Muzzled!

princessmom

I took Milla in for her nail trim today. First she started screaming and causing a ruckus, so I yelled to her to be quiet and didn't hear anything more. Turns out they had had to muzzle her to get the claws clipped! I'm so embarrassed! The technician said lots of huskies don't like being held closely, which is what she was objecting to more than the clip. She's not a very cuddly dog and she's pretty mouthy, but I never expected her to need muzzling.

Help! Other than playing with her feet (which I had been doing), are there other things I can do to make her more cooperative with the nail trim? I had just taken her to the dog park for an hour to wear her out before hand, hoping a tired puppy would equal a good puppy. Maybe she was too tired?

Bo used to hate having his nails clipped, to the point the vet sedated him once. It was awful the way he would scream like a banshee! My vet never suggested muzzling, but did question if I was doing the right thing as I buried Bo's head in my neck. "won't he bite you?" vet asked. "Never!"

From then on, Bo would nuzzle my neck and vet would trim away without further problems. I always got a chuckle that he was concerned my boy would bite me! Perhaps the vet, but never me!

I played with Bo's feet, mouth and ears from puppyhood on. He still disliked the nail trims, though I fear it was from a past vet who trimmed them too short.

Rynnie, on the other hand, could care less and I've also played with her feet, mouth and ears from the day I picked her up.

when both my 2 need there nails clipping which is not very often I have to muzzle them so dont be too down hearted about it . It has now become a game when they see the muzzle!! because they know whats coming. I never hurt them I think they just like proving how awkward they can be for me!! lol wants they are all done they come and lick me to death! which I take it as ther thankyou .:D :D

Why were you outside the room? If it were me I'd think mum leaving the room might make her freak out more, I'd ask to stay with her and hold her next time she needs it done that way you can reassure her with your presents and hold her if nessesary.

I think alot of paws being touched stuff is alot to do with personality tho, my girl who Iv had from 8 weeks and constantly touched and taught to give paw and everything HATES giving me her feet to be cleaned and will actually run and hide when she sees the towels come out but shes NOT a cuddle bum at all! Where as my boy who is much more laid back and cuddley but who Iv only actually owned about 8 months will sit there and let me do anything to him! Hes SUCH an attention hore! LOL

Having worked as a vet tech/assistant - many dogs HATE having their nails trimmed and many times a vet will muzzle them for the safety of all. It's difficult holding a foot still enough to make sure you don't cut the quick, keep the other 3 feet from raking anyone, and pay attention to the mouth, too. There are enough dogs that WILL bite, and sometimes when you don't know a dog well, it's hard to tell if they're serious or bluffing. Often, a dog will be more difficult with it's owner present, and won't fight as much if they're out of the room, so many vets will ask them to step out for a minute.

I've done a lot of nail trims and most dogs won't put up with it at all. Groomers and bathing salons are the best place to get them cut as they do it all the time and generally have less of a problem than the vets. In the 3 years i've been at my job i've only had to seriously muzzle 2 dogs. (None of which were Huskies lol)

My dogs don't care, I tell them to lie down and I clip. But i've been doing it since day 1 so i'm sure that has a lot to do with it laugh.gif

Thanks for the reassurances, everyone. The vet tech usually shows us into an exam room then brings the dog into the back for the trim while I wait. You couldn't help but hear the screaming: she's quite the drama queen.

I'm thinking maybe she was already on edge because the last time she was back there, it was for her spay. She was quite eager to be in the vet's lobby (great treats!) but once we started back to the exam rooms she tried to pull the other way, then hid under the chair and tried to resist Dodi bringing her out of the room. Could she remember and be afraid from six weeks ago?

I second taking her to a groomer (that you know has a good rep from people you know) rather than the vet. I don't know how it is for you but here the groomer's is way cheaper and do a better job too.

At work the only dogs we need to muzzle for their nail trim and dremel are the ones who need to be muzzled for most or all of the groom anyways. And we get some pretty spazzy drama queens but really its just all in how you handle them. We have a Lab that comes in (super sweet girl) who would FLIP OUT for nail trims. Before she came to us her owner took her to Petsmart and they needed 4 people to hold her down and get her nails done. When she came to us my boss worked hard with her and now she stands perfectly still on the table offering us her paw even.

What about even getting the vet to show you how to clip their nails and just do it yourself?

We first thought we were hurting our Stormy girl when she squealed while trying to do nails. Then we realized she also hated having her feet wiped. Now my two boys couldn't be more different. Jackson couldn't care less, but Andy starts to back out and squeal when he sees a towel. After some of the horror stories about groomers on here, we will not take them anywhere to get their nails done. We bought the groomer dremel (or use the regular dremel tool) and one of us holds the dog's head while the other is doing the trim. If the dog cooperates, it goes fast. The secret to getting done is peanut butter or small soft treats. I fill a bone or the palm of my hand with smashed treats or peanut butter and make a fist and let them try to lick it out while Jeff does the nails. It works like a charm for anything that needs to be done that they don't like. I have read that not having feet touched is sometimes a Husky thing. My boys both being rescues, we aren't sure what anyone has done to them previously...so we've worked on touching their feet since we first got them, but still, Andy doesn't like it. Same with ear cleaning...which can sometimes be a nightmare, but often is not necessary unless they are stinky!

I'm thinking maybe she was already on edge because the last time she was back there' date=' it was for her spay. She was quite eager to be in the vet's lobby (great treats!) but once we started back to the exam rooms she tried to pull the other way, then hid under the chair and tried to resist Dodi bringing her out of the room. Could she remember and be afraid from six weeks ago?[/quote']

You might want to start visiting the vets office with Milla, for no veterinary purpose - just a visit. I often take my pup Ryn when I stop in with the cat or to drop off a payment or just to stop in and say hello.

If at first those in the office look a little surprised that you would just come to visit, bring the humans a treat (sodas for all or a plate of cookies). Not only will you and Milla become friends to all at the clinic, but it gives her a positive experience at the office without having to be there for treatments only.

I always did this with my old man and continue it today with my pup, Ryn. She LOVES to visit the vet's office. Little does she know that I'm preparing her for her scheduled spay on Jan. 18.

we have never had rogues done as there ok.But i have just noticed her dew claws are looking quite long are we supposed to get them clipped.:blink:

I would say yes. They can get caught while playing or even just walking through high grass and she could end up with quite an injury. Another thing is they can actually grow back into the leg and cause injury in that respect as well.

We offer nail clippings at my work (dog daycare) and the dogs HATE it. Its deff. not just a husky thing! Hahaha.

I had a dog come in two weeks ago, whose nails were literally three inches long and curled, and it took me a good 30 minutes to finish. (We use a dremel, it takes longer then clippers) This dog loved the attention, and clearly he had no prior nail care. (or at least any care for quite some time) He just laid on his back and let me hack away!

Then we have the two lab girls who come in once every two weeks to get their nails done, and its a NIGHTMARE! Two of the boys have to hold them down while I clip, and its screaming and fighting the entire time!

My moral of the story, some dogs just hate it. Your dog throwing a fit about getting its nails done doesn't make you look like a bad owner whatsoever. Don't feel bad.