Could ya send up a prayer?

Austinville

I know i dont know any of you on here,but feel like i do.

Gigi,Shadow is a gorgeous boy and i'm sending lotsa <<hugs>> his and your way.

Get well soon Shadow xx

Thanks for the hugs, Tania - we appreciate them! I feel the same about all of you - in a few short months, everyone here hasl become like family to me - thanks! smile.gif

Oh my goodness, you know when there is that one dog that just melts your heart with a look, that you just have to hug and cuddle? - well Shad is the one for me, and I have never even met him - just photos. I am so glad he is feeling more comfortable now Gigi - please give him a huge hug from me and mine.

Thanks, Rosemary! He's awfully special to me - he's one of the most intelligent dogs I've ever met - and I've had several that were awfully bright! Not only is he smart, but wise, as well, and it shows through his eyes... He's been the alpha in my pack for the past 8 years - I'm not sure what we'll do without him when he does eventually leave us... sad.gif

My shadow sends husky hugs to your shadow xxx

Thanks, Storm! Hugs are appreciated!!!

He's still not where I'd like him to be, yet. Unfortunately, with one of the painkillers he's on, you aren't supposed to give any "anit-nausea" medications, so I called my vet last night to see if there was something we could give that would help. He still isn't eating well, and seems to be nauseous when the drugs are leaving his system. There were 3 possibilities, two were more expensive than I can easily afford, but the third is more do-able, but will likely have some sedating effects. If it's not too bad, it should also help keep him more comfy yet, so I'm willing to at least try! He keeps giving me the look that says "I HURT, Mom! Please make it better!" and I suspect that he's about ready to give up if we can't make things better soon... I hate to ask him to hang on, but I also hate to give up too soon - hoping that this is temporary! smile.gif

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Praying_Dog.jpg

Hugs, Love and prayers Gigi sweetheart. I hope he gets better. This is the one thing that scares me, having a dog for so long and losing it. I really hope he pulls through. I'm always here if you need anything, just message me. I'm going to add you on FB too. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Husky Hugs, Becky, Louise, Michelle, Sally and Claire!!! Your thoughts and prayers are cherished! smile.gif

Hugs' date=' Love and prayers Gigi sweetheart. I hope he gets better. This is the one thing that scares me, having a dog for so long and losing it. I really hope he pulls through. I'm always here if you need anything, just message me. I'm going to add you on FB too. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/quote']

smile.gifThank you so very, very much! It's so hard - I've had Sibes now for almost 25 years - my first was Shad's gramma. It's never easy - I miss each one so very much! Yet my life has been so much richer for having them in my life, that even though it tears a piece of my soul away when they have to leave, it's still worth it. His suffering is the worst part, and I would have already said "goodbye", if I didn't think that there was a possibility that he would recover to reasonable health. I look forward to your updates on Facebook!

Yeah, the last year or years are full of ups and downs. I think it's (from my Christian perspective) God's way of preparing me/us for having to eventually say "goodbye" - or perhaps better said - "see you later!" biggrin.gif Makes it harder to know when the time to let go is, though! sad.gif

Thanks for the hugs, Tania - we appreciate them! I feel the same about all of you - in a few short months, everyone here hasl become like family to me - thanks! smile.gif

Thanks, Rosemary! He's awfully special to me - he's one of the most intelligent dogs I've ever met - and I've had several that were awfully bright! Not only is he smart, but wise, as well, and it shows through his eyes... He's been the alpha in my pack for the past 8 years - I'm not sure what we'll do without him when he does eventually leave us... sad.gif

Thanks, Storm! Hugs are appreciated!!!

He's still not where I'd like him to be, yet. Unfortunately, with one of the painkillers he's on, you aren't supposed to give any "anit-nausea" medications, so I called my vet last night to see if there was something we could give that would help. He still isn't eating well, and seems to be nauseous when the drugs are leaving his system. There were 3 possibilities, two were more expensive than I can easily afford, but the third is more do-able, but will likely have some sedating effects. If it's not too bad, it should also help keep him more comfy yet, so I'm willing to at least try! He keeps giving me the look that says "I HURT, Mom! Please make it better!" and I suspect that he's about ready to give up if we can't make things better soon... I hate to ask him to hang on, but I also hate to give up too soon - hoping that this is temporary! smile.gif

Oh Gigi, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know the feeling, and the hope, and given the bond you have with Shad, you will know when he is telling you it's time. I always wondered what it is that tells us, though the message seems to come through loud and clear, as I don't believe I've ever made the decision on "my own." Just remember that our pets live to please us, and they have a purpose, in their lives and ours. Now would be a great time for you to read that book....it will bring tears but also a message! Sending you positive thoughts and prayers and hugs to Shad.

wow what a gorgeous boy, he has a look of my ozzy. Please give him a massive cuddle from me, i hope he starts to feel better soon and stops suffering xxx

Thanks, Diz, I think he's awfully handsome, too. He's special; out of all the dogs I have and have had, he and his mom are the two I've bonded most closely with...

Love to Shadow who this a.m. was awake, aware and thirsty this a.m. (per my text from G).

Bless you Shad man. We're pulling and praying for ya!

Thanks, Beck!!!

I've been giving him a sedative to relieve his nausea, and because of it, he hasn't been drinking - much too sleepy, where before, he was too nauseous, so when he was happy to drink this morning, I actually let him have a little too much - he brought some of it back up. Still, he's looking and feeling a bit better. He wouldn't go out yesterday (I tried to take him, and he gave me "the look" and wouldn't even stand, so that I could pick him up to carry him out!), but went out and peed this morning. I get the idea that he feels better today, and is really relieved to be able to lay in some position other than flat out on one side or another, and to be able to somewhat shift from one position to another on his own... The initial dose was too strong for him, so I've been backing it off - I think that sleeping so much at first probably was good for him - allowed his stomach and his injury to start healing better than would have been possible otherwise, though!

Oh Gigi, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know the feeling, and the hope, and given the bond you have with Shad, you will know when he is telling you it's time. I always wondered what it is that tells us, though the message seems to come through loud and clear, as I don't believe I've ever made the decision on "my own." Just remember that our pets live to please us, and they have a purpose, in their lives and ours. Now would be a great time for you to read that book....it will bring tears but also a message! Sending you positive thoughts and prayers and hugs to Shad.

Thanks, Nanci! I think he's been wondering himself if it's time, or not, as I have. I just have a gut feeling that what's wrong is the initial injury that has been aggravated by an occasional slip and fall (when he tries for too much independence, such as going down the stairs outside ahead of me). The Rimadyl, while it eased his discomfort, I think irritated a stomach that was already upset by pain - I had stopped giving it for a couple of days when he had been sick, and had trouble getting him to eat because of that! I'm hoping that as the nausea is controlled, he'll start eating and drinking better, and that we can get the pain under control better, too, and he can heal. Bloodwork done just about 2 months ago was good - no indications of liver or kidney problems that were serious, and the indicators for cancer were good, too, so his general health is probably pretty good, other than this... I'm working on a library book that is due back pretty soon, but intend to get to your book next - thanks!!!!!

Thanks also (so much!!!) for the positive thoughts and prayers! smile.gif

You will know when it is time to let him go. Letting Buck go was the worst day of my life but it had to be done. You love them to much to let them suffer more than is acceptable

We are sending you all the positive vibs we can

Thanks, Meesh! Yes, it's a struggle to neither hang on too long nor let go too soon. It's a familiar tightrope, as I've gone through this with several before... sad.gif As I said in my previous post (while I think you posted this one! wink.gif), I am hopeful that he is healthy enough, other than the injury, complicated more recently by pain from re-injury and nausea, and that if I can get him past this, he'll have more healthy, quality time left to him...

Love those positive vibes - thanks!

I know we've talked about Rimadyl before, and all I can say is that each dog that I gave it to got terribly worse in a matter of weeks and didn't have a very good quality of life after that. I'm not sure I'll ever give another dog Rimadyl again because of how it tears up their insides. Thinking of you and watching the snow...again.:unsure:

I know we've talked about Rimadyl before, and all I can say is that each dog that I gave it to got terribly worse in a matter of weeks and didn't have a very good quality of life after that. I'm not sure I'll ever give another dog Rimadyl again because of how it tears up their insides. Thinking of you and watching the snow...again.:unsure:

My older husky Bo was on Rimadyl without problems, fortunately. I did my research before putting him on it, as I hope all pet owners check into the drugs they give their pets. You also need to talk with your vet and get their feelings on the drug as well. It has to be a two way discussion. Do the research so your questions and concerns can be answered. (I'm not saying you didn't do this, just passing a long a bit of advice for others who may be or could find themselves in a similar situation.) As with all medications, dog or human, you need to know what it is you're putting in the body and weigh the plus' and minus' of it.

A good site for information on Rimadyl is this one from Senior Dogs.

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadylfaqs.html#recovery%20from%20Rimadyl