors. I've done some great training at home & they've responded well but I'm struggling training them to wait in the car while I'm getting leads in & trying to keep them in etc. It's difficult & anyone watching, god knows what they think!! - well thunder screams like he's being murdered

I'm tempted to see if I can get the tail gate altered & at what price to make life easier other than that the inky other thought of mine was to get some cheap metal leads just for the car so I had something to grab.

Storm never chews at home but he's a sod for chewing his lead!

My three travel in the boot of my estate.

We keep the leads on and the leads are connected together. . .. mine have never chewed leads.

getting them out. . . .

open boot lid approx 6" grope around until you grab a lead, open boot

Job done. biggrin.gif

If there is only Steve & I in the car, we fold down the back seats so the dogs (or rather Diesel) can have more room & stretch out. When we come to getting them out, they only have their harnesses on, we open the boot an inch then tell them to wait. If they are making a move toward the open boot, we don't open it any more until they stop & wait, then we can open it & hold their harness till we clip their extendible leads on & off we go.

Before i got the cage in the van i used 2 use my mums car. The seats would be down or not n i would get them in n out of the door cos they cant get past u then.

Now when i get them out 4 a walk i have to bang the cage door shut a few times to get them back whilst firmly sayin BACK, works 4 Scooby n Nanook NOT 4 pup he is just so strong so he is 1st, hook him up n then throw him in the front seat, he then tries to get in2 the back when im hookin up the other 2 little bugger :rolleyes: