Which Kibble?

RachandLiam

Hi we're currently feeding Purina Pro Plan Puppy to our 11 week old boy Kaiser, After a bit of confused research on the interweb due to many conflicting views on bad/ good/ tbest / worst feed, We're not sure if this is the best. Ive read quite rambing (and angry) views on brands like Purina and Iams ect, mentionng that because the original owner of these brands are giants such as 'Nestle', and 'Mars' to name a couple that it is a greed fuelled industry and therefore the manufacturers can be puuting in alsorts of c*$p into the food to 'bulk' it up and this can be damaging to the doggy.

We have been combining kibble with some raw, including bones and chicken necks as advised by the breeder, but kibble seems alot easier and less messy and Kaiser actually seems to prefer it.

Can anybody please shed some light on this as husky owners?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!!

Rachael and Liam and Kaiser xx

I feed Kodah on "Wainwrights" - its actually Pets at Home own brand and is £33 for 15kg. The ingredients are basically the same as James Wellbeloved and its around £9 a bag cheaper. When I researched it I couldn't find anything bad about it.

Kodah was originally on IAMS but his poos were always soft, Wainwrights has been much better for this.

I feed my pup on purina puppy and although a lot say its rubbish she is quite happy on it so am not going to change it.

i mix it with bit of cooked chicken or sardines in oil.

if you are giving raw too.dont feed it with the kibble...it digests at different rates,feed it as a separate meal

Yeah the rants about the big companies are quite right and the adertives are bad for most dogs but especially bad for huskies as most have quite sensetive stomachs and are intollerant of wheats and grains. So its best to look for grain free or hypoallergenic kibbles.. I personally feed raw but Iv heard taste of the wild is a very good kibble, in fact I dont think Iv ever heard a bad word about it!

Alternatively if you wanted to feed a sort of raw but still complete diet there are frozen foods you can get such as natures menu nuggets, you just defrost what you need for that meal and serve as it is.. quite easy and clean. :)

Thank you so much for your help! Going to have a look at Wainwrights and 'Natures menu nuggets' now! We did try the minced raw but it does sorta look like theres been a murder in the kitchen each time we feed. Not that I'd mind at alll but Kais doesnt seem so keen either.. Its very difficult when trying to find the true truth about anything on the internet...very frustrating, Joined on here this morning to get some help from those experienced, and hopefully in time give help myself! MANY THANKS GUYS xx

Thank you so much for your help! Going to have a look at Wainwrights and 'Natures menu nuggets' now! We did try the minced raw but it does sorta look like theres been a murder in the kitchen each time we feed. Not that I'd mind at alll but Kais doesnt seem so keen either.. Its very difficult when trying to find the true truth about anything on the internet...very frustrating, Joined on here this morning to get some help from those experienced, and hopefully in time give help myself! MANY THANKS GUYS xx

if you do change food,make sure you do it over a few days,not all at once as this could upset her tummy

After some more research I think we're going to go with 'Taste of the Wild' - This is the info:

Continuation of Product Description:

It is made in USA from tasty bison and venison with tasty fruit and vegetables that provice natural natural antioxidants and guaranteed levels of zinc, vitamin E and selenium.

Dried chicory root and Yucca Schidigera help support a healthy intestinal flora and contribute to healthy digestion and overall good health. Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids work to together to help maintain healthy skin and a shiny coat as well as overall good health. Tomatoes are also natural sources of vegetable fibre for a healthy digestive system and with healthy vitamins and powerful antioxidants such as beta-carotene and lycopene.

What makes Taste of the Wild dog food different:

• For ALL Life Stages
  • Grain-Free
  • Optimal Amino Acids
  • Roasteed Bison and Venison
  • Natural Antioxidants
  • Omega Fatty Acid Blend
  • Digestive Support System
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Berry Blend
  • Tomatoes and Tomato Pomace
  • No Corn, No Soy
  • Chelated Minerals

All Life-Stages Nutrition - Taste of the Wild dog food is formulated to meet the recommended nutrient profiles of AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) and fulfils the nutritional needs of your pet throughout all stages of life.

Ingredients:

Bison, venison, dried lamb meat, dried chicken meat, eggs, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavourings, tomatoes, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, quality vitamins (A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D, E),minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate) potassium iodide, manganous oxide, biotin, calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, folic acid.

Nutrient guarantee:

Taste of the Wild - High Prairie Canine dog food is formulated to meet the recommended nutrient profiles of AAFCO(Association of American Feed Control Officials.

Oh and :

. The Guaranteed Analysis of this formula contains 32% protein and 18% fat.

I will let you know how it goes ;)

The reason why some dogs seem to prefer kibble over raw is kibble is full of carbs and fillers and other things to make it taste/smell good. Raw is essentially plain since it's just meat and bones. It's not unusual for a dog to initially prefer the kibble, but they begin to enjoy eating the raw.

Taste of the Wild is a good food, and reasonably priced. Cheyenne eats it and it's the ONLY food she will consistently eat.