New from South Dakota

TimSchreier

My wife and I just adopted a puppy. She's 50% husky, 1/4 German shepherd, and 1/4 beagle. Mom was the husky and dad was the german/beagle mix. We got her just this last saturday at 8 weekds old. She sure is a pill. Right now working on potty training her, leash work, sit, crate training, and recall. She is starting to get use to her crate and can sit and hasnt made a mess in her crate for a few days and no accidents inside the house for a few days either so thats good. Couldnt get her to eat all day yesturday and did some research on what to do and someone sugested to add a little bit of water to her food. Did that this morning and it worked like a charm. We are feeding her Iams puppy chow large breed. Hope its a good food, that what the breeders were feeding her and her litter. One thing I found out about her is she loves the snow. When we go out for potty and a small walk, she loves to jump into the snow and run, then she will drop to her belly and slide for about a good foot. Dont know where she picked that up from. She also loves to stick her head into the snow. So far she has more husky characteristics then German shepherd. Except for her ears. They are floppy like a beagle. She has 2 bright blue eyes. All four paws are white and her tail being a black/grey with just the tip white.

Anyways. I live in South Dakota. I'm a Cable TV field technician. My wife Jackie is a pharmacy tech. Been married for about 5 months but been together for 6/7 years. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and was stationed in 29 Palms, CA from 2000-2004.

2011-01-04_17-20-47_71.jpg

2011-01-04_11-48-50_411.jpg

2011-01-04_11-47-35_35.jpg

Welcome Tim and congrats on both pup and The marriage - Whats the pups name? 1st off - Thank you for your service!!!

The puppy chow is fine - as nancy said - there are a lot of other feeding styles that will be mentioned, but whatever you do, just be consistent with

it or she'll get the runs.

the ears will probly stand eventually as that is typical in shepards -

Beutiful pup- try not to push too hard on the training at this age- keep it a game/fun and dont push past her attention span and

she'll do fine.

BTW- what part of south Dakota? I have a friend in S.F

at that age you can feed 3 times a day- then about 3-4 mos 2- as an adult you can feed either 1 or 2 times a day

Awesome. Thanks for the tips with the food. She just had her first Vet check up with us (she got her first set of shots at 4 weeks). We are going to do the rest except the rabies of course. He took a look at her and said "Sorry, but she is just perfect." So that made us really happy that she is very healthy.

And sadly enough I messed up and didnt watch her and she went potty in the kitchen. "BAD TIM BAD". But that was the first time in like 3 days so I'm proud of her.

Welcome Tim and congrats on both pup and The marriage - Whats the pups name? 1st off - Thank you for your service!!!

The puppy chow is fine - as nancy said - there are a lot of other feeding styles that will be mentioned, but whatever you do, just be consistent with

it or she'll get the runs.

the ears will probly stand eventually as that is typical in shepards -

Beutiful pup- try not to push too hard on the training at this age- keep it a game/fun and dont push past her attention span and

she'll do fine.

BTW- what part of south Dakota? I have a friend in S.F

at that age you can feed 3 times a day- then about 3-4 mos 2- as an adult you can feed either 1 or 2 times a day

Yup. We live in S.F. Too.

welcome to the pack shes such a gorgeous puppy!

i wouldnt be walking her just yet tho - i would wait till shes had all her vaccs

I asked the vet about this and he told us if we do walk her, just keep her in our area, like around the block and keep her away from other dogs and if we see any poop or anything to keep her away from that. Other then that he said there really isnt anything to worry about. Its tough to get her to go pee and poop in one spot. We got a lot of snow on the ground and well when she steps one paw in it, she goes nuts. She just loves it.

What a cute pup. Sounds like she's catching on quick. Welcome to the Pack. Enjoy the pup.