Could ya send up a prayer?

Austinville

I don't think Gi has posted much about this, and I'm not sure if this might upset her, but gonna do it anyway 'cause my buddy Shad could use your prayers..........

Gi's grand old man, Shadow Dancer, has been under the weather recently. He fell a few weeks back and for a while she was actually carrying him in and out to toilet. For a few days most recently, he'd gone in and out under his own power with Gi beside him 'just in case'.

Yesterday was a very bad day, with Shad not even wanting to drink water. Gi contacted the vet and Shad is now on rimadyl and tramadol. This a.m. she had to force a bit of food down him as he can't have his meds without something in his tum. He is drinking on his own today. Last I talked to Gi, he was very, very tired from the meds, though no longer hurting and seems to be feeling better. He's weak though, of course.

At 14, this grand old man could use you all to send up a few prayers on his behalf. Please and thank you....

(Bless you Shad-man. You're the best old man I've known since my own boy....)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prayer for a Sick Pet

Heavenly Father,

Please help us in our time of need,

You have made us stewards of Shad

If it is Your will, please restore him

to health and strength.

I pray too for other animals in need.

May they be treated with the care and respect

deserving of all Your creation.

Blessed are You Lord God,

and holy is Your name for ever and ever.

Amen.

Get well soon Shad ........Ron Tao and Sky.

Thanks, guys! And no, I'm not upset, Beck - thanks!

He had a stomach upset late in the week (I think his chicken was a little too old - normally hasn't bothered him in the past!) that really bothered his system, which is why he hasn't wanted to eat. Rimadyl can cause major problems on an empty stomach, but the Tramadol is much easier on the stomach - unfortunately, it doesn't last as long, so about the time it would start wearing off, he was in pain again. I've been force-feeding him the last few days, hoping that there isn't something else going on (his last bloodwork results were good - just last November), and that it's just pain and nausea. Once getting something in his system, I could give him the Rimadyl, as well, and with both meds in his system, he's doing much better today! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

He still would rather have me carry him, for the most part, although he's starting to walk more, and becoming more independent again. I have a call in for my vet, asking if there is anything I can give for nausea with the Tramadol, as there is a contra-indication in the literature on the drug for anit-nausea meds with it! A vet-tech friend thought that Omeprazole (can't remember the trade name, that's a generic), being an acid reducer, might be ok, so I'm hoping!

He's more alert today, and doesn't look as miserable, and a while ago, I was watching him sleep - his paws and ears were twitching, and it's been a while since I noticed that, which I take for an indication that he was sleeping well and was comfortable!!!

Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated - I love all my dogs, but Shad is the one I'm most strongly bonded with, and when he passes, as will happen all too soon (he'll be 14 in March), given his health problems, I will be truly devastated. As long as his good days outnumber his bad days... rolleyes.gif

Thanks, all! smile.gif

Prayer for a Sick Pet

Heavenly Father,

Please help us in our time of need,

You have made us stewards of Shad

If it is Your will, please restore him

to health and strength.

I pray too for other animals in need.

May they be treated with the care and respect

deserving of all Your creation.

Blessed are You Lord God,

and holy is Your name for ever and ever.

Amen.

Get well soon Shad ........Ron Tao and Sky.

Amen! (This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!)

Thanks so much, everyone - we appreciate it!! He must be feeling a bit better, he just talked me into taking him out twice while I was trying to write the previous entry and just after - the second time, he just stood around and stared and sniffed at the falling snow! He's a little restless, too, and objecting to any cat that comes to get a drink from HIS water bowl, lol! He also ate a Jordan Almond on his own - he generally loves the candy shell, but hasn't even wanted that in recent days! So - seems the prayers are already working - thanks!

Gigi & Shad

(You know, Sarah, I was at first reluctant to give him the name Shadow, as common as it's used! His older half brother, Wind Dancer developed a type of meningitis and had to be euthanized just before he turned 3, and I bred their mom again, because he'd been such a cool dog and a promising leader. A friend suggested the name Shadow - Shadow Dancer - in honor of Dancer, so that's why I did give it. He's become MY Shadow - he would go everywhere I do, if it were possible, so it turned out to be the right name for him!)

Thanks, Sarah. Unfortunately, that's the price we eventually have to pay for having these wonderful creatures with us (that they're here so short a time), isn't it? Hard price to pay though it is, it's ultimately worth it! I appreciate the support from everyone! smile.gifsmile.gif

Gigi, I have tears in my eyes. I never met such a gentleman as Shad in all my years. Sally, Zoya, and I send you and Shad our prayers and our love. Zoya learned a lot from Shad when they met, and so she sends Husky Hugs for Shad.

Thanks, Dave, Sally and Zoya - it's appreciated! He is a special guy!!! Hopefully, he'll recover and I'll have a little more time with him, though I know it will be all-too short, regardless!

Yes, Sarah, I won't ever forget our good times - or the times that at the time weren't so great, but are a lot more humorous in retrospect!

Hugs back, everyone!!!!! 60.gif

Sending our love & prayers to you Gigi for your beautiful boy Shad xxxxxxx

Thanks, Lisa - I appreciate it (and Shad will too, when he wakes up again)! biggrin.gif

Here's a couple of pictures of my buddy, all happy with his meds and the relief from pain... a much happier camper! smile.gif

gallery_2099_649_19812.jpggallery_2099_649_116098.jpg

Oh my goodness, you know when there is that one dog that just melts your heart with a look, that you just have to hug and cuddle? - well Shad is the one for me, and I have never even met him - just photos. I am so glad he is feeling more comfortable now Gigi - please give him a huge hug from me and mine.